Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Carrying in church does it's part to save you.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by bnsaibum, Apr 2, 2012.

1. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

2. duran21

duran21 Lacey Active Member

I carry in church all the time... you never know when some one will open fire, and church can be a target like any other.

3. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Salem Well-Known Member

Church is typically a target-rich environment for the enterprising scumbag- lots of people, usually nobody is armed, and there is a higher percentage of old people and people with small children- not the types of people that would typically fight back. This is why I think more people should carry to church. We had an incident a couple years ago where myself and 2 others had to physically subdue a vagrant that caused a ruckus, stole money and then started threatening people. This was before I got my chl- I'd feel better about handling the situation now that I'm nearly always carrying

4. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

Many churches in high(er) crime areas are organizing armed volunteers from the congregation to act as "ministers of security." There is at least one mega-church in Houston TX, I believe, which conducts a training program for that purpose. I work with a colleague who has gone through that training and has a security team up and running in his NE Portland church. It was such a team which stopped a mass killing in Colorado Springs in 2007.

Traditionally most folks believe it shouldn't be necessary to be armed in church. You know what? They are right. We shouldn't need to be armed. But that's not reality. There's the way it aught to be, and there's the way it is.

5. .40cal EMT

.40cal EMT Portland, OR Member

I recently started doing this as well, to my knowlege I am the only one, again I go to a smaller church, and I know everyone there, the pastor, and a couple of other elders are some good shooting friends, and the pastors wife is a great shot.

There is a thread on ar15.com in the CC sestion about how to carry in church

6. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

Even though most of these church incidences do not involve the offering plate, some do. May I relate a very funny thing that happened several years ago:

We were having service and a drunk came into the church and sat down..now, was he there for the offering plate? You decide.

After the service my mom (my dad was the pastor) stopped and talked to the drunk, and he said "I missed something, I did not see the offering plate go arround" Mom says "oh, we do not do that here, would you like to stay for pot luck?" The drunk responds...."I must have died and gone to heaven...a church that does not want my money, and then askes if I want to eat."

7. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

At my church I can look around and say Sig, glock, khar, Taurus and of course my own kimber. We are a well armed congregation.

8. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

And if most Christians believed for one second in yhe essential pacifism of Christ they'd be un manned. -Film at 11., Jesus doesn't recognize 99% of his followers.

9. .40cal EMT

.40cal EMT Portland, OR Member

I don't understand what your trying to say.

If your saying Christ was a pacifist then, id dissagree, I Remember Jesus tossing some tables in the temple with basicly a whip in hand. Manytimes in the bible its discussed that the jews fight, well most of the books of moses the Jews were fighting someone, or taking land because God told them to do so. God is a just God, but he is also an angry God. King David was a man of war, most of his life was war. So being a beleiver in Christ does not mean roll on ones back and show the belly,
    it to me means living a standard diffrent, while I'm by no means perfect I do try.

If I missed your point completly I will say sorry

10. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I would add that Peter carried a sword.

.40cal EMT and (deleted member) like this.
  11. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Junction City Active Member

If God is my copilot, imagine what He can do for my aim! He does help those who help themselves, after all!

bnsaibum and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Working 4 U

Working 4 U Eugene Active Member

If God is your co-pilot might I suggest you switch seats with him.:thumbup:

13. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Too many Christians, not enough lions. I do agree that it is a very good choice to carry there though.

14. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

LOL, Working 4 U. I love your thinking.

"Too many Christians, not enough lions. " Gummer interesting observation. Jesus is called the Lion of Judah. And we are supposed to be christ like. Therefor we should be more loin like.

15. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I was just thinking how my own will be nice and comfortable tomorrow under the slacks.

16. DMax

DMax Yamhill Well-Known Member

With the assualt on christians in this country right know it would be Un American Not to carry. I think more preachers carry than we know. I do know one and he tells me he know many that do.

17. Bulletsrrfriend

Bulletsrrfriend Longview Member

My main reason for carrying concealed is to protect myself and my family. So yes, I do carry at church and if the need arose I would defend the members of the church. As a general rule I do not go anywhere without a gun unless it is not allowed. I try really hard to avoid places that ban concealed carry.

Nightshade and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Fat Jesus

Fat Jesus Oregon Member

But shouldnt Jesus protect you?

19. JSJPDX

JSJPDX East Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

He does protect me by blessing me with enough income for a suitable firearm, enough training to know how to use it, enough ammunition to practice and the discernment to know when to use it.

20. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Ugh.