JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cascadia Event Book Review and Resource Guide
"Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy." — Max Mayfield, Director National Hurricane Center

line.png
I thought it might be helpful to put together a book review and general resource guide on the topic of surviving a Cascadia subduction zone event. The list belong contains books, manuals, and related. I have included a summary of the text and some feedback as to the value of the of the material, expressed in one to five stars (★) or none at all (✗). For this list, I focused only on books (and similar), though there are good documentaries out there. I am also aware of two fictional books on the topic, and have copies, but have not had a chance to read them, so I am only focusing on non-fiction works.
The list is primarily focused on a Cascadia event, earthquakes and tsunamis. Should it be of interest, in the past I have created more general survival book reviews:

So, without further ado:

Title: Living with Earthquakes in the Pacific Northwest: A Survivor's Guide
Author: Prof. Robert S. Yeats
Publisher: Oregon State University Press
Year: 2004
Cost: $6-10-ish
Format: Paperback
Summary: This is a great "all in one" guide to the topic of earthquakes and tsunamis, and preparedness for said, in the Pacific Northwest. It covers the scientific background, the impact it would have upon the region, the rôle of government in preparedness, what the individual can do to be prepare, etc. The presentation is a little dry, and some of the scientific material may be "overkill" for someone just looking to know what to do around the house, but this is a fine manual.
Rating: ★★★★★

Title: Full Rip 9.0: The Next Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest
Author: Sandi Doughton
Publisher: Sasquatch Books
Year: 2014
Cost: $10-15-ish
Format: Paperback and Kindle
Summary: If one is looking for the entire backstory on the science behind the topic, this is the book to read. It is written in an engaging style and the material is presented in such a manner that a layperson can understand the complex geological factors involved. It is, however, primarily a science text, and not a preparedness book. The latter topic is only briefly touched upon. Still, I found it very informative.
Rating: ★★★★

Title: Living on Shaky Ground
Author: Oregon Emergency Management
Publisher: Same
Year: 2009
Cost: Free
Format: Adobe PDF and Paperback
Summary: This is a basic guide published by OEM on the topic.
Rating: ★★★

Title: Simplified Seismic Assessment of Detached Single—Family, Wood—Frame Dwellings (P-50) and Seismic Retrofit Guidelines for Detached, Single—Family, Wood—Frame Dwellings (P-50-1)
Author: Applied Technology Council
Publisher: Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
Year: 2012
Format: Adobe PDF (see above links) and Paperback
Summary: The title pretty much spells out what this is for. The material is pretty thorough and the books are well illustrated.

Title: Reducing the Risks of Nonstructural Earthquake Damage
Author: Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
Year: 2012
Summary: This is a guide to nonstructural components (e.g., chimneys, storage tanks, piping, duct work, elevators, bookcases, waterheaters, et al.).
Format: Adobe PDF, Paperback and CD-ROM
Rating: ★★★★★

Title: Minimizing Damage and Repair Costs to Manufactured Homes During an Earthquake
Author: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Year: 1995
Format: Adobe PDF
Summary: This is a free guide published for those that live in manufactured homes and wish to improve their chances during an earthquake

Title: Rapid Visual Screening of Buildings for Potential Seismic Hazards: A Handbook
Author: Applied Technology Council
Year: 2016
Summary: This book covers just about every type of building imaginable and is for individuals so trained to indentify and document buildings that are potentially vulnerable to seismic activity.

Title: Seismic Considerations for Communities at Risk
Author: Building Seismic Safety Council
Year: 1995
Summary: It is a guide, albeit somewhat dated, for individuals and community leaders to assess seismic risk and make decisions on what to do about said.
Rating: ★★

Title: Cascadia Subduction Zone: Reflections of an Innocent Bystander
Author: Linda Roggenburg
Publisher: Amazon Digital Services
Year: 2017
Cost: $8-10-ish
Summary: Unlike some of the other texts that are written by scientists, journalists, and preparedness authors, this one is from the perspective of an ordinary person (a late-60s retiree, painter, and widow) who lives on the coast. While it is commendable that the author recognized the danger, she is, how do I put this: clueless. I am sorry to be so blunt, but this book has almost no value. The author does make minimal preparedness plans (a semi-lame bug out plan, some basic supplies stored, etc.), but that is about it. A large part of the book is her being scared out of her mind at her worse fears (a tsunami), while still living, literally, on the ocean shore. Another large part of the text is her quixotic attempts at getting government officials to do anything, including copying their correspondence back and forth. She says even contemplating owning a firearm is, and I quote, "madness", but then later in the book admits that the desperate people will just take her stuff, though she does ponder what art supplies to bug out with. Her solution to being prepared for a Cascadia event? Panicking and moving to Florida, then finding she misses Oregon, moves back to the same community (albeit on higher ground), panicking again, and moving to Florida. This one is just a waste of time.
Rating: ✗

Title: My Earthquake Preparedness Guide
Author: Jackie Kloosterboer
Publisher: FriesenPress
Year: 2013
Cost: $6-10-ish
Summary: This is a short (under 100 pages), no frills, basic guide to earthquake survival. Most, if not all of the material, can be found online. But as a short guide, one could do worse.

Title: Cascadia Rising 2016 Exercise: Statewide After-Action Final Report
Author: Oregon Office of Emergency Management
Year: 2017
Format: Adobe PDF
Summary: The title pretty much spells this one out.

Title: Preparing for a Suburban or Rural Community
Author: Michael Mabee
Publisher: CreateSpace
Year: 2013
Cost: Bizarrely $91-ish on Amazon now. (I think I paid something south of $20.)
Summary: While this is more focused on an EMP event, it could work for Cascadia preparations, as it is a guide to setting up a civil defense organization in a small community before a serious disaster. It is pretty decent primer that covers major topics (organizational structure, legal issues, logistics, defense, armament, et al.)

Title: 9.0 Cascadia Earthquake Survival: How to Survive the Coming Megathrust Quake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest
Author: Damian Brindle
Publisher: Amazon Digital Services
Year: 2018
Cost: $4.99—8.99
Format: Kindle or Paperback
Summary: This is not a bad, short, overview of the science and needed preparations for this particular event. The formatting and grammar could use some polish and there was at least one short section I thought was a tad dubious, but overall it has value.
Rating: ★★

Title: The Survival Home Manual: Architectural Design, Construction, and Remodeling of Self-sufficient Residences and Retreats
Author: Joel M. Skousen
Publisher: Survival Homes, Inc.
Year: 1977
Cost: $30-ish
Summary: Though it is dated, out of print and not specific to a Cascadia event, I have found this an interesting guide over the years. As such, it warrants inclusion.

Anyway, I hope this list helps with your preparedness planning and activities. Parenthetically, as this is a book review, I would be remiss if I did not mention NWFA has an affiliation with Amazon. It costs you nothing, but a percentage of the book (or whatever) sale goes to @Joe Link to help keep things running here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Observation: Oh, so many threats out there and the ways to mitigate them all conflict... Quake/tornado you want downstairs, home invasion you want everybody upstairs with a single "fatal funnel" staircase...

I've gotten to a point where I don't even use bookcases anymore, just keep 'em in labeled and indexed boxes on the floor. It's the one area of Prep where the Ostrich Sisters don't sabotage my every effort and UN-do things just as soon as I finish doing them if not before... seriously, I can't even keep ONE DAMN CASE of bottled water set aside without them breaking it open and using it. Part of me wants to tell 'em "if you two wanna give up and DIE when the Big One hits that's your business, but SOME of us still have lives to live and stuff to live for..."

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads