JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was browsing at a gun store today and was looking at an FNX 9. The guy I was dealing with said it was a really good gun but he carried a Glock. He then said that he carried what the majority of LEOs do in case he had to defend himself in court it would look better. The Glock isn't voing to work for me right now but I was wondering in a case where you defended yourself how important you use a gun that the police carry.

So I was browsing at a gun store today and was looking at an FNX 9. The guy I was dealing with said it was a really good gun but he carried a Glock. He then said that he carried what the majority of LEOs do in case he had to defend himself in court it would look better. The Glock isn't voing to work for me right now but I was wondering in a case where you defended yourself how important you use a gun that the police carry.

Not a bit.

All these little "tricks" guys like to over-think up are plain stupid. Using the same gun as cops, same ammo as cops, deliberately using an inferior weapon, or inferior ammunition, giving ANY thought to "collateral damage" or "over penetration," etc, etc.

STUPID.

The only thing you need to think about is how can you best increase the slim odds that you'll walk away from a firefight unperforated. Select a weapon with a load you can fire rapidly accurately, with the highest ammunition capacity you can reasonable conceal, and chose the ammunition which offers the best terminal ballistics you can find, based on your OWN research.

For about 99% of people, that's a Glock 19 loaded with 124gr Gold Dots.

Good luck!

like bkb 0000 said get a glock 9mm,40s&w ,or 45auto and you wont go wrong ive got the model 23 there a very dependable pistol......... Asp i dont think any law inforcement officer will let you borrow any ammo or mags i think you might get a funny look if you even ask ASP

The only reason I think anyone ought to have the same weapons as the police is if you have to "borrow" ammo and mags in a hurry.

Sorry officer but I am out of ammo, spare a magazine? To me a pistol is a pistol and whether I am shooting a Glock or FNX they are sending the same bullet out the barrel. Well Mr. DA I figured if I shot somebody with a Glock I just get a handshake and slap on the back since that's what the good guys carry.

like bkb 0000 said get a glock 9mm,40s&w ,or 45auto and you wont go wrong ive got the model 23 there a very dependable pistol

Where did he say that?

Sorry officer but I am out of ammo, spare a magazine? To me a pistol is a pistol and whether I am shooting a Glock or FNX they are sending the same bullet out the barrel. Well Mr. DA I figured if I shot somebody with a Glock I just get a handshake and slap on the back since that's what the good guys carry.

Notice how I put "borrow" in quotes. It's mean to imply you might not be asking (see SHTF).
My commentary has nothing to do with whether or not it will look good in the eye of the public, and I believe I implied that with my statement.

I am trying to wrap my head around as to why anyone would suggest the glock to you because that's what the police have? I can see them using the wide acceptance of glocks by LEO as a testiment to the gun's reliability, etc, etc. What i don't understand is how that would help defend you in court?

I don't dislike Glocks but with a son who likes to climb I don't want to carry with one in the chamber. I think I am going to grab the FNX 9 but I am trying to find a Berrata px4 to play with before making my mind up.

I don't dislike Glocks but with a son who likes to climb I don't want to carry with one in the chamber. I think I am going to grab the FNX 9 but I am trying to find a Berrata px4 to play with before making my mind up.

I have 4 little boys ages 1 - 7 and a 5th little boy on the way... My wife and i both carry glock 9mms.

It's good to be realistic with yourself, and take precautions- but how is another weapon going to be more 'safe' around your kid? Besides... the weapon WILL be on your hip, in a secure holster, or locked up.

There are a lot of good reasons to purchase a Glock but that isn't one of them. I personally am not a huge fan, but if you do a quick search you'll find a list of pros or cons for owning one. I think the salesman was going for an angle to make the sale?

Let's go back to this statement. I think beaver might be confused or missinformed.
You dont HAVE to carry a round in the chamber with any gun. Why would you think the FNX would be any different?

Also, buy the px4. It's an incredible pistol and I never miss an opportunity to endorse it.

I think the salesman was going for an angle to make the sale?

I heard this line of reasoning from our CCW instructor, many years ago. He said to call your local department, ask what sidearm they issue, and what cartridge they carry... if you get into a shooting, during the civil suit, questions regarding your intent with your gun can be alleviated by stating that weapon and ammunition were chosen because thats what the local LEA uses, and not because of any desire to carry a 'more lethal' gun, or some crap.

