JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

With the reports of ISIS members targeting Service Members at home my Wife is now wanted to CC, she is an former MP turned Nurse, so knows her way around a firearm. But, with kids around she wants a CC pistol with a manual safety. I currently have a PPS and XD-S in 9mm and she likes the way they handle and size, but does not like the fact they do not have a manual safety. The accidental shooting by the 2 year old fumbling in mums purse freaked her out a little.

A quick search landed me on the M&P Shield, but was wondering if there are others? Haven't personally fired a M&P Shield but have heard good things.

Thanks in advance!

Price range?

Caliber?

Sig 938 and 238 are worth looking into and each have a safety.

Many revolvers today have manual safety locks.

I have both the shield and 938 and usually favor the sig as its smaller.

Price range?

Caliber?

Sig 938 and 238 are worth looking into and each have a safety.

Many revolvers today have manual safety locks.

I have both the shield and 938 and usually favor the sig as its smaller.

9mm but willing to look into a revolver if it has manual safety so most likely .38 SPL then for cal?

Will have Wife feel a 938, not sure if she'll like the 1911-esque feel of it but can't believe I forgot that! Have a P226 for full size.

If you do not have a budget for your family's safety, I would suggest the Kimber Ultra Carry II with the Crimson Trace LASER grips. The rosewood grips are beautiful.

I have one and love it. ~$1000.00 when I bought mine. The nice thing is it has a surprisingly mild recoil for a .45 (IMO) and the LASER will help when the poop hits the fan.

I do know some gals have a hard time racking the slide, but a bit of instruction seems to clear that problem up.

Forgot about budget, would like to keep it around $500 if possible but more is ok. Will head over the the shops this weekend to check some out in person.

Thanks again everyone, we'll be looking for 939's, Shield's, and LC9's as of now. Sent Wife links to them.

Any specific revolvers?

Any specific revolvers?
We has an S&W AirWeight .38 Special (with LASERgrips of course...lol)....but that thing had such a terrible recoil it was almost impossible to practice with. Nice little carry gun for sure since it was light and hammerless, but there was no way we could spend time practicing with it since it was so miserable.

Just bought my second 9mm shield from a NWF member yesterday.
This one without the safety.
I really like them and would recommend one for your wife.
The DeSantis Super Soft Tuck holster works and feels great.

As far as recovers it will be hard to find one with a manual safety. For around 500 or less the shield is the way to go if you want to spend more the sig 938 is hard to beat

Have a smaller female friend that I just helped get into a Springfield EMP in 9mm. She loves the feel of this slightly smaller 1911 and was also looking for a manual safety in a metal pistol. Down side is that they are above your stated budget.

For a revolver I would buy a Ruger LCR in 9MM. Inexpensive ammo and lower recoil means more practice, yet so many good performing defensive rounds. The .38 is good, but ammo is pricier and recoil greater. I have the .38 and the 8 shot .22LR and I am happy with both, but I think the 9MM is the sweet spot.

I have a regular LC9 without the little s at the end. It has an external safety that, like a 1911, actually locks the slide. Sig 938 has an external safety, but does not lock the slide, so it's not as 1911 like as it may seem. (My Colt Mustang XSP is the same, no slide lock, I love it anyway) The main drawback to the LC9 is the very long trigger pull. I can, your wife can, handle it, but really the LC9s with the little s is a lot better trigger and the same great external safety. (I don't like the external safeties, but have a "safety off" mantra I use with all guns, so I am always aware of the safety if I need to fire)

You can find the 9MM LCR all over for $400-$425 and the LC9s is cheaper I believe. Spend the extra on ammo.

My wife has a XDS 3.3 in 9MM, a G-42 in 380, a Kahr CW380, and a LCP in 380. I wish she would carry one, she has the permit.

It's a tad big for female carry, but the HK P7 is the only gun I would consider intrinsically safe around chillens. Plus, the firing pin can be removed or inserted in a matter of 6 seconds, making it safe for everyone.

P7 hell yah

Always wanted one and has a great trigger!

But let her try it and decide. Takes getting use to!!!! 750 to 1300 pending new used and model.

