Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Carrying my new Sig P220 for the first time tonight: Heavy gun!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Apr 1, 2010.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I went out and bought a holster for my Sig P220 Carry Stainless Elite today. I bought a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster since I have become so fond of that holster with my 1911's. Of course I tested out the new gun before hand. I was in a huge hurry so I only got to fire off 32 rounds but that was enough to make me sure that no obvious defects were present in the gun. I was not too worried...it is a Sig after all. :)

This gun is called the "carry" model but it is still a pretty big gun. It is also pretty heavy. It is a full 4oz. (1/4lb.) heavier than my Colt Combat Commander...so it is like having an extra Big Mac strapped to your hip. Still, with this holster and my Galco Instructors belt it seems to wear pretty comfortably. It holds the gun fairly high and keeps it very close to my body. Even the large grip frame does not seem to present much of a printing problem (FYI: The Carry model is a shortened slide on a full sized frame). It does create a small bulge at my hip bone but the billow of the sweatshirt covers it pretty well.

I just bought tickets to see "Clash of the Titans" tonight so sitting in a movie theater will be a good comfort test. It will gets it first full day of carry at work tomorrow.

P220Carry1.jpg

P220Carry2.jpg

P220Carry3.jpg

2. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

That carry position doesn't look comfortable, but whatever works for you I guess. How much larger are the waist in those pants than normal ones?

3. PlayboyPenguin

It is actually very comfortable. You can sit, stand, bend, and move with no poking.

The pants are probably about 1"-2" larger than they need to be. They are from when I was about 15lbs heavier.

4. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

I thought BATMAN didn't need no stinkin gun. :bluelaugh:

5. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Portland, OR Member

Thats quite alot of gun for a ccw, but you'll be glad you have it should you ever have to use it. Nice Sig!:D

6. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Edit........ Sorry I thought this was the thread about the Unshaven disheveled guy form Medford that was taken in for a psych evaluation....

Never mind..... :p

7. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

you ever thought about doing any modeling, playboy? :D

8. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

where did you get that holster? I have a P239 Id like to get one for like that it

9. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

good to hear your review. I have the same holster coming soon, for a full size 220. I plan on carrying it at about 8:00 (left handed).

10. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

If history has taught me anything about the penguin then I forsee this nice stainless elite comming up for sale soon.

In the meantime, enjoy the sig.

11. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

You beat me to the quote..

Superman see's all though.

LOOKOUT he's right behind you.

12. willseeker

willseeker N. Portland. Well-Known Member

:rofl1:

Oh, I've got to go into Maybels and ask for the guy from Medford!:laugh:

I went into GB in Clackamas this afternoon and looked at a similar 220, not as nice as yours... it's a pretty big gun...ended up putting a deposit on a used P45 for summer carry.

Enjoy it sir, it's a dandy!

Will

13. PlayboyPenguin

I am sitting in the theater right now and the gun is actually quite comfortable.

As for the snarky comments from the peanut gallery...jealousy is such an ugly emotion. :D

14. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

I'd just like to see more pictures of your toy... I mean figurine collection.

15. lucky strike

lucky strike Woodburn Member

I thought I was set on handguns but seeing your new elite is making me think perhaps some tax refund money will go towards a sig

16. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

I picked up a barely used Sig P 239 .40 for $525 with 2 mags n case... Best gun iv bought. it is a lil heavy though, but im getting used to it.. Summer carry may be a lil hard with this, one.. so Im gonna buy a Taurus PT 709. and carry that in the summer. But the sig is an amazing gun

17. rmlarsen

rmlarsen Seattle Member

You're sitting in a theater right now fondling your piece........exactly what movie are you watching?

18. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

The Sig 220, traditional model, has an alum/alloy frame. The stainless Sig 220s I've had, always have had full stainless construction, so they are a little heavier. I preffer the standard 220 for concealed carry, purely due to the weight. I do like the look of stainless, thanks for showing off your new piece.

19. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I've carried full sized handguns for over 20 years and never complained, (BHPs/1911) especially when it was time to actually have to draw one

20. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

I can't imagine carrying that on a regular basis, but it looks good. That's some heavy carry.