I guess I can see the line of thinking, but it's a line of thinking that doesn't need to be thought. It's addressing a what-if that's even more unlikely than you surviving a stand-up gunfight unscathed... and therefor has no place in training.

Worry about living. What comes after that will come, and you can NEVER plan for or prevent even 1% of the angles a greedy ambulance-chaser can come up with.

aSP DID YOU READ THIS PART OF bkb0000 message (for about 99% of people, that's a Glock 19 loaded with 124gr Gold Dots).I WAS JUST PUTTING IN THERE ANY OTHER CAL. GLOCK as well. i did not see your quotation marks on borrow sorry. i was just agreeing with bkb0000 and letting you know even in a bad situation a cop is not going to lend you ammo unless hes down and out and you decide to help him .

Let's go back to this statement. I think beaver might be confused or missinformed.
You dont HAVE to carry a round in the chamber with any gun. Why would you think the FNX would be any different?

Also, buy the px4. It's an incredible pistol and I never miss an opportunity to endorse it.

If I am going to carry I want one in the chamber so if I ever have to use it I don't have to chamber a round. With the FNX I can have a round chambered and the safety on. I know people will say that with a good holster it shouldn't be a problem but i am still concerned that my son could do something and wind up snagging the trigger. Besides I have shot a Glock and even though I haven't hade a chance to shoot the FNX it feels better in my hand. I am going to try to find the px4 but I have been to two stores and have 't found one.

If I am going to carry I want one in the chamber so if I ever have to use it I don't have to chamber a round. With the FNX I can have a round chambered and the safety on. I know people will say that with a good holster it shouldn't be a problem but i am still concerned that my son could do something and wind up snagging the trigger. Besides I have shot a Glock and even though I haven't hade a chance to shoot the FNX it feels better in my hand. I am going to try to find the px4 but I have been to two stores and have 't found one.

I won't try to convince you to buy any particular gun, beyond the suggestion I've already made. But keep in mind that if there's any chance what-so-ever that you'll allow your son (toddler? what?) to touch your trigger, you're not in a place where you should be in possession of any firearm to begin with. You might think an external safety is going to add some mysterious degree of safety to your sidearm, but it won't. You're misunderstanding the intent, function, and current roll of external safeties in the world of firearms.

Pick whatever gun you want, with whatever action you want... but please do so for intelligent reasons.

I'm thinking about buying and old Crown Vic or maybe a newer Dodge Charger because that's what the cops around here drive. That way if I ever get in an accident I can tell the jury that I was just driving what the local LEA drives because I thought that was the most appropriate car to be driving if I was ever involved in an accident. :nuts:

Not laughing at you OP, just the salesperson.

I won't try to convince you to buy any particular gun, beyond the suggestion I've already made. But keep in mind that if there's any chance what-so-ever that you'll allow your son (toddler? what?) to touch your trigger, you're not in a place where you should be in possession of any firearm to begin with. You might think an external safety is going to add some mysterious degree of safety to your sidearm, but it won't. You're misunderstanding the intent, function, and current roll of external safeties in the world of firearms.

Pick whatever gun you want, with whatever action you want... but please do so for intelligent reasons.

I agree with with everything you are saying. Right now my p22 is always secure in a place where he can't access it. I am not concerned about him accessing the gun when I am not around because it will locked away. My concern is that I am carrying with one in the chamber and my son runs up to play with me (loves to climb) somehow does something that snags or pulls the trigger. An externally safety isn't a crutch for me so I don't be safety conscious but would give me time to remove my son's hand or tell him what he needs to do. I do appreciate the Input.

I'm thinking about buying and old Crown Vic or maybe a newer Dodge Charger because that's what the cops around here drive. That way if I ever get in an accident I can tell the jury that I was just driving what the local LEA drives because I thought that was the most appropriate car to be driving if I was ever involved in an accident. :nuts:

Not laughing at you OP, just the salesperson.

I like your reasoning. I think I am going to get a battery ram so the next time my friends don't answer the door I can let myself in, that's how the cops would do it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top