JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Forget the G43.
Those tiny single stack sub-compacts are great BUGs.. Or for a quick run to the store and they are certainly better than nothing.. but honestly for the price Id get a G26 or G19. Tons of mags, parts, holsters that are very affordable.

Capacity:
10+1 for the G26
15+1 for the G19

Its not about having "just enough" to stop the threat.. its about having enough to stop the threat and then some.

Plus, the larger surface area(s) of the G19 and alike pistols make drawing, reloads and aiming that much easier.. And in an emergency situation you'll want every advantage you can get.. Rather than having a mouse gun you'd be more likely to fumble with than defend with.

Just my .02¢

Also take into account, if there is an AWB coming..
You'd already have an evil firearm capable of utilizing 33rnd, 17rnd and 15rnd mags..
Where the 10rnd (and less) type firearms and mags will almost always be around because for some reason 10-7 is the magic anti firearm bigots favorite number(s).

Plus, there will be those idiotic pinned 10rnd mags during an AWB.. But who wants those until we're forced to, right?

Hopefully that day never comes, but if it does.. At least you'll have your evil assault pistol.

I have a couple. A G43 with a couple of spare +2 mags for summer carry (one in each pocket). Absolutely disappears in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. A G26 with a couple of spare G17 mags most of the time when wearing jeans. A G19 and a couple of G17 mags when I'm wearing a jacket or something more than just a t-shirt.

Another thing to consider is what do you do all day? Namely I mean work. Ill use my self as an example. Im blue collar, I run a big work boat, I didnt need my "compact" G19 sticking out of my shirt every time I bent over to pick something up or checking oil in an engine. So, I went to a sub compact (Kahr CM9) and I now pocket carry. Wearing sturdy cargo pants with big, heavy duty pockets aids in this.

Also being a job where Im on my feet alot a G19 becomes a brick. Even with a good high end holster and a solid gun belt. It gets old pretty quick. If you are more of a desk jockey I bet you could sport something like a 19 all day.

If something isnt right after a while change it. Ive shifted how, where and why I carry several times. Live and learn ya know. Dont stay stuck because its to expensive to upgrade a holster or sell this pistol to get that pistol. You get my drift.

Last Edited:
OK, let me answer a few questions.

I am nearing 70, so I want to carry more often and more consistently. I'm looking more and more like a soft target with every birthday. I also have a young wife and young kids (second family) who I want to be able to protect. The full sized 1911 is a joy to shoot and a beauty, but it's just inconvenient enough due to size and weight that I find my self leaving it at home more often than I'd like.

That said, I'm 6' and 220 with a 34 inch waist. I wear a 46 coat and a Large to X-Large glove. I'm still fairly athletic, but slowing down a bit. I like to carry OWB when possible, and I like the 4 o'clock position. I've been shooting guns of all sorts since I was about 4 years old. I've shot competition with rifles and shotguns (but not pistols), and I've done very well at that. I pretty much own at least one gun of every category you can think of except polymer pistols.

I'm retired on forested acreage and it's somewhat remote and secluded. I do a lot of work on equipment and vehicles. I do a lot of metal fabrication and wood working. I'm pretty active and spend a lot of time under tractors and such, so weight and bulk in a carry gun can be an issue. I ride an ATV most days.

From the comments so far I'm leaning toward a Glock 19 and/or a 43.

Last Edited:
If you're going to check out the 43, compare it to the 26 as well. Other than thickness, its of a similar size with a lot more options for customization.

Zeke is my hero now.

Big hands and owb carry - I might go Glock 21 - dbl stack .45 13+1 or go for the 17 and get 17+1 & 33 rounders available for fun. Would also get a compact or subcompact version of same for those days less weight is desireable. A g21 / 30 combo or a 17 / 19 or 17 / 26 pair would be good. Or for more ergonomic guns the M&P series can be had in the usual calibers. The compact m&p is about the same grip ad a g26 using flush basepad mags but has 2 more rounds. Full size are same capacity as glock full size. Great guns.

SCCY. Model CPX-2 (-1 is the same thing with a safety).

American made.

Lifetime no questions warranty.

Mine has had one stovepipe in the 800 rounds I've fired (plus 400 flawless rounds claimed by the previous owner).

Stainless slide and barrel, polymer lower.

Nice DA trigger.

New they run $250 out the door...

Can't beat it price wise and it's been reliable to the point that I trust mine and have heard others with similar opinions on the quality and reliability.

I've been eyeballing those SCCYs. How's the customer service and accuracy of the firearm?

