JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did a couple searches and didn't see something on this topic... In Oregon, what is the legal status of carrying a centerfire rifle during bow season, BUT NOT being involved in that bow season? Secondly, is it legal to predator hunt with a rifle during such a season?

Example: hunting coyote or bear with a rifle during bow elk season.

Thanks, any wisdom is appreciated.

I did a couple searches and didn't see something on this topic... In Oregon, what is the legal status of carrying a centerfire rifle during bow season, BUT NOT being involved in that bow season? Secondly, is it legal to predator hunt with a rifle during such a season?

Example: hunting coyote or bear with a rifle during bow elk season.

Thanks, any wisdom is appreciated.

as far as I know you can hunt bear with a rifle during bow deer and elk season. However you must have a valid deer/elk rifle tag for those seasons even if your just hunting bear. I dont know about coyotes. See pg 27 thru 29 of the ODFW regs cover this question...

Last Edited:
You're good to go for all legal hunting and shooting activities regardless of who's up to bat..
Now shooting around bow hunters can be divisive at best and violent at worst. As a group, there seems to be a larger percentage of sanctimonious zealots feeling they own the woods than any other outdoor sporting group I have experienced.
There is a lot of space, so I usually find another road to explore or space shoot on, usually eliminating any tantrums.
This notwithstanding, I know many bow hunters for whom my opine is inapplicable.

You're good to go for all legal hunting and shooting activities regardless of who's up to bat..
Now shooting around bow hunters can be divisive at best and violent at worst. As a group, there seems to be a larger percentage of sanctimonious zealots feeling they own the woods than any other outdoor sporting group I have experienced.
There is a lot of space, so I usually find another road to explore or space shoot on, usually eliminating any tantrums.
This notwithstanding, I know many bow hunters for whom my opine is inapplicable.
That's why my hunting rifles are suppressed.

You can carry whatever you want, whenever you want while hiking around in the woods during any hunting season. But you cannot be hunting.
Don't wear camo, don't have anything on you that may show your calling in animals, such as an elk call. Don't be caught sitting on a bluff, glassing a meadow with that rifle across your lap during an archery hunt.
And as thorborg said, you may come across some not so understanding archery hunters.

In 1995, Oregon Legislators adopted Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 166.170 giving all authority to regulate possession of firearms solely to the Oregon Legislative Assembly.

• In 2003, the Oregon Attorney General reviewed the statute and determined the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission (Commission) cannot limit what firearms can be carried or possessed during hunting seasons.
  • In the same opinion, the Oregon Attorney General confirmed that the Commission has statutory authority to regulate where, when, how and by whom wildlife are taken by hunting.
  • All ODFW hunting regulations and Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) have been modified to comply with these changes concerning the possession of firearms during hunting seasons.
  • The Commission still determines the season dates, open hunt areas, bag limits, and tag numbers for game species.
  • The Commission still determines the weapon type that can be legally used to hunt during a specified season.
There is no call out in the Oregon regulations that state you cannot hunt bear, or cougars with a rifle and proper tag during archery season for deer/elk. Only during centerfire rifle seasons does it state you have to have a used/unused tag to hunt bear/cougar with a centerfire RIFLE.

It depends on the state you are in. Wa gets specific about what you can do in certain seasons
Read your regs over and over and make YOUR OWN decision about it.
They want to make it vague to catch you;)
I don't hunt in Washington, and Oregon is kosher with you carrying what you need to for the tags you possess.

I'll add that personally... If I'm in the woods any time of the year, I'll either have a handgun or rifle at all times. Maybe both.

I'll also have as much Hunter orange on during big game hunting seasons - more so if I'm not on the hunt. My packs are all camo and my best outdoor woods coat is camo as well so I just make sure I'm as visible as possible.

Ran into a few very unfriendly bow hunters and a couple nice ones.

There is nothing illegal that I can find about hiking in the woods with a long gun slung.

Look like your hunting or shoot at something and get caught and your risking your license for life though so as others said - I'd leave the binocs, game bags etc at home and only have survival gear with you. (You gotta practice that bushcraft as often as possible eh;))

I'm no lawyer and I am not a hunting reg professional (and been wrong a few times) so that's only my 2¢ for what it's worth.

I'm more worried about tweakers and illegal pot farms then I am of the forest cops.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top