JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I completely agree...but I think my 2 year old son and 11 month old daughter are too young to understand that a pistol is a no-no just yet.

Those young brains are much smarter than adults give them credit for...they can be trained not to touch whatever it is that is not to be touched. Just have a little training session with an unloaded gun sitting on a low table, and train them not to touch it. It can be done....and it should. Your gun is not the only gun they may potentially come in contact with. :confused::confused:

I agree that it is the kids who need to be taught.

S&W is not the only one with revolver keys, my Taurus 605 that I bought 10+ years ago has one too.
Also my two S&W revolvers

I have no idea where the keys are, I assume in the box, but I don't care.

Those young brains are much smarter than adults give them credit for...they can be trained not to touch whatever it is that is not to be touched. Just have a little training session with an unloaded gun sitting on a low table, and train them not to touch it. It can be done....and it should. Your gun is not the only gun they may potentially come in contact with. :confused::confused:

While I agree, I have way too many pistols...some even look like toys! (multi-tone with accessories).

I want my son to be a kid and still play with his toy guns...I do emphasize to not touch and to stay away, but he still gets into things he shouldn't (especially when other kids are over).

In my opinion...two is a good age to teach, but they are still learning and testing boundries...hence my "out-of-reach" zero tollerance policy is in effect.

Mind you, I hope to someday be able to have guns all around the house and even let them have their own firearms...but two is still too early for that.

A lot of good points made here, and you're on the right track already with the guns you're looking at if a manual safety is a must. However, as others have said, expecting a safety to keep your firearm family-safe is a very dangerous expectation. I also agree that carrying a mouse gun when your primary concern is body armor-clad terrorists sporting AK-47s only creates a false sense of security. Heck, engaging that type of enemy with any handgun is a crapshoot at best.

I wish you and the wifey well in your search.

I have a Shield 40. It's a very good shooting handgun. The wife likes it and shoots it well, too. Her carry gun is a Taurus TCP, but that doesn't have a safety.

I'd be another to recommend the Ruger SR9C. Nice gun.

Definitely let her handle a shoot a few choices and pick the one she feels is best.
I would also recommend a Shield 9mm if she wants a safety. Otherwise I would
suggest the Glock 19.

My Roomates daughter was trained at the age of 5 to not touch a firearm; Except when asked to bring it to a parent. In which case she checks it's clear, unloads it, locks the slide back, safety engaged, ammo in one hand pistol in the other, proceduraly carried by the barrel.
Amusingly there was one time he needed it fully loaded in a hurry due to what he thought was a break in. She was closest to the safe so he yelled to her to get the .357 mag revolver. Well she did, by procedure because he did not clarify to her otherwise.

If you don't mind a small caliber, a Ruger SR22 would be a good choice. Very accurate, reliable, slim, easy to shoot and cheap to practice to shoot even better. Has DA / SA modes, and a thumb safety - which is not really needed if you carry in DA (very long pull). In 9mm, I would pick a PPK/s (9mm short). Good shooter, points naturally, and it's quite pretty. As suggested by another poster, the SIG 238 mini-1911 is a great carry gun. It has excellent night sights, is very small and super easy to conceal. Good trigger. Accurate at 10 yards with less than 3" barrel.

As for children access and other unwanted access. Please carry on your body - not a purse.

I think a single action auto like the Kimber or would be a very poor choice. IMHO
The small compact 9mm Shield or Ruger LC9 are a great choice if she can
handle the recoil. My wife has a hard time shooting these small guns.
For a gun with less recoil the mid size Ruger SR9C is a great choice. I think it
depends on what she can shoot well.

Just bought my second 9mm shield from a NWF member yesterday.
This one without the safety.
I really like them and would recommend one for your wife.
The DeSantis Super Soft Tuck holster works and feels great.

I have nothing against DeSantis but,,,,,,,
Have you tried re-holstering with that soft holster? I think you will find it troublesome to do.
It's only as soft as the gun inside anyway, except when you've withdrawn your gun, then it's soft. LOL
A more rigid holster is better, one that holds its shape at least enough so that the top stays open so you can insert the muzzle enough to force the gun back in without having to stop and look what you are doing. You may be in a situation where you don't have the luxury to be able to look what you are doing, think about it!

