JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wanted to ask a couple of questions on carrying in Oregon while I'm visiting. First, let me say that it isn't fear or anything that is making me want to carry in Oregon, it's just that it will make me feel a bit more comfortable as a whole. I open and conceal carry at home as I don't live in the best place. I haven't applied for a Conceal Carry License in cali mainly because Riverside County doesn't accept Personal/Self defense as a legit reason for approval (Screw Kommiefornia... I'm working on moving). I tried searching CalGuns and here for more into on it, but not much came up that I didnt already know (which I went over below)... I went through 10 pages of search results on both and a few pages on google, but no joy.

So the questions. First off, can I Open Carry? Some of the activities I do in Portland would obviously limit it (although most of the dont forbid carrying in their policies, I'd rather not annoy the people organizing it). But as a whole, for example, walking around town, driving, going into Voodoo Donuts or Biscuits, would it be an issue for a Ca resident to OC in Oregon?

Next up, Conceal Carry... I know that I can apply with an existing LTC from Ca. But, I dont have one. So if I were to apply for a LTC in Oregon as an out of state resident, I know I have to go into a Sheriffs office to do so, would I need to have a course to show proof of training or would they be willing to have me show competence while there? Is there anything forbidding me from going anywhere to get the training and "certification" during normal business hours and then directly to the Sheriffs office to get a LTC? I know a place to get a course around here, but his next one isnt for a few weeks (and I'm going to and hoping to apply for the CCW when I go which is a week before his course).

On the above, I noticed another member say that the test from the MD State Police online was good enough ( MD Firearms Safety Training ) but I cant find other information on it. Any ideas if this would suffice for the requirements on the CCW in Oregon?

And if no to Open Carry and if I cant get a Concealed Carry, what is the policy on having my weapon in Oregon while I'm there. I may want to take my Canadian friends shooting during the trip if I can sweet talk him into it.

Thanks for anything you guys can offer,
--John

Would the MD State Police online course qualify to get the permit? I'm looking into seeing if the guy doing the local training in a few weeks can do a private course for a bit more just so I can get the certification to get the permit. Do I need to have the firearm present when applying or not? And that would tie into the transporting it into Or to go to the range with a friend as well I suppose.

Thanks for the quick response though. I was thinking I'd be waiting a day or 2 for an answer

--John

You need to take a course where handgun safety is a component. It could even be a hunter safety course. I think the MD course would work because it's from a LE agency.

Here's the applicable portion of ORS 166.291 Issuance of concealed handgun license; application; fees; liability.
(f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:
(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;
(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;
(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;
(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;
(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or
(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

I also would suggest not open carrying in Portland. They have a law prohibiting carrying a loaded firearm. CHL holders are exempted.

Back when I applied for my Oregon CHL, I was told by the Sheriff's office that If I had proof of military service, they would waive the classroom part of the CHL process. (saves $20 too). You would still need to go through the rest of the process though.

Oregon CHL holders can open carry legally in Oregon, but I wouldn't advise doing it here in Portland unless you want to attract a lot of cop attention for some reason. You would probably be fine for open carry elsewhere in the state.

Open carry is legal in Oregon - but some cities have ordinances against it (which are waived for CHL holders). Portland, Salem, Beaverton, Eugene, Springfield, Ashland, and Medford, IIRC. Basically anywhere you go that has a sizeable population.

Oregon actually has some of the best gun laws around - and aside from requiring a permit to carry concealed, we've got some of the most relax restrictions on where we can carry (unless some of the gun bills get passed in legislature this year...)

You can not walk into the Sheriff's office and walk out with a permit. You must submit you application, get picture and prints taken and they will run the background check. It could easily take 30 days.

If you want to shoot with your friends, I would keep the gun unloaded and in the trunk. No completely necessary, but better safe than sorry. IMHO.

You can not walk into the Sheriff's office and walk out with a permit. You must submit you application, get picture and prints taken and they will run the background check. It could easily take 30 days.

If you want to shoot with your friends, I would keep the gun unloaded and in the trunk. No completely necessary, but better safe than sorry. IMHO.

I wasn't planning that. I've seen anywhere from 10 days to 4 Weeks from people posting about it. I'm going top keep looking for a local nra instructor toget that requirement filled

Thanks everyone,
--John

If I were in your situation I'd call the sheriff's office in the OR county where you want to apply for a CHL. Even though I've read that the MD course has worked for getting a CHL in Washington county I was told by the Columbia county Sheriff's office that it would not work since it didn't show NRA certification on the completion certificate.

for a minute, i thought you guys were telling him he needed a permit to open carry LOL.

But yeah, I'll second (or third, fourth, whatever) that i was told that unless you have a chl permit to keep the ammo and the pistol separate while in transit in your vehicle, and best stored in the back or trunk - since Oregon seems to consider your private vehicle public property for some reason lol.

Oregon's gun laws are "OK", but not great. The carry laws are reasonable, but when having to use the gun in self-defense, it gets more sludgy. I must admit, Washington is a step behind Oregon.

Open carry is legal in Oregon - but some cities have ordinances against it (which are waived for CHL holders). Portland, Salem, Beaverton, Eugene, Springfield, Ashland, and Medford, IIRC. Basically anywhere you go that has a sizeable population.

QUOTE]

Medford does have any restriction on open carry.

No permit no legal carry.

Not True! You can OC without a permit in OR and WA. In OR you have to be aware that LOADED OC is restricted in Portland, Beverton, Tigard, Salem, Astoria and a few other cities (see opencarry.org/OR.html)

Unlicensed LOADED OC is 100% legal in Oregon WITHOUT a permit everywhere but those few cities. Your car is like your home, you can OC loaded in your car too.

OH yes! And to +1 another post. Sheriff Palmer is YOUR friend!!!! Talk to him about a Non-Resident OR CHL.

Oregon actually has some of the best gun laws around - and aside from requiring a permit to carry concealed, we've got some of the most relax restrictions on where we can carry (unless some of the gun bills get passed in legislature this year...)

WRONG!!! No restrictions in Eugene, Springfield or Ashland, there is no town ordenance I can find.

YOU prove it. Post the town ordenance...linkable so we all can read it.

I can post the town Ordanence for Portland, Salem, Tigard, Beverton, Oregon City and Astoria...Someone has said Newport (on the coast) but I haven't found the ordenence yet. As I said, Go to Opencarry.org and look. On the OCDO site there is a specific form for Oregon, the first sticky, about post #20 is a printable quick list.

Oh yes: It is not a good idea to CC without a CHL...it is not worth it,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads