JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

I was shooting my glock 26 today when I had a fte but the weird thing was a cartridge did manage to feed in front of the spent case. How the bubblegum does that happen? (Glock haters chime in now) Anyways as this is my primary carry sidearm I want to get it to the doctor lickety split as Im not gonna poke around it w a live cartridge chambered. Any recommendations as to where the heck I can take it? I live in PDX metro but can drive an hour either direction.

thanks!!!

Glock ignorant, (can't hate something you don't know about) so my advice is worth less than 2 cents. But there certainly should be a method to disassemble (get the firing pin away from the rear of the live case) and go from there. This should NOT be something you cannot safely handle if you are intimately familiar (read: primary carry) with the weapon. (No smith should be needed, unless the gun does it on repeated occasions, and therefore a repair is mandated. ) If you had a case head separation (no fault of the gun), the old tried and true method of removal is to run an oversize brass brush into the rear of the fractured case, then pull back. The brass bristles will almost always grab the case and it'll come with the brush on the return stroke. Works for centerfire rifles, too. Sometimes prep is advised by a good penetrant delivered to get to the outside of the case between the case and chamber, then degrease the interior of the case to facilitate the bristle grab.

Weird concidence: I was shooting my Kimber Match Target today when I had no fte's, and everything went flawlessly (as usual). How the bubblegum does that happen?

from what I can tell the spent case is stuck behind the cartridge which is chambered. the slide is closed and moves mabye 1/4" its just peanut butter and jammed up in there. The slide wont open far enough to do much of anything.

Well, in that case, you have a lot of insulation between your firing pin and its target (the live primer). No warranties expressed or implied, but it is really probably not dangerous to mess with.

Honestly, I cannot imagine how this would happen, and the slide close with an empty case behind a live round. If it won't open, how do you know what's in there?

Help is just around the corner, I'm sure. No shortage of non-Glock-ignorant persons on this website.

From a Glock-ignoramus, here's what I would do. Emphasis on "I". try a cleaning rod (no jag or brush) in the muzzle and see if you can get things to budge from that end. If you don't trust the fact you have a lot of stuff between the firing pin and the primer, so it CANNOT ignite, perhaps a wooden plank at the muzzle to push the rod in (so no human parts are at that end).

empty case behind live round. Can you press the slide back and drive the empty case out the mag well (may take two ppl). after that drive the roound out with a dowel and hammer should be no problem. as stated pics would be helpful.

from what I can tell the spent case is stuck behind the cartridge which is chambered. the slide is closed and moves mabye 1/4" its just peanut butter and jammed up in there. The slide wont open far enough to do much of anything.

I am really not understanding this. To get this straight.....you've got the rear of the slide which houses the striker, then a spent casing, then a live round in the chamber, and the slide was able to close on all of this? How? There isn't enough room for everything to fit. Can you eject the magazine? Better yet, can you post pictures?

I'm not glock familiar, more of a 1911 and sig fan.

But the only thing i can think is the empty casing is still caught by the extractor and was mangled enough that it's bindind on something. Pictures would be awesomely helpful.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

The spent round was weakly extracted and got caught by the slide as it returned to battery, seen it done, sort of an inverse of a type 3 malfunction. What I'm not seeing is why you can't clear the weapon, I suspect you just haven't tried vigorously enough.

this sounds like exactly what happened. The reason I think theres a case behind is i did not see the case eject and if I look up the mag well I can kinda see the head of the live cartridge and something behind it, hard to see though. I thought of taking a picture but the slide doesnt budge more than a fraction of an inch so the picture would look normal. Ive tried very vigorously but im not the strongest guy. I dont think the live cartridge is stuck at all in the barrel. I just think the whole mess is jammed up.

empty case behind live round. Can you press the slide back and drive the empty case out the mag well (may take two ppl). after that drive the roound out with a dowel and hammer should be no problem. as stated pics would be helpful.

yes i certainly cant do it myself, might have to try 2 people but i gotta keep safety in mind and not sure the safest way for 2 people to do this.

Like most before me, I am not a Glock hater, just do now own a Glock and I know nothing about Glocks. I will share my insigths, but not before the...

Legal DISCLAIMER: perform the steps described below at your own risk, no warranties expressed or implied.

IMHO, since the slide is not in battery, the striker will not fire even if you pull the trigger. Handling your gun should be safe. Try leaning down on the frame while pushing the slide up using the edge of a table or bench as shown in the picture. Put a phone book or similar at the end of the muzzle just in case. Needless is to say, just try to keep your feet, legs, and groin out of muzzles way. :) Escalate force gradually. Try tapping before trying a big push.

SSPX0038.jpg

Ok now that ive had a second to really look at things it seems there might not be a stuck spent case after all. It appears that I can not eject the live cartridge because the extractor is not contacting the extraction groove of the cartridge. the rim of the cartridge is just in front of the extractor. If i pull the slide back the 1/8" of an inch it will slide and look thru the grip, the cartridge seems like its trying to angle itself down like its trying to go back into the magazine had their been one inserted. Its not even making contact with the extractor. Could it be possible that a .380 case made it into my 9x19 brass and although i was pretty meticulous about sorting accidents do happen? Is this fixable?

god the moron meter above my head is glowing bright red right about now...

ok hope this helps and hope the pics show up.

image 4291 shows a view looking into the grip with no rearward pressure of the slide

image 4292 shows the same picture. This time ive pulled the slide back as far as I can before getting stuck. it only moves about 1/8" not enough to lock it or disassemble it.

image 4294 shows a view looking at the ejection port and extractor with the slide pulled back as far as it can before getting stuck. the glare you are seeing from the brass is actually the rim of the cartridge. notice how it is in front of the extractor. the extractor has not engaged it.

does this help at all?

IMG_4291.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

IMG_4294.jpg

Stuck case, not a big deal. Happens on occasion.

The first thing I would do is hang onto the slide firmly (overhand grip) and then take your shooting hand and firmly smack the the FRAME forward to try and dislodge things. This takes care of 99 percent of issues like this in short order.

If that doesn't work, get an armorer to take the thing apart. Should be able to take the slide cover plate off and help a couple of things. 1) get the striker out so you don't have to worry about that... I wouldn't be worried but it's gonna come out so a minor plus. 2) The extractor plunger spring is back there and can be pulled. Once the extractor plunger spring is out, the extractor should disengage from the casing with a little encouragement, even come entirely out of the slide. Then a little bit more encouragement should get things apart.

If you're not comfortable with it and can't find anyone to work on it up there you can bring it to Dallas and I'll work on it for you. I'm an armorer.

wham bam thank you ma'am!! a little brute force like Dapsrt, Eagle Eye EOD, and civillian75 suggested and I got her free. Cartridge appears to be normal. It wasnt a .380 after all. Man my troubleshootin skills are kinda crap, lol!! Still cant figure out why it happened. I do reload but this particular load seemed to work fine for almost 1000 rounds in my fnx-9. it was 4.6 grains of titegroup under a 115 grain montana gold hp and an oal of 1.135. I finally decide to try it in my glock and within 2 mags this happened. Any ideas?

just wanted to thank everyone for bearing thru my inferior troubleshooting and for participating, especially Eagle Eye EOD for taking considerable time guiding me thru some troubleshooting via PM. You all saved me time and $$ in convincing me its not something that needed to be brought in for repair.

Depends on what you're seeing with that particular case or piece of ammo... being a reloader you know what to look for. I've seen this happen with factory new stuff too so might just be one of those flukes that happen on occasion. Glad you got it squared away!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top