First off, no gun- no matter how many safeties it has- is "safe" around children. If they are too young to teach them about firearms and to not touch mommy's purse then you shouldn't be keeping a loaded gun in the purse and have the purse off your body. Period.

I cannot stress this enough...if your child can open a purse, draw a firearm from a holster (I'm not a fan of having a loose gun in a purse) and pull a trigger- they darn well can click off a safety.

I would much rather perfer a pistol in a holster and the pistol kept on the body.

My son, for example, is a smart young man...my wife would keep a loaded revolver in her car and my son is big enough to be in a booster seat. He can remove his own seatbelt and grab at the gun if we leave him and it unattended...so that had to change (the firearm is now kept more secured and I placed a lock on his seatbelt)

51Jfhgzh3xL__SX425_.jpg

This still does not make the firearm safe...it simply limits his access to it.

To conclude, I would never purchase a weapon that I felt was safer to have around my children...I would try to make it safe to have guns with my children.

Let me put it another way...are you buying dull knives and safety scissors? Or are you just locking them up and keeping them out of reach?

First off, no gun- no matter how many safeties it has- is "safe" around children. If they are too young to teach them about firearms and to not touch mommy's purse then you shouldn't be keeping a loaded gun in the purse and have the purse off your body. Period.

I cannot stress this enough...if your child can open a purse, draw a firearm from a holster (I'm not a fan of having a loose gun in a purse) and pull a trigger- they darn well can click off a safety.

I would much rather perfer a pistol in a holster and the pistol kept on the body.

My son, for example, is a smart young man...my wife would keep a loaded revolver in her car and my son is big enough to be in a booster seat. He can remove his own seatbelt and grab at the gun if we leave him and it unattended...so that had to change (the firearm is now kept more secured and I placed a lock on his seatbelt)

View attachment 134688

This still does not make the firearm safe...it simply limits his access to it.

To conclude, I would never purchase a weapon that I felt was safer to have around my children...I would try to make it safe to have guns with my children.

Let me put it another way...are you buying dull knives and safety scissors? Or are you just locking them up and keeping them out of reach?

Ayoob has a good book out called "Gun Proof Your Children". I'm a firm believer that you can not child proof any gun, you have to gun proof your children. I used this book as the basis for having guns in the house when my sons were little and it worked well for us and the bonus for me is that they are both now safe, adult shooters that are raising their sons to be gun proof.

Ayoob has a good book out called "Gun Proof Your Children". I'm a firm believer that you can not child proof any gun, you have to gun proof your children. I used this book as the basis for having guns in the house when my sons were little and it worked well for us and the bonus for me is that they are both now safe, adult shooters that are raising their sons to be gun proof.

I completely agree...but I think my 2 year old son and 11 month old daughter are too young to understand that a pistol is a no-no just yet.

The only revolvers currently being produced, that I'm aware of, that have some sort of safety feature are the S&W models with the internal lock (which are almost all of them). They require a key, much like a handcuff key, to turn the lock on/off. This is primarily for locking the gun at night as a safety precaution. You would not want to carry it locked, and then have to fumble around trying to find, insert, and turn the key in a stress situation. And there are verified reports and videos of the lock failing, rendering the gun useless. Although a very small percentage of their revolvers fail, the chance that it may happen keeps a healthy segment of S&W enthusiasts from buying any of their IL revolvers (myself included).

Personally I think carrying a striker fired gun with no safety and an empty chamber is the best way to go. Many adult women have trouble racking the slide, so imagine how much more difficult it is for a small child. Compare that to flipping a safety off. Certainly not as good as carrying a loaded round, but in reality your chances of your wife needing to use the gun are remote, much less than your child playing with it. And when your wife is sans children she can always rack the slide, carry it ready, and no safety to worry about.

As to which striker fired to choose, well as much as I detest the look, it doesn't get much simpler or more reliable than a Gen4 Glock 26.

I completely agree...but I think my 2 year old son and 11 month old daughter are too young to understand that a pistol is a no-no just yet.

Well Riot, that's true. But it's never too early to begin indoctrination. Children begin learning at such an early age. A head start never hurt anyone. A two year old can grasp a surprisingly complex idea!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads