JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am soon going to be going on a 5 day 45 mile backpacking trip through the Eagle Cap/ Wallowa national forest area. As a Wa resident and a Wa st CPL holder does anyone know what my options are? CC? OC? Not at all?

Thanks!

I could be wrong but in WA I think you can CC without a permit while doing "lawful outdoor activities" and traveling to and from. No such exemtion in OR?

I am soon going to be going on a 5 day 45 mile backpacking trip through the Eagle Cap/ Wallowa national forest area. As a Wa resident and a Wa st CPL holder does anyone know what my options are? CC? OC? Not at all?

Thanks!

Gorgeous country. I OC'd there before I had my OR CC permit.

166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250. (1) ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:

(a) Sheriffs, constables, marshals, parole and probation officers, police officers, whether active or honorably retired, or other duly appointed peace officers.

(b) Any person summoned by any such officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while said person so summoned is actually engaged in assisting the officer.

(c) The possession or transportation by any merchant of unloaded firearms as merchandise.

(d) Active or reserve members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard or Marine Corps of the United States, or of the National Guard, when on duty.

(e) Organizations which are by law authorized to purchase or receive weapons described in ORS 166.250 from the United States, or from this state.

(f) Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading, or the members thereof when going to and from the places of meeting of their organization.

(g) A corrections officer while transporting or accompanying an individual convicted of or arrested for an offense and confined in a place of incarceration or detention while outside the confines of the place of incarceration or detention.

(h) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

(2) It is an affirmative defense to a charge of violating ORS 166.250 (1)(c)(C) that the person has been granted relief from the disability under ORS 166.274.

(3) Except for persons who are otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under ORS 166.250 (1)(c) or 166.270, ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:

(a) Members of any club or organization, for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets upon the established target ranges, whether public or private, while such members are using any of the firearms referred to in ORS 166.250 upon such target ranges, or while going to and from such ranges.

(b) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

(4) The exceptions listed in subsection (1)(b) to (h) of this section constitute affirmative defenses to a charge of violating ORS 166.250. [Amended by 1977 c.207 §1; 1991 c.67 §36; 1993 c.735 §1; 1995 c.670 §2; 1999 c.1040 §3; 2009 c.316 §2; 2009 c.499 §4]

I found it but I guess that it only applies to licenced hunters and fisherman. I hear Ice lake has good fishing;)

OR is a little different then here in WA. They exempt outdoor activities as strictly limited to licensed hunting and fishing. If you plan to fish on your hike, and have an Oregon fishing license, then yes, you can CC if you wish.

Personally, when I distance hike I OC, with a shoulder holster. I don't like shoulder hosters, I very much prefer to open carry on my hip, and if it is a day hike that is what I do, but with a full pack, that is next to impossible with the pack's hip belt. (at least with the packs I own)

You will probably have to figure how to OC...Oh, another quirk in OR law....read ORS 166.250(3) a pistol in a BELT holster on you HIP is not concealed and subject to the prohibitions in .250.

I just got back from my trip early this morning. This area has some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.

I will say this though. The great weather brought out tons of people, (mostly the Birkinstock type and by tons I mean like thirty over five days) and even though campsites were still plentiful maybe next year I will go a week or two later. It was kinda funny though that I got more wierd looks OC'ing at 8600 feet in the middle of the "wilderness" than OC'ing at the supermarket in Spokane.

2uf3r7n.jpg

u30ps.jpg

rr76ag.jpg

23s9j54.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews