JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious to know how and maybe what kind of holster people are using while backpacking? I was doing some backpacking this weekend and it became clear to me that how I had my backpack really didn't allow easy access to handgun, so I was wondering what other people were using or how they were carrying?

I just use a backpack hip belt pocket. Probably 100 different models available. Close at hand and concealed. However if I'm backpacking in Alaska, chest harness/holster.

My frame pack had a pretty large map pocket behind my neck so I usually carried my revolver there. I kept its holster and a spare load of six inside the pack. I carried a S&W, 6", .357. Not what you might call a pack gun but if I needed it I didn't want to pop away at the problem. I wanted to destroy it! I was really only concerned with two legged varmints, I've never had any sort of problem with woodland animals.

This type of tanker holster is pretty simple and should work with many types of backpack systems. If you want to be more discrete, I'd imagine a full flap model could be found.

HN45%20Military%20Shoulder%20Holster.PNG

I'd usually just be able use a simple vertical right handed belt holster but have it on my left side.. allowing for a right hand draw and the butt clear the pack. They also can be had with a full flap.

I have a Badlands Super Day pack.

It has a holster on each side of the hip belt that makes it easy to access.

I take my gp100 6" and it doesn't show much at all.

The pack also has a nice boot in the back for a rifle or bow if you want a long gun for anything.

Yes, it's a hunting pack but I've found it's good for just about anything.

Also, if you use a single action semi like a Hi-Power/1911 (fine trail guns/game getters) and carry in condition one, full flaps are actually quite practical.. it's surprising the amount of twigs and whatnot that wind up between the firing pin retaining plate and the hammer. Probably depends on the kind of "hiking" you do but just saying

I've not found a drop leg that is comfortable enough for hiking in the woods. Chaff's and gets banged around if I'm not careful.

It could just be me though.

I swapped the nylon holster most come with for a Bravo Concealment. Then using the rivet holes in the holster I secured it a bit tighter to the drop leg portion using some paracord. It stays put pretty good on my leg compared to how it did with the original nylon holster it came with. I don't mind the slight tension in the part wrapped around the thigh, some pants work better than others. It is way more comfy than hip holster with my pack over it.

And it depends on what you're choosing to carry.. a .22 Beretta 21A for example can sure pop some fools hens for the pot and be carried in your shirt pocket.

I use the Wilderness Safepacker, it fits on my pack's waist belt, it can be used with a shoulder strap. I also use it quite a bit when not backpacking as well, most people think it is some sort of tablet case. I actually use this holster almost as much as my regular IWB concealment holster.

http://www.thewilderness.com/safepacker-concealment-holster/
I like to be able to also, as some others have mentioned, shuck that pack and still have the gun on me. Many vertical field holsters can be worn on your regular belt and the pack belt (of questionable value) can bridge/go between the gun/holster and your body.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top