JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any of you guys ever seen this? I got it out of the City of Vancouver Muncipal Code.

Vancouver Municipal Code
Chapter 7.11 UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF DANGEROUS KNIVES

Section 7.11.010 Definitions.
a. "Dangerous Knife" means any switch-blade knife or fixed-blade knife; and any other knife having a blade more than three inches in length,
b. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight, edged razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.
c. "Switchblade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring mechanism, or other device, or blade that opens, falls or is ejected into position by force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement.

Section 7.11.020 Unlawful possession of dangerous knives.
a. It is unlawful for anyone knowingly to carry concealed on one's person any dangerous knife.
b. It is unlawful for anyone knowingly to possess any dangerous knife concealed within a vehicle when the dangerous knife is within reaching distance by any vehicle occupant.

Section 7.11.030 Exemptions.
The proscriptions of this chapter relating to dangerous knives shall not apply to:
a. Lawful hunters, campers or fishermen while on a hunting, camping or fishing trip, including education and travel related thereto.
b. Any person carrying a dangerous knife in a secure wrapper or in a tool box while traveling from or to the place of purchase, from or to a place of repair, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another.
c. Any person carrying a dangerous knife while in his place of abode or fixed place of business.
d. Any person engaged in an activity directly related to a lawful occupation which commonly requires the use of a dangerous knife, provided the dangerous knife, if carried on one's person, is carried unconcealed.
e. Any person in the military service or any commissioned law enforcement officer engaged in the performance of his or her duty or training or in the course of any training, acting pursuant to orders from competent authority.

Section 7.11.040 Penalty - Misdemeanor.
Unlawful possession of dangerous knives is a misdemeanor.

Yeah? It's basically the same as the state law.
So that Spiderco that flips open real nice is a dangerous weapon.But as long as you aren't swinging it around,it won't ever be an issue.
Then,just as the state gun laws do,they write another paragraph that almost negate the first one.

I can always fit into one of these categories.I would guess the "dangerous" name will look better in court if a guy is stupid enough to get a policeman's attention with said "dangerous knife"

a. Lawful hunters, campers or fishermen while on a hunting, camping or fishing trip, including education and travel related thereto.
b. Any person carrying a dangerous knife in a secure wrapper or in a tool box while traveling from or to the place of purchase, from or to a place of repair, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another.
c. Any person carrying a dangerous knife while in his place of abode or fixed place of business.
d. Any person engaged in an activity directly related to a lawful occupation which commonly requires the use of a dangerous knife, provided the dangerous knife, if carried on one's person, is carried unconcealed.

Running with scissors isn't illegal just a bad idea lol

But it is ooohhhh soooo dangerous! :eek:

danger-will-robinson3.jpe

When was the last time a cop had his hand in your pocket? I don't worry about stupid things that just don't apply

These kinds of laws are for when a LEO can't charge you with anything else, so they try to charge you with this. Also, it is for "piling on" (adding up charges) and for making you look dangerous when being arrested for something else.

If all else fails, they arrest you for resisting arrest - a Catch-22 charge.

So yes, be afraid, be very afraid. There are LEOs out there who don't like your attitude, your skin color or anything else about you, and they use BS laws like this to make your life hell.

I live just north of Vancouver and this is what I do:

3" folder or smaller in Vancouver period.!.!.!.!

Out of the city I'll carry a 3" fixed blade at times but I never conceal it.

That will insure you can't be charged with concealing or carrying a dangerous weapon.

Fixed blade in your hunting gear or tackle box is OK IF your going hunting or fishing - otherwise stay away from fixed blades at all time in the city limits.

Just my 2¢ for what it's worth.

My wife is dumbfounded that I can conceal any pistol I want but a pocket knife is something I change out when I leave the house, just incase we pass the city limits...

I hate knife laws. It's completely ridiculous. I actually just bought a new knofe to be in compliance of the 3" rule. But just like any other law, it will depend on how/why you are wuestioned about it.
Most leos carry benchemade or like that don't fall in those descriptions.

But try finding a knife nowadays that isn't a spring assist.

I'm going to start carrying my AR pistol in protest of the ridiculous nature in which the laws are ignorantly written.

Last Edited:
I bought a kershaw that has a nub on the backside the once pushed down pops the blade up.

I figure as long as I'm not some dirtbag hood I should be ok. LEOs usually will reflect the attitude given. As long as your doing anything stupid or being a jackwagon then you most likely won't ever have to worry about it.

I bought a kershaw that has a nub on the backside the once pushed down pops the blade up.

I figure as long as I'm not some dirtbag hood I should be ok. LEOs usually will reflect the attitude given. As long as your doing anything stupid or being a jackwagon then you most likely won't ever have to worry about it.

Absolutely agreed;).

I stuck with the 3" because if I ever had to use it, I wanted to be covered legally and not have used against me.

I went and bought a new carry knife for this reason. To be at or under 3".

But now I hate it, to manipulate it is dangerous in it's own right.

Maybe thats why, they want to make it dangerous for you to use it. It's just too small too use safely.

I went and bought a new carry knife for this reason. To be at or under 3".

But now I hate it, to manipulate it is dangerous in it's own right.

Maybe thats why, they want to make it dangerous for you to use it. It's just too small too use safely.

OMG, this has been a useful thread and the last thing I have to read is that?!

I'll just close by saying, "that's what she said". o_O

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top