JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am assuming this is like when you ride to work? Or to the store? If you got a permit, then it shouldn't be that much of an issue if someone saw you do the transfer?

Maybe you could stop someplace more private to do the transfer?

Personally, I just don't carry concealed anymore, so such things are not an issue currently. When I did ride it was rarely an issue as the only time it would have been and issue would be at work, and I didn't bring my guns to work because they had no gun policies, plus at work it wouldn't have been an issue to take the tank bag inside, so...
It's more of the hassle than fear of trouble, plus I ride so much less than before. But sometimes you never know where you'll end up. My friend crossed a bear crossing the road once and I've come across crazy farm dogs patrolling the back roads many times. Outside of work I probably have a 98% record of carrying. With gas prices rising and the sun coming out, I might be riding a lot more. Just paid $103 for 1/2 tank for the first time ever in the ol' Ram.

Wear it as you normally would. It really depends on how you land.
Then, if you are in a tight spot and need to use it, everything is where it should be.
Plus, if you go down, a gun and where you're wearing it is only a minor concern in the bigger picture.
In my worst two crashes, I've had my leatherman Wave and Buck knife on my belt, plus a pocket clip folder, but was not carrying. None of them caused any injuries with the way I landed.
Problem with most armor jackets, to be effective, they're form fitting, which means if your gun is OWB, the jacket rides up over it and it's exposed. I had a leather jacket that was a good one for concealed, but it inflated like a balloon above 80 mph.
Haven't found any leather that I can afford that I (1) like, (2) fits well, and (3) performs well at high speed.

Haven't found any leather that I can afford that I (1) like, (2) fits well, and (3) performs well at high speed.
After several crashes, and then crushing my foot (which cost me $7K in medical bills), I decided that what I could afford for protective gear was a LOT more than I though I could afford. And then I upped it again when I crashed again and the gear I bought basically melted due to abrasion, but did just an ok job of protecting me.

After several crashes, and then crushing my foot (which cost me $7K in medical bills), I decided that what I could afford for protective gear was a LOT more than I though I could afford. And then I upped it again when I crashed again and the gear I bought basically melted due to abrasion, but did just an ok job of protecting me.
No doubt. I wear armor gear, always.
In your experience, is leather better than poly+plates?
My present poly armor jacket was ~$250. The leather one was close to $400.

No doubt. I wear armor gear, always.
In your experience, is leather better than poly+plates?
My present poly armor jacket was ~$250. The leather one was close to $400.
I only have one leather jacket and I have never crashed with it.

I have crashed a few times with my Aerostich (Roadcrafter pants, Darien Jacket), but not over 30 MPH. It is still all in one piece with no tears or melts.

When I crashed at 80 MPH I was wearing a thinner poly jacket that tore and melted. The pants I was wearing were a much thicker heavier canvas type pant, but they melted too - they did not tear and IIRC I was wearing hip pads in them but still was bruised very badly - or maybe I wasn't. I wore hip pads in my Aerostich after than. I also have a back protector, elbow and shoulder pads in the 'Stich Darien jacket.

I think leather is probably superior to anything else for abrasion, all else being equal (pads, armor, etc)

The leather jacket I got was a stylish but shorter Ducati branded jacket in which I have elbow pads. IIRC I tried the back protector in it but couldn't fit into it. I should have ordered a larger jacket as I probably can't fit into it now. I've been thinking about selling most of my road gear - I don't have a road bike anymore and probably never will again.

My advise is practice your transfer till it looks normal and no one will pay you any attn.
Your jacket hung over the bars works as an effective screen.
I pocket carry so holster and all drop right into a front pocket. If you are also moving your wallet and keys it will blend right in. DR

It strikes me that appendix is probably the safest place to carry on body in the event of an off...but once you come off the bike things can get crazy and anything is possible. I also don't know if appendix interferes with your actual riding?? Also if you could find a Safariland ALS rig, the added retention couldn't hurt in case you did come off the bike.

Just a thought...Do any of the riding jackets have a large internal pocket in them? Or even a large external pocket that might be big enough to slip a carry rig into.

What about a fanny pack? Any possibility there? It would be on you albeit not as fast as a regular holster. And you wouldn't have to worry about transferring it until you got inside somewhere.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top