JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I understand that its about what fits you but I would like to get some thought on the Kimber Ultra Cary Crimson 3" 1911 45 acp.

I am thinking of getting this for my carry and I was wondering if anyone here carry's this and how they like it. Any issues?

It's $$$ so I would like to get as much feedback as possible.

I'm 5'8 and 170#'s, I have no problem hiding a government 1911 in a t-shirt and shorts. Keep in mind that the muzzle goes down your pants with an IWB holster, so the grips are the only part exposed. The exposure can be mitigated with a good holster with a cant.

Get a good holster, belt and carry whatever you want.

I could be wrong but I think there's plenty of issues (meaning they don't go plural "bang-bang") with the sub-compact 1911's. A revolver will generally go "bang-bang".. every single time, especially compared to this unicorn.
good luck

And that's with hardball.. which is essentially worthless. It should feed semi-wadcutters and or high performance hollow points.
nevermind good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had four different RIA officer pistols in 45 and all have worked well. No issues, one I traded off, one went to a freind and one went to a father in law and I still have one. They have been very reliable and I have not had any issues with any of them. I bought the RIA's because of the horror stories I have heard about these small pistols and I wasnt going to dump a grand to find. Since these have worked so well I will stick with them - yes they are well made inexpensive pistols and I don't see any reason to change even though Kimbers sure are pretty and I do like Kimber. A carry gun gets a lot of wear and tear and all pistols will eventually show this wear. The only complaint that I really have about Kimber is how tight their chambers are, for a self defense pistol I am not crazy about super tight tolerances. Just my opinion do with this as you wish.

Oh yes I have shot 185gr hornady XTP"s through all these pistols without issue ( Hornaday Premier or Critical defense )

I have a kimber ultra carry stainless that works fine just never went with the laser grips. Never have had any issues with feeding or anything and as JRuby said the Hornady XTP's work well. I have also put steel ammo and my reloads thru it with no issues. I have had and still have several full size and Pro 4" also and never had any issues either.

On a side note the manual does state ball ammo runs best.
Page 18..... http://www.kimberamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/manual-download/Compact.pdf

I've only owned one "Officers size" 1911. It didn't know that it had a reputation for not being completely reliable. I sold it after a couple-few thousands rounds had been run thru it. The only time it hiccuped? When one guy was limp wristing it.
I used all kinds of ammo, from GI ball to defense HP, to low power lead bullet handloads.
If you like it, buy it. If later you don't like it, some Kimber fan will gladly take it off of your hands.

My Officers Model has had in excess of 3,000 rounds through it. It's absolutely reliable! I carried it for many years in Galco leather, shoulder and paddle holsters. That's a Colt though!

Oops! Forgot, it eats everything!

I've had a couple ultra-sized Kimbers and I've got to say I've loved carrying them. I'm about your average size adult male, and for me, ultra size is incredibly comfy and a great option if you prefer 1911 style. My kimbers have both been great shooters too! Oh also, I've always been a fan of crimson trace, and I think the 1911 is honestly the most successful platform for it because no real bulk is added to the gun.

What I have found with the smaller 1911 models is a stiff wrist and a tight hold are required to get the best reliability out of them. I have had several different makes and some were very prone to malfunctions when a less than solid grip was used. They're not bad, just more demanding :)

The problems I had with my Kimber Ultra might never happen to you, so you should just buy one, shoot it as much as possible for a few months and then keep it or sell it. That's true for any pistol, though. With very few exceptions, you can often sell it for almost the price you paid new.

BTW, I never had failures to chamber with my Colt Defender and New Agent. But my Kimber Ultra Raptor II would very often fail to chamber completely. I'm sure it could be blamed on limp-wristing, but isn't it funny that my Colt 3" guns never had a problem even though the shooter was exactly the same?

I carry the ultra sometimes and love the 25 oz weight although I am usually partial to non-alloy models in 45. Recoil is not bad at all. The 3" is designed for carry and cqb like a snubbie. Plenty effective for that. My 4" and 5" is more accurate at greater distance and absorbs more recoil at 38 ozs but I use suspenders to keep my pants up. You're more likely going to deploy a carry gun defensively inside 7 yards. I have 6 heavy 1911s and carry them all but the 3-4 inch guns make more sense for edc.

Reliability can be enhanced greatly by modifying the extractor and replacing magazines with high quality mags like Checkmate 7 round mags with hybrid feed lips and follower dimple. See the line drawing of the extractor mods about 2/3 of the way down ( http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm).

I bought an RIA that the owner had fired 5 cartridges total out of before deciding to get rid of it. I followed the above advice and it has never had another problem, and I got it for $350. I really love that gun!

A gunsmith told me to keep shooting different ammo until I found something the gun liked. But we all know a really reliable handgun will shoot anything on the shelf. If a gun is picky about ammo it is not one I'd trust.

I could be wrong but I think there's plenty of issues (meaning they don't go plural "bang-bang") with the sub-compact 1911's. A revolver will generally go "bang-bang".. every single time, especially compared to this unicorn.
good luck

And that's with hardball.. which is essentially worthless. It should feed semi-wadcutters and or high performance hollow points.
nevermind good luck

:D A lot of guys don't understand machinery and what makes it work, don't let that bother you.

With all the cost of the Kimber you really can buy 2 "lesser" firearms but both equally if not more capable of saving your life (should the need arise) as a Kimber.

Now, if money is no object.. Sure!
I'm with JRuby, buy an RIA and shoot carry the heck out of it.
The best part, they almost ALWAYS sell on the forum if priced well..so you'll probably get most of your money back should you change your mind..

Now with the kimber.. You're either going to take a $ hit when selling OR it'll sit there for a long while.. (Again) should you choose to sell it when you find you might not like it.
YMMV.

I carry a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry about 1/2 the time.

I've shot various ammo thru it with NO problems.

A 110# girl friend shot it a few days ago. A bit for her to handle, but she ran 7 rounds thru it.
She LOVED my Ruger 1911 CMD.

I had a RIA 3.5"..liked it, ran great,
but too heavy to carry for me.

BUT, we're talking $450 as compared to $1200.

I've owned three Kimber Ultras, (2) .45 & (1) 9mm. All three never hiccupped with anything I shot in them. I have an ad in Handgun Classified to take one in trade on my Nighthawk T3T .45 for my Duty/Off Duty weapon so that'll give you an idea what I think of them.
You can have problems with any weapon but there is always a solution with a 1911 platform that almost always involves no more than an adjustment or a new part.
Buy it.
If you don't like it contact me and I'll take it in trade on my T3T at whatever price you had to give for it.
Semper Fi

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads