JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've read lots of posts in forums about the subject, all from the "citizens" point of view. Here is a good article from a LEO POV: <broken link removed>

I found it interesting and informative, you may too. Please don't turn this into a bash the police thread.

Last Edited:
That is a great article, and refreshing to hear from a LEO perspective. Especially for CCW guys who hate the idea of cops being cautious around an armed person.

Good article. If most the cops I know weren't already of the good mindset described in it, I would print it off and give it to them. May anyway to share with those they know that don't share the "treat them with respect and as a resource" mindset. Its especially nice since it's written by a LEO for LEO's. Sometimes its easier to take advice when its a peer giving it to us, regardless of our profession...

I noticed that i have almost all of the telltale habits mentioned. I always adjust my pants after getting out of the car, touch the gun from the outside to make sure it is secure, and scan the area. Those aren't bad things to do, though, IMO. If a cop sees me and suspects I have a gun, good for him, I don't care. If a bad guys supects it, chances are he isn't going to pick me as a target, perfect.

Thanks for the post, it was a great read. I have read similar articles, but it is always a great reminder.

I have been pulled over a couple of times and have had no issues. I handed my CCL over with my license and ensured I kept the interior light on and hands up and in view.

Learn your State laws. Learn your Amendment Rights. Don't cause yourself unneeded attention. And Act like a responsible human being. I have had many encounters with our LEOs and from what I have seen in my local community is, THEY ARE NOT OUT TO GET YOU. Unless you give them a GOOD reason. :)
By the way. I OWB carry. Concealed in the cold weather (coat) and open in the warm weather. :)
Dave

The most likely place this is going to come up in during a traffic stop. I have gotten into huge arguements with other cops as to how to handle a CHL holder. It pops up on the screen during a DL check.

Fair warning: some officers are very scared about this.

My take, and what I try to impress upon others is: Treat every traffic stop as if the person is armed. A chl holder is someone who has jumped through a lot of hoops to get a piece of paper and plastic. And the odds are damn high they are a good guy.

Every other stop you make, you can't assume that a person doesn't have a gun because they don't have a chl.

So a chl holder is not deserving of any sort of special attention or questioning.

I normally take the chl info for what it is and leave it at that. I may remind someone if they are carrying to please keep it concealed ("No. Thanks, I don't need to see your gun right now") or things may go bad very quickly. Most are thankful for that.

fwiw...

Im not a LEO, but z-PDX's comments are right in line with what I have thought... Criminals wont go through the trouble to get a CHL... they just pack for obvious reasons. If they have a CHL, why harass them??? be worried about the other cars with dark tint window packed full of Hommy~G's friends.

I've been pulled over several times in the last 20 years while carrying. (I don't speed as much as I used to!) Every time I have informed the officer that I had a permit to carry and let them know if I did, or didn't have a firearm with me. Not once have I been treated poorly, and a couple of times it has led to a firearms conversation.

the article is really a refreshing one at that !--- i don't have my ccp yet . my wife , and i have the class to finish up . then in about a month we'll be able to get them . (money) counts in this situation-- also , my wife , and i both carry huntg. & fishg. lic. almost all times -- so this does take some of the heat off when being questioned . if i do have any trouble with the particular officer i'm dealing with , i always ask for a "OSP" officer to come to my aid, before i let conversations get out of hand......

my thoughts only ....steven

I have not been stopped in many years and I plan to keep it that way. Damn insurance rate are too high already. If I was stopped, I would keep my hands on the wheel and hand my license and CHL to the officer when asked for my license if I was carrying. Neither he or I want any surprises.

I'm not LEO, but I treat them the way I want to be treated. When I get approached by LEO in a traffic stop, I wait for them to approach, making sure they have full view of me and inside the vehicle, and when they come to the window and ask for license I simply let them know that I have a license to carry. I always think and never mention "conceal" or "weapon" upon intiating the conversation. I do this because I don't want them to feel uncomfortable or on edge while approaching me or my vehicle. In my experience I've only been pulled over once while carrying, but it was a good experience, the officer commented on how he liked that I disclosed I had a license to carry and actually led to a nice and pleasant traffic stop. I let them know right off hand, out of courtesy rather than them finding out once they run a check on my license. Just my .02

I do the opposite. I NEVER bring up the fact I have a gun UNLESS somehow the gun becomes an issue. When getting pulled over it is usually for a traffic violation. What does a firearm have to do with speeding? Nothing, guns have nothing to do with the reason you are stopped so I am not going to be the one that brings a gun into a traffic stop. If the cop wants to bring a gun into the stop and asks if I have a gun I will say so. The other time I will say I have a gun is if I have to access an area where the gun is. Last time I got pulled over my gun was in a bag that had my insurance card in it. Told the cop "I have a gun in that bag". His response was to please stay out of it, asked what I had, talked about guns for a min and sent me on my way.

I have NEVER had a problem with this method and with 50k miles/year and a lead foot I get to deal with this a bit. It must work well because I hardly ever get a ticket either.

Big thing with cops is attitude. Pull off in a place that is safe for them to, not just on the edge of a busy road. If it is dark turn on your interior lights so they can see in. Be very polite and nice. Don't make dumb excuses or lie about why you were "speeding".

The only time I have been stopped in the 4 years I have been carrying, the officer barely glanced at my permit and when I told him I wasn't carrying at that time he changed the subject. In other words he couldn't care less one way or the other about my carrying or not carrying. He was only concerned about whether or not I had stopped at a stop sign, which I had and I finally convinced him I did.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top