Many of those so called "suede" holsters are made from split cowhide and they won't hold up well over time.
If you've ever had to use some of those $2 cheapo gloves that are rough out as well as inside those are split cowhide of the worst kind but will give you an idea what you are dealing with when you buy fake suede! Full leather still has the smooth outside skin attached called the hair side versus the flesh side, this is best because the hair side is where the strength is and will allow it to last the longest. Real suede is usually reserved for garments and is worn with the inside turned out and is specially brushed and tanned for softness.
Think before you plunk your money down for an inexpensive holster because chances are you may not be satisfied with it and they may not allow returns. If at all possible go to a store with a wide selection to chose from and try it on and walk around with it with a gun in it to get the feel. Don't like it? Try another till you find the one that fits best. Hardly any of them are fully comfortable because you are carrying a hard item next to your skin and bones and there is where the trouble begins. I carry a Ruger SR9C in an IWB holster from Blackhawk size 3, that I stumbled across by accident it's made for and marked Glock 17/22 but except for the length fits my SR9C to a tee, I left it full length because the extra leather lets it taper away from the muzzle and I don't feel it as much that way The leather is doubled where extra stiffness is needed and holds its shape well without being "hard"! I'm really pleased with mine.
A word to those looking for an IWB holster look for one with adjustable "CANT" if possible and the ones with the double belt hangers are better than the single straight up and down one without any "CANT" that is the angle forward or back that you like the gun to lean. That is the only CON I have against my holster, but for $20 I cant complain. :s0137:

A nice reasonably priced auto loader is the Bersa Thunder 380 it's a copy of the Walther PPK and the one I had was well made and has a thumb safety and double action for the first shot and single action there after. It's a steel pistol so it's a little heavier than the polymer guns.
The SR9C is striker fired with the safety trigger AND a 1911 style thumb safety allowing fully loaded carry. It is almost exactly the same size as the Glock 26.
Gabby
:s0036:

Last Edited:
I really like my Shield! Blade tech makes an IWB holster that's good, and there are a a number of OTW kydex holsters.

"My wife has a XDS 3.3 in 9MM, a G-42 in 380, a Kahr CW380, and a LCP in 380. I wish she would carry one, she has the permit." partial quote of my post earlier in the thread. Trying to find that 'sweet spot' I have now ordered a Ruger LCP Custom for her... We'll see.

Wife just bought the new Walther CCP 9mm. Smaller version with the same grip as my PPQ but has a MUCH LIGHTER slide rack due to the overall pistol design. I don't think the trigger is as light or crisp as the PPQ (which may be a benefit) and it has the Manual Safety and "American" mag release. I recommend putting hands on one...

"A nice reasonably priced auto loader is the Bersa Thunder 380 it's a copy of the Walther PPK and the one I had was well made and has a thumb safety and double action for the first shot and single action there after. It's a steel pistol so it's a little heavier than the polymer guns."

My all stainless Bersa Thunder CC, is my wife's favorite.
Accurate, soft shooting, easy racking, and very good looking. It also has an easy to use key-lock, a decocker/safety, loaded chamber indicator, and magazine disconnect (I removed mine). I bought it new 2 years ago and even with adding some custom grips and buying 2 additional mags, my total cost is still under $400. After approx. 2500 rounds I've yet to have a single failure.

Bersa Thunder CC.jpg

Bersa Thunder CC.jpg

Last Edited:
SCCY CPX-2 (CPX-1 has a manual safety).

9mm
10+1
Stainless barrel and slide
Polymer frame
15oz unloaded
$250 new
Out of 400 rounds so far, I had one stove pipe so I trust it with my life.

Great no frills carry piece.

Her gun
Let her rent, shoot, and decide.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

A question that needs to be addressed is how mechanically inclined is your wife. Not all are, my wife is one that can't turn a screw. I bought her the Bersa before they called it the "Thunder".
Well made gun low recoil but she couldn't remember all the things like de cockers, safeties , DA and SA it really turned her off. Brought out my little Charter arms Undercover and she can dot your eye with it. So keep that in mind. The rental and test shooting is the best way to go if at all possible. My nephew came to me about what gun to buy and I told him the same thing, kept him from buying something that didn't fit him.
Gabby

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top