Strangely enough I carry a shield 9mm 95% of the time, with a Ruger LCR .357 the other 5%, but Im thinking of getting a G19 or 23.

I've been eyeballing those SCCYs. How's the customer service and accuracy of the firearm?

Strangely enough I carry a shield 9mm 95% of the time, with a Ruger LCR .357 the other 5%, but Im thinking of getting a G19 or 23.

Smooth pull and crisp break on the DA trigger on mine is pretty good. Easily can hit cans up to around 30-50' reasonably (I've got further but that takes a bit more concentration).

YouTube video took one and shot it a few times with an AR15 I think and to my knowledge the company replaced the gun.

Fit and finish is better then average imo.

Fits my wife's hand and my huge paw.

I've only seen one on sale used and I bought it.

I know a few people on this board have upwards of 4 of them as stash guns (under the coutch pillow, desk drawer extra, hiking bag etc).

@ZigZagZeke -With keywords "Forested" "acreage" "remote"

AR !

Or what Jeff Cooper described as a Scout Rifle.

For a handgun to get to your M1 Garand, consider 10mm. Cougars, Bears & soon Wolves are in your area.

If you already have rifles chambered for .308 instead of 30-06, then maybe an AR10 or an M1 SOCOM.

And, consider several stashes. Barn, Garage, still and where you sit to sharpen the chain saw.

You might consider a Glock in 10mm.
I like @mkwerx idea, get a pair, then you can swap out when you have to run to the NAPA store. Glocks are nice that way that multiple guns fit the same holsters.
And you can always stick a longer mag in the shorter grip if needed.

Well, looks like there are several Glocks, Sigs, and others that I need to check out. I'll especially be looking at the Glock 19 due to all the recommendations.

I recently attended a Utah CHL class and the instructor commented that he'd like to see me carry more consistently than I do due to my advancing age, and when I really thought about it, he's right. Having young kids under 5 yo around kind of makes you forget you're not 35 anymore, but reality has a way of sneaking up on you sometimes.

So far this has been a great discussion. Carry on! :)

@ZigZagZeke -With keywords "Forested" "acreage" "remote"

AR !

Or what Jeff Cooper described as a Scout Rifle.

For a handgun to get to your M1 Garand, consider 10mm. Cougars, Bears & soon Wolves are in your area.

If you already have rifles chambered for .308 instead of 30-06, then maybe an AR10 or an M1 SOCOM.

And, consider several stashes. Barn, Garage, still and where you sit to sharpen the chain saw.

You might consider a Glock in 10mm.
I like @mkwerx idea, get a pair, then you can swap out when you have to run to the NAPA store. Glocks are nice that way that multiple guns fit the same holsters.
And you can always stick a longer mag in the shorter grip if needed.
We are on the same page here. The only thing lacking in my system is a more convenient carry piece for that run to NAPA. :)

a glock 23 can be converted into basically a 19 with a barrel and a mag or a .357 sig with just a glock 32 barrel

Another thing to consider is what do you do all day? Namely I mean work. Ill use my self as an example. Im blue collar, I run a big work boat, I didnt need my "compact" G19 sticking out of my shirt every time I bent over to pick something up or checking oil in an engine. So, I went to a sub compact (Kahr CM9) and I now pocket carry. Wearing sturdy cargo pants with big, heavy duty pockets aids in this.

Also being a job where Im on my feet alot a G19 becomes a brick. Even with a good high end holster and a solid gun belt. It gets old pretty quick. If you are more of a desk jockey I bet you could sport something like a 19 all day.

If something isnt right after a while change it. Ive shifted how, where and why I carry several times. Live and learn ya know. Dont stay stuck because its to expensive to upgrade a holster or sell this pistol to get that pistol. You get my drift.

This. No doubt the G19 is a great and capable gun. Also a PITA when you are doing hard physical work day after day. G26, G43, or the Shield .

I second the sccy.... I carry one daily and have practiced with it ALOT and have never had one issue at all with it. Reliable, cheap, USA made, and amazing customer service. Barrel and slide are both stainless (even the black slides) and the black coating on my slide is very durable. Some people complain that they are a keltec ripoff, but compared side by side their quality is far better than keltec. Very nice affordable, quality piece for those of us who can't afford the high dollar stuff.

Certainly before you purchase run them through their paces. Smaller isn't necessarily better.

I thought the G43 would be good for my Domestic Princess but she corrected me quite vocally at the range. She had a hard time controlling it because it was so small; hard to grip fully due to it's size, powerful recoil in a small frame, she has smallish hands but not weak by any means.

She elected for the G19 instead which she shot quite well and much more comfortably.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top