Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Carrying a knife in oregon

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by fromotoc, Sep 24, 2008.

1. fromotoc

fromotoc Downtown Portland, OR Member

166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005, whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section. [Amended by 1977 c.454 §1; 1985 c.543 §2; 1989 c.839 §21; 1999 c.1040 §15]

found this from http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html .

So I guess you can't carry any folder knife, but you can carry fixed blades that are not a dirk or dagger? But this includes any similar instument... So I can't legally carry a pocket knife at all? At least not concealed? This is crazy.

2. sweetbeard

sweetbeard Beavertown OreGUN! New Member

Hmm.. Interesting thx for the heads up.. I always have a knife on me

3. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

You actually cannot have one that can be opened with one hand "by centrifugal force"or by a spring, I read that in the ORS a few months ago.

You can have a knife, because the clip on your pocket isn't concealed, but you must stick to these guidelines.

So count on only carrying it if you need to cut a seat belt or something.

4. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

It's amazing how much misinformation there is in the LE community from department to department. Both multiple officers from both Portland and the Multnomah County have seen my Benchmade Auto and said no problem. Thanks for the post.

5. smonkbmw

smonkbmw Vancouver WA Member

thats super weird. i carry my benchmade auto also (when i can remember) and the only issue i thought was me carrying it in washington. where i believe automatics are illegal (since they dont sell them up here).

6. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

From what I've heard (do not take this as legal advice, I'm not a lawyer) you CAN carry an auto as long as it is NOT concealed. If the clip on the knife is outside the pants and can be seen you are good to go. Don't cover it up with a coat/jacket/other shirt or you're breaking the law.

7. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

See the problem is the statutes, I'll have to find them again, because I thought this too until I read the specific sections regarding edged weapons.