JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There was a thread Started about carrying on a street but i didnt wanna high jack that...

So is it illegal to carry on a ATV? Concealed or Openly? Iv heard it was, but seems pretty stupid ...

It is illegal:

821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

(2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §729; 1985 c.393 §45; 1985 c.459 §31a; 1987 c.587 §14; 1989 c.991 §15a; 1991 c.589 §1]

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors821.html

166.360 defines loaded as:
(3) "Loaded firearm" means:

(a) A breech-loading firearm in which there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in or attached to the firearm including but not limited to, in a chamber, magazine or clip which is attached to the firearm.

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

Further discussed here with full ORS definitions of what is and isn't an ATV:
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/26658-atv-snowmobilers-chl-holder-fyi.html

My understanding is that you can have aloaded firearm if you ahve a ccw - just like you cannto have a loaded firearm in a car or a truck legally unless you have a CCW. Correct me if the law says differently please.

Respectfully

James Ruby

You cannot legally carry a loaded firearm when riding an atv, dirt bike, etc., in Oregon. Concealed permit does not matter. The weapon cannot be loaded. Don't have a link handy, but I looked into it a few months ago and got a definite "No."

There was a thread Started about carrying on a street but i didnt wanna high jack that...

So is it illegal to carry on a ATV? Concealed or Openly? Iv heard it was, but seems pretty stupid ...

I'll just repost my answer from the previous thread that you didnt want to "high jack".

Wow, there's a bunch of misinformed gun owners in here. Glad to see that some have done their research.

It is illegal to carry a loaded weapon on an ATV. On your streetbike it is legal.

suggested reading:
OR_GOG.jpg

Oregon Firearms Federation

Now, does "unloaded" mean not chambered, or that there are no rounds in the magazine? I was under the impression that this law was more of a safety concern than anything.

Safety? No. It's to deter illegal hunting... which is almost equally as stupid.
"loaded" is up to the officers discretion, but most LEO's i've talked too agree that a round does not have to be chambered for the gun to be considered "loaded". A loaded magazine and an empty chamber is still considered a loaded firearm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I dont have an ATV except my F150 it really is a mute point to me - but thanks for clearing it up.

Respectfully

James Ruby

Well, think again. If you are 4x4ing your F150 counts as far as I can tell.

Class II ATV
ORS 801.193 defines a Class II ATV as any motor vehicle that:

Weighs more than a Class I ATV (800 pounds);
Is designed for or capable of cross-country travel on or immediately over land, water, sand, snow, ice, swampland or other natural terrain; and
Is actually being operated off a highway or is being operated on a highway for agricultural purposes under ORS 821.191.

"Safety? No. It's to deter illegal hunting... which is almost equally as stupid."

I agree, that is stupid. So guys can drive up and down the logging roads with a round in the chamber, drinking beers (and throwing them on the side of the road), ready to stumble out at any moment to shoot whatever jumps in front of them, but someone on an ATV can't even have a round in the magazine? It's not like we are going to chase down the elk, and shoot it from the back of our moving Kawasaki! Safety is the only thing that makes sense to me, so I am just going to convince myself that it is what they really had in mind when they made the law. It will just help me deal with it.

I atv in central Oregon alot and have had several interactions with LEO's out and about while armed. Only a few times have I had the officer even ask about my rifles in the rack. I have never been asked if I was also carrying a sidearm....CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top