JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi!

The wife, dog and I are going on vacation to Coeur d'Alene. We will be doing some hiking in the area, should I worry about bear defense in this area?? By biggest caliber handgun is a .357 and it's a snubbie- I don't trust it for this. Either I pick up a can of bear spray and I carry my usual .380 or you guys tell me that grizzly encounters are common and I'll pack my compact 20 gauge pump loaded with slugs. I really appreciate the opinion of any one who lives or has spent time in the area.

thanks!
Dave

Most North Idaho bears are black bears. However, there are established grizzly bear populations in the Selkirk and Cabinet ranges, and occasionally grizzlies are seen in the nearby Bitterroots, to include the Coeur d'Alene and St. Joe Divide mountains.

Living among bears in North Idaho

I'm not sure what you mean by "common." Encounters with grizzlies, in general, aren't very common but it certainly happens. If I'm going into grizzly country, I want a gun. Preferably a rifle...a very big rifle...like a 45-70...or in a pinch a 12 gauge with slugs...not a 20 gauge. I may also bring bear spray. But if I encounter a grizzly, I'm reaching for the gun first. YMMV.

If yours is the 3"Magnum version with Sabot Slugs I'd say "Go with what you've got" but without a Backup I'd also suggest you wear some Cowbells. In my opinion and experience simple "Sound" is an effective way to stay a bit safer while in the woods. Bears and other wildlife will generally move away from someone making a decent amount of noise.

First....you must think, what is my life and the life of my wife worth? Worse, what if one or both of us is maimed? Tough qurstions to think about!
I believe that you owe it to yourselves to spend the cash and provide something on the order of a .460 - .500 S&W or Ruger in a six inch barrel, carried in an Alaskan cross chest holster. You only live once and you don't want to die in Idaho!!! Best of luck and have a great vacation! :D

I agree with KKG. Make noise and you likely won't have to worry about close encounters. The Missus and I frequently do day hikes to Blossom and Revette Lakes up near Murray, ID. Usually in the deep summer (August) and we've never had problems, though we also have our dogs with us (a couple big fellas, 100+lbs each). If you were visiting up north around Priest Lake, I'd say you should take extra precautions, as there are grizzlies and lots of black bears up there.

I haven't heard of any grizzly issues around CDA, however. Not to say it's completely out of the question. I usually have my .45 with me. That plus my loud dogs, and a wife that I can outrun makes me feel pretty secure out there.

Know the wild life in area. Know what black bear scat looks like. It will have more leaves and berries mixed in. Grizzly scat is similar but tends to have bits of bone, smell like pepper and have little bells in it

Hi!

The wife, dog and I are going on vacation to Coeur d'Alene. We will be doing some hiking in the area, should I worry about bear defense in this area?? By biggest caliber handgun is a .357 and it's a snubbie- I don't trust it for this. Either I pick up a can of bear spray and I carry my usual .380 or you guys tell me that grizzly encounters are common and I'll pack my compact 20 gauge pump loaded with slugs. I really appreciate the opinion of any one who lives or has spent time in the area.

thanks!
Dave

You won't see a grizz. Enjoy your hiking without a heavy hog leg weighing you down.

That is my country......(Northern Idaho) grizzly incounters are more rare than crashing your car on the way to the trail. The discussion is fine, but if you are really that worried...why go? Grizzly encounters are much more common around the Montana National parks where bears are protected and not afraid. One of my best buddies was a