JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im Just wondering on the legality's of someone carrying (or even or purchasing) A black powder weapon if they are under the age of 18y/o. Since black powder weapons don't technically count as firearms would this be legal? And also would it be different if you loaded it(NAA super cap & ball) up with smokeless powder or would the laws still stay the same? (sorry if i posted this thread in the wrong place, I'm new here and this seemed the most reasonable place to post it.)

if you loaded it(NAA super cap & ball) up with smokeless powder
I have no idea what 'super cap and ball' means but you had better stop what you are doing and get some education with black powder firearms. Don't even THINK of loading it with smokeless powder!

And also would it be different if you loaded it(NAA super cap & ball) up with smokeless powder or would the laws still stay the same?

The law would stay the same, and you would probably lose a hand or your life. Black powder pistols are not built to withstand the pressures of fast burning modern smokeless powders. It would become a bomb in your hand, probably touching off every loaded cylinder at the same time.

A .22 cal muzzle loading pistol that small would be lucky to develop the energy of a std velocity .22 short It would be nearly as worthless for self defense (is there another reason to "carry" one) as an airsoft pistol

They are an expensive toy PERIOD

A .22 cal muzzle loading pistol that small would be lucky to develop the energy of a std velocity .22 short It would be nearly as worthless for self defense (is there another reason to "carry" one) as an airsoft pistol

They are an expensive toy PERIOD

From what ive read a scoop of Bullseye smokeless powder and the 30 grain bullet, its pushing 1200 fps AND YES IT CAN BE USED WITH SMOKELESS POWDER, this is probably the only cap and ball pistol that i know of that can. A 30 grain bullet going at 1200 fps is faster than alot of 22mags out of that short of a barrel.

Cap and ball are percussion cap weapons that usually fire a lead ball and use blackpowder or pyrodex. NEVER use smokeless in them, just on GP

This being your first post you are in the crosshairs

Either way a 22 is a very poor idea for self defense. As an 18 year old you can buy a private sale handgun in your state, just not carry it. Have you considered taking on a serious martial art training system? Even after you are able to get a CCW lisc the training will be of great value, because many situations do not allow use of lethal force. You will also gain discipline and confidence that may reduce your need to recourse to lethal means

I opt for good close quarters knife fighting skills if under the age the greedy money whores in Washington D.C. has set interfering with the rights of every person born in America.

At a load of 4grs of 4F powder with a 30 gr slug I doubt this has the energy of a std velocity .22 short

My .44 cal Remington 1858 New model Army uses a charge of 25-30grs of 3f and a 200 gr conical And is very close to the performance of a cowboy load .44spl. That's out of an 8" barrel.

From what ive read a scoop of Bullseye smokeless powder

Define Scoop:

1. What volume are you refering to.

I have scooped Bullseye, and I have scooped Horse Manure, I used a different "scoop" for both. I have scooped Unique, and I have scooped Dirt, I now have listed Four Scoops I have personally used... But I have not mentioned Volume Once.

I have EVEN scooped GOLD, that was unbelievable, A heavy weight Plastic bag, 8" wide, filled with Gold "shot" Three Inches Deep... It was well over Two Pounds of gold, and I scooped out Two Ounces.... But I still have not defined a Volume for that scoop. (Circa 1976, Tacoma Washington, at Mr. Gig Parker's Jewery Shop)

and the 30 grain bullet, its pushing 1200 fps

Is this 30 grain projectile:
Solid lead
Copper plated lead
Full Metal Jacket

Define 30 grain bullet, Every Projectile, with the above variables, for the SAME weight, will require a different powder charge!

AND YES IT CAN BE USED WITH SMOKELESS POWDER, this is probably the only cap and ball pistol that i know of that can.

and in your years of shooting, where did you learn this, who were you studying????

A 30 grain bullet going at 1200 fps is faster than alot of 22mags out of that short of a barrel.

Please show Published data when you discuss ~ANY~ RE-LOADING.

there is nothing more scary to me, than a Youthful First time poster, who "Knows, something" is valid.

If you want to learn Black Powder shooting, BUY a Single Shot pistol kit, build it, read, Read, READ, loading manuals, then:

Practice.
Practice.
Practice.

loading that pistol.

When you can consistently hit the target, and not just minute of Pie Plate, but the Bulls Eye.... Then come back and tell us, how you did it.

philip

Please read the instructions regarding loading.......http://northamericanarms.com/pdfs/ownersc.pdf

I Choose to use Two different browsers, on my iPad, especially for PDF files, so, I post this today, copied from Page 3 of the above websites PDF, about this firearm:

Cap and ball revolvers are loaded first with powder and bullet. Percussion caps are loaded last.

CAUTION: Do not install caps before powder and bullets are in place, as caps could be discharged in the bullet seating operation!

Using the furnished powder measure (which holds 2.5 grains black powder FFFFH or Pyrodex, for the NAA Companion LR, and 4 grains for the NAA Companion Magnum), pour into each chamber 1 (one) level measure full. CAUTION - do not overload or use other than the recommended powder.

Place a 30 grain .22 caliber bullet, with flat end down, into each chamber.

Emphasis added.

ToastyOregon: you titled this thread "... Under 18...." Virtually Everyone on this forum, has been below the age of 18, and lived to survive that fact. :D

I have a Grand Daughter who is "just under" that mystical age of 18. Just in case no one has shared it with you, 18 does NOT magically change you, It is for the Most Part, a Legal Distinction. IOW, just because you turn that age, does NOT mean, that you will behave, as every other 18 YO.

In fact, I know some folks, my age, that do not have the sense, that I had, When I turned 18. Maturity is a variable, and comes from experiencing life.

... folks above made reference to you being "new here" that was a polite way of saying Please be mindful of what & how you post, or simply put, Be Mature in your posting!!!!

FIREARMS. That is part of the title of this website. By themselves, Never Once, has a FireArm, that I have owned, at least... Ever got up, walked out the door, and fired itself!

It is a TOOL, for use by those Trained to use the tool. Self Taught training is Not Advised, is in Fact discouraged... Just think of the old timer in your life, who stuck out his finger, and said "Pull this...." As a young child, I pulled my Uncles finger, so extended.

DID I Cause the fart to happen? NO!!!! And I learned, to Trust my UNCLE, in a Weird sort of way.... Later, Years LATER, he showed me a knife.... It was so strange, he could open it, close it... But I could not!!!! He was teaching me.... I wish I had that early Locked Shut, Locked Open knife of his.... It was designed for SAFETY.

No one here, wants anyone, to have an accident with a FireArm, so we may have seemed harsh...

ToastyOregon, Life is Harsh, until you live it a few years... You will hopefully understand this, within a few more years. Your post number EIGHT says to me, a certain level of immaturity, please understand that .... I do not expect an Under 18 year old boy to have a BUNCH of Maturity.... But certainly, a little bit more .... Than you have shown, in responding to our replies to you.

have a very Merry Christmas, understand, that WE HERE, want you to become a Responsible member of the family of FIREARM owners & Users.

philip

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads