Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Carrying At Work

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by RedneckRampage, Apr 11, 2012.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

The other day I was stuck in traffic, in my work truck, on top of the Marcum Bridge, traffic was stopped. It really got me thinking...if something bad were to happen, a 9/11 type event, or anything else that caused mass panic, how would I get home? Many times I don't leave the shop during my work day, and I live less than 100yds from work, so I'm not worried then. When I leave to leave, I'm in a semi, that doesn't do well in traffic. I'm not suppose to carry on work property, but have not been told I couldn't carry in work vehicles. So, I decided, when I leave the shop, I'm going to run home and grab my backpack with my Sig and 5 loaded mags, so if something happens, I atleast have some protection. I'd leave the truck in the traffic jam if I needed to, and walk. What do you guys think?

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

I think you are way ahead of most people in your awareness and preparation.

Good on ya!

3. Firesweep

Firesweep Portland Oregon Member

I'd ask your boss. I asked mine and he was happy to know someone is licensed and trained to carry at our company. Since your work is most likely private property it would be up to your boss. IMO

4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I always have and do carry at work

5. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

I really like that my job has a policy on this, it allows concealed carry as long as it stays concealed.

6. scoob63

scoob63 SE Portland New Member

I get carrying, whether for everyday self-defense concerns or as part of a SHTF 'get home' kit, but I don't understand the 5 mags. What scenarios are you envisioning occurring in the Portland-metro area where you'll need 60+ rounds to get to saftey?

7. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Unless it is prohibited by a metal detector, I carry.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  8. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I don't really know what I think is going to happen, that I'll need 76rds, but I can carry it, so I will. I like to go over prepared when I can. I'd have 5 more if in my bag, if I had 5 more mags or wanted to buy them.

unklekippy and (deleted member) like this.
  9. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

If there were enough panic to cause me to abandon my vehicle, 5 mags sounds like enough to get me off the bridge. If I had to walk my way to my family amid enough chaos to cause me to leave my vehicle on the Marquam bridge I would want 5 mags and my AK. If all I had was a 9mm or .40S&W, 15-20 mags sounds about right. Of course, if you're ever pulled over with that you will definitely be on the news and probably a no-fly list. Kip.

10. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

Well I cannot carry at work, not even in my personal vehicle.

But to the original poster i might splitting hairs here but if you are driving a semi that belongs to the company, it is therefore company property and a legal argument could be made that your are violating company policy

11. Blitzkrieg

I've gotten past a few of them with a Delta Dart poly spike in my boot. Long time Kali guy here, anything becomes a serious self defense weapon

12. Blitzkrieg

Better to have it and not need it...

13. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

If you care about your job you might want to check on that... when you are on company time, you are under company rules. Company vehicles fall under company property and I am willing to bet if they don't allow firearms on company property, they won't want personal firearms in company vehicles on company time.

14. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Junction City Active Member

One of the reasons I became my own boss: The headaches are more and every dollar counts but at the end of the day I'm responsible if I win or lose. That counts for personal safety as well!

15. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Kudos to the OP: Better to be prepared and not need, than to need and not have.

My boss flat out makes jokes about if all hell breaks loose he knows what vehicle to go hide in. (we are always within 100' of our vehicles at all times at the shop)

16. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I spent my teen years driving a delivery truck in East LA and Watts, I was 18YO. I had a small truck and drove around like a regular car delivering auto parts.
    Whitnessing violent crime,,,it was like a dirty reality show. Every red light was a near death experience. I would stop at a light, grab my 45 and wait for some sob to try and jump into the cab of the truck. The 45 has a psycological impact equivelent to a 12 ga. even a dumb doper knows what that big empty hole means.
    There were a number of Christians that delivered food to church members. That ended after two were murdered by 'youths' on the walkway between thier vechicle and the door step 30 feet away.
    This is not a phoney memory, it is a recolection of fact
    BTW I was fired, they took my gun, why they looked in the cab of the truck, tne same day as a certain "someone" tried to truck-jack my ef ing rig.
    Do the White math compadres, I had never done any dope then or now. God's Honest Truth

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012