JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for suggestions:

Previously I'd been carrying in a small molle pack that I rigged to hang on the front straps of my pack. It was convenient for sure, but as I found this past weekend, it places too much weight on my straps and I have two very uncomfortable pressure points on my back.

I'm looking at getting a S&W Shield for backpack carry, and I need some way to carry that's convenient and won't interfere with movement on the trail. What say you?

If you're wearing a backpack and want/need to be able to draw w/o doffing your kit, then a shoulder or a chest holster rig may be in order... depending on how big your pack is, if it's above your belt line, then I'm with FMJ... go IWB.

I did a small 8-mile trail hike last month with my G43X 3:30 IWB... worked great.

I have done many hikes, gone fishing, been on long motorcycle rides and all sorts of other adventures with a G26 on my hip with a nice IWB holster and it never has given me any trouble, gotten in my way or bugged me.

I have done many hikes, gone fishing, been on long motorcycle rides and all sorts of other adventures with a G26 on my hip with a nice IWB holster and it never has given me any trouble, gotten in my way or bugged me.

A little off topic, but I never carry on my person when riding a motorcycle; what happens when you go down with such a hard object between you and the pavement/gravel (if riding on the road) is not something you want to experience. Off-road you are much more likely to fall.

YMMV, but I have hit the pavement too many times to risk it. Off-road I fall almost every time I ride. I carry in a tank bag that is quite accessible.

Back on topic, a chest holster/bag is my choice for carrying a handgun when I have a backpack on.

Looking for suggestions:

Previously I'd been carrying in a small molle pack that I rigged to hang on the front straps of my pack. It was convenient for sure, but as I found this past weekend, it places too much weight on my straps and I have two very uncomfortable pressure points on my back.

I'm looking at getting a S&W Shield for backpack carry, and I need some way to carry that's convenient and won't interfere with movement on the trail. What say you?

On all my backpacking trips, I carried my handgun in a nylon Uncle Mike's holster (w/retention strap) on the backpack belt. It's out of the way of all the rigging, and the weight doesn't add considerably to the weight the belt already sits on your hips. I never noticed the weight and the Ruger Bearcat I carried was ready for deployment. Warded off a lot of hippy and earth muffin types too!!

For backpacking, fishing biking or any hands free carry this wood be my choice! Other makers might be as good as well.

Alien Gear Shapeshifter can move effortlessly from your pack to you IWB or OWB to your driving rig to your vehicle mount, etc..

1594132413236.png

Hill People Gear makes a chest pack that might work for you

These are a GREAT option if you don't want an open carry choice. I have a similar pouch I set up from a molle bag I already had. Very handy and can be worn with or without the pack depending on how you rig it.

Depending on where and when you go you might want something a bit beefier than a 9mm, but it's a good all around choice as you most dangerous predator is another human.

I'd want something at least 357 mag ish if I were going into Indian Heaven during huckleberry season (bears fattening up for winter) or a known cougar area.

A little off topic, but I never carry on my person when riding a motorcycle; what happens when you go down with such a hard object between you and the pavement/gravel (if riding on the road) is not something you want to experience. Off-road you are much more likely to fall.

YMMV, but I have hit the pavement too many times to risk it. Off-road I fall almost every time I ride. I carry in a tank bag that is quite accessible.

Back on topic, a chest holster/bag is my choice for carrying a handgun when I have a backpack on.

I was referring to road only, not taking my 675R off road but tank bag has been used by me as well when my wife rides with me because she says my gun digs into her when she's holding onto me.

Dirt bikes I typically carry in a pouch or tank bag type thing too for reason you mentioned, went down hard on a 90 degree turn and leaned in to deep and low sided what felt like onto my gun. Had a nice glock shaped bruise for a week. :s0140:

For backpacking, fishing biking or any hands free carry this wood be my choice! Other makers might be as good as well.
This^^, I carry a GP100 in a Kenai chest rig from these guys. A little spendy, but you dont even know its there

In my active backpacking days I carried a 4" Mod 19 in a belt rig I made. I'm sure even at the tine there were better options but the belt worked well with my backpack and kept the 19 fairly snug and secure.
The 19 eventually became a 66 but I still have the belt and holster.
IMG_1216.JPG

Warded off a lot of hippy and earth muffin types too!!

My experience with these types was usually if we happened upon them they typically left quickly as my backpacking friends and I did not quite fit their 'mold' !

Last Edited:
I tried carrying a DW .44 mag on the belt of a backpack, but it was too heavy and got hungup on brush/etc. - also, taking the backpack off left me without the gun on my person. Not a good thing on the Kenai.

Then I tried with a shoulder holster but it interfered with the backpack straps.

Don't over-think it! We backpack ALL the time and I hunt on my feet...walking many miles a day, up and down big mountains, through brush...etc. and carry a 6" Colt Anaconda - have been for bout 30 years since I bought it new for $550.00 - they go for almost $2500 now. I wish I would have bought 10 of them!!. Hang it out front on your backpack strap so you can draw quick...If your wearing a daypack, holster it like normal on a belt and skip a loop or two so you can slide the gun forward or back for comfort. :)

In my active backpacking days I carried a 4" Mod 19 in a belt rig I made. I'm sure even at the tine there were better options but the belt worked well with my backpack and kept the 19 fairly snug and secure.
The 19 eventually became a 66 but I still have the belt and holster.
View attachment 718899

My experience with these types was usually if we happened upon them they typically left quickly as my backpacking friends and I did not quite fit their 'mold' !

Was their mold green, white, or black? ;)

I have the ALIEN GEAR for my G29. Its a nice setup, and made nearby. But, as stated, removing your pack could be a disadvantage.

I also have a nylon chest holster from Amazon that works great for all but my revolvers.

As mentioned, when I ride I also carry.

Street bike, my HELLCAT goes in my tank bag.

On my dirt bike, I have a MSR chest pack that said G29 fits in nicely with my phone and truck keys. Its zip tied to my chest protector, which insulates me from any impacts when (not "if") I fall.:D

In fact, we recently had occasion on a trail adventure where the G29 was a welcome companion. Finding this sign afterwards made us laugh.

TRAIL 111 033.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top