Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Carrying on an ATV or Dirtbike...

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by glockguy, Jun 2, 2011.

1. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

There was a thread Started about carrying on a street but i didnt wanna high jack that...

So is it illegal to carry on a ATV? Concealed or Openly? Iv heard it was, but seems pretty stupid ...

2. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

It's fine...I'd try a shoulder holster

*edit*

Just noticed you were in Oregon...no idea the laws on that.

3. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

It is illegal:

821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

(2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §729; 1985 c.393 §45; 1985 c.459 §31a; 1987 c.587 §14; 1989 c.991 §15a; 1991 c.589 §1]

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/821.html

166.360 defines loaded as:
    (3) “Loaded firearm” means:

(a) A breech-loading firearm in which there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in or attached to the firearm including but not limited to, in a chamber, magazine or clip which is attached to the firearm.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Further discussed here with full ORS definitions of what is and isn't an ATV:
    http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/26658-atv-snowmobilers-chl-holder-fyi.html

4. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

So uhhh how can people hunt an carry a rifle on their ATV while hunting?

5. SPU

SPU Southwest Oregon Old Fart

They ignore the law and take their chances. Or ride with an unloaded gun.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  6. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

By having it unloaded till you get off to hunt.

Same way people legally have to in WA unless you are a disabled hunter.

Woody and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Now, does "unloaded" mean not chambered, or that there are no rounds in the magazine? I was under the impression that this law was more of a safety concern than anything.

8. JGRuby

JGRuby Portland Oregon New Member

My understanding is that you can have aloaded firearm if you ahve a ccw - just like you cannto have a loaded firearm in a car or a truck legally unless you have a CCW. Correct me if the law says differently please.

Respectfully

James Ruby

9. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

You cannot legally carry a loaded firearm when riding an atv, dirt bike, etc., in Oregon. Concealed permit does not matter. The weapon cannot be loaded. Don't have a link handy, but I looked into it a few months ago and got a definite "No."

10. JGRuby

JGRuby Portland Oregon New Member

Since I dont have an ATV except my F150 it really is a mute point to me - but thanks for clearing it up.

Respectfully

James Ruby

11. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I'll just repost my answer from the previous thread that you didnt want to "high jack".

Safety? No. It's to deter illegal hunting... which is almost equally as stupid.
    "loaded" is up to the officers discretion, but most LEO's i've talked too agree that a round does not have to be chambered for the gun to be considered "loaded". A loaded magazine and an empty chamber is still considered a loaded firearm.

OR_GOG.jpg

12. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

166.360 defines loaded as:
    (3) “Loaded firearm” means:

(a) A breech-loading firearm in which there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in or attached to the firearm including but not limited to, in a chamber, magazine or clip which is attached to the firearm.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

13. cwegga

cwegga Helena, MT Active Member

Well, think again. If you are 4x4ing your F150 counts as far as I can tell.

14. MrNiceGuy

Great find!
    I just printed it out.

15. Phillyfan

"Safety? No. It's to deter illegal hunting... which is almost equally as stupid."

I agree, that is stupid. So guys can drive up and down the logging roads with a round in the chamber, drinking beers (and throwing them on the side of the road), ready to stumble out at any moment to shoot whatever jumps in front of them, but someone on an ATV can't even have a round in the magazine? It's not like we are going to chase down the elk, and shoot it from the back of our moving Kawasaki! Safety is the only thing that makes sense to me, so I am just going to convince myself that it is what they really had in mind when they made the law. It will just help me deal with it.

16. MrNiceGuy

:bluelaugh:

I've found it's better if you dont try to justify most laws.

Try to change them, in the mean time you just have to abide by them.

17. Phillyfan

Well, I'll leave my rifle or bow unloaded, but not my pistol. That's there for my protection. More from the drunk road hunters than the wildlife!

18. i8asquirrel

i8asquirrel Keizer, oregon Member

I atv in central Oregon alot and have had several interactions with LEO's out and about while armed. Only a few times have I had the officer even ask about my rifles in the rack. I have never been asked if I was also carrying a sidearm....CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED

Woody and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

THIS!

20. ablaut

ablaut Salem(ish), OR Member

Wasn't there a bill proposed just a few days ago which would make it legal to carry a loaded firearm on ATVs? I haven't heard anything since Tuesday or so...