JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dagger:

a short knife with a pointed and edged blade, used as a weapon.

Dirk:

a short dagger of a kind formerly carried by Scottish Highlanders.

That's just off a search so I'm guessing that most fixed blade knifes could be labeled a dagger in the right situation.

It's going to depend on who sees it and/or how you use it.

When in doubt, spend the cash on a lawyer to cover your arse.

Thanks.
I was planning on making some for groomsmen gifts. Looks like maybe they will just be "letter openers" with no sheath.

And two that are damascus

74F6C96C-BB74-4B1F-95AE-ADA02E6388CA_zps60stmy0w.jpg 2661DA95-267C-4D11-983F-5C16919BD317_zpsjrderdzs.jpg B7A2D002-28ED-4E9C-9C6D-FA0868226378_zpsjxmswpas.jpg

You're required to post a price on items I want to buy! And this isn't even classifieds!

Nice work, man! Seriously!

Those are really beautiful, maybe you should sell them as artwork, signed, and with the certificate of authenticity embossed into the leather sheath to make it extremely clear these are not daggers or dirks.

That said, I like the knifeup law pages, they do help clarify a lot, and from what I can tell, a sharp chopstick would qualify as a dagger according to the loose legal definition (and lack thereof) in the RCWs. As long as YOU THE MAKER classify it as a different item, I think your groomsmen should be fine.

Thank you. I will have a few extras that I will post for sale, probably be around $100-$150 for just the "letter opener"
The damascus will NOT be for sale this go around. I have the help of a very talented knife maker, he is guiding my material choices (O1 tool steel), letting me use some of his grinders/sanders and his heat treat oven. One of the damascus blades is for him since he was kind enough to give me a chunk of the material (that he forged himself), the other is obviously for me.
Out of the 12, 3 are going to my groomsmen, one for me, one for my boss, one for my dad, one for the guy that will be cerakoting them and one to my leather guy in trade for some leather work.
If there seems to be interest in some more I can always get some "pre orders" and do another run of them. I can also talk to the knife maker about some more damascus and what the price difference would be.
I also have some aluminum ones made up, they are my "set up parts" if someone was interested I could add them to a steel blade version... You know for "training to use the 'letter openers'"

These things just feel cool in your hand, it's a shame we can't conceal them in Washington.

I have a folding knife with a blade about that long, lol.

That said, with the way the laws are written, it would come down to a judge's decision about what was being carried, unless you can make it clear that it isn't something violating the RCWs. The knives are too sweet to dull the blades, and I think the open grip might make for a very convincing argument they aren't daggers or dirks.

going by other states laws, either second edge not sharpened, or, no more than one inch. Of course for collectors this doesn't really matter. My old gerber guardian sits in a box on a shelf, wish I could carry it. Dirks and daggers are designed as stabbing weapons, every tool has a use.

A very personal heads-up
if you have a single-edged knife and defend your life you could be a hero
double edged knife
3-life
There is no inherent advantage to a double edged knife if the user has a modicum of skill

A very personal heads-up
if you have a single-edged knife and defend your life you could be a hero
double edged knife
3-life
There is no inherent advantage to a double edged knife if the user has a modicum of skill
Exactly. Pretty lame when you can carry a 3" .44 magnum that'll kill an elk at three hundred yards.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top