Carrying a dagger in Washington.

Joe13

Reactions
Dagger:

a short knife with a pointed and edged blade, used as a weapon.

Dirk:

a short dagger of a kind formerly carried by Scottish Highlanders.

That's just off a search so I'm guessing that most fixed blade knifes could be labeled a dagger in the right situation.

It's going to depend on who sees it and/or how you use it.

When in doubt, spend the cash on a lawyer to cover your arse.

Reactions
You're required to post a price on items I want to buy! And this isn't even classifieds!

Nice work, man! Seriously!

Those are really beautiful, maybe you should sell them as artwork, signed, and with the certificate of authenticity embossed into the leather sheath to make it extremely clear these are not daggers or dirks.

That said, I like the knifeup law pages, they do help clarify a lot, and from what I can tell, a sharp chopstick would qualify as a dagger according to the loose legal definition (and lack thereof) in the RCWs. As long as YOU THE MAKER classify it as a different item, I think your groomsmen should be fine.

OP
Nickb
Reactions
Thank you. I will have a few extras that I will post for sale, probably be around $100-$150 for just the "letter opener"
The damascus will NOT be for sale this go around. I have the help of a very talented knife maker, he is guiding my material choices (O1 tool steel), letting me use some of his grinders/sanders and his heat treat oven. One of the damascus blades is for him since he was kind enough to give me a chunk of the material (that he forged himself), the other is obviously for me.
Out of the 12, 3 are going to my groomsmen, one for me, one for my boss, one for my dad, one for the guy that will be cerakoting them and one to my leather guy in trade for some leather work.
If there seems to be interest in some more I can always get some "pre orders" and do another run of them. I can also talk to the knife maker about some more damascus and what the price difference would be.
I also have some aluminum ones made up, they are my "set up parts" if someone was interested I could add them to a steel blade version... You know for "training to use the 'letter openers'"

These things just feel cool in your hand, it's a shame we can't conceal them in Washington.

Reactions
I have a folding knife with a blade about that long, lol.

That said, with the way the laws are written, it would come down to a judge's decision about what was being carried, unless you can make it clear that it isn't something violating the RCWs. The knives are too sweet to dull the blades, and I think the open grip might make for a very convincing argument they aren't daggers or dirks.

Reactions
going by other states laws, either second edge not sharpened, or, no more than one inch. Of course for collectors this doesn't really matter. My old gerber guardian sits in a box on a shelf, wish I could carry it. Dirks and daggers are designed as stabbing weapons, every tool has a use.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
  • HighLine Firearms
    4.00 star(s)
    great place
    nice guy, local
  • Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
Top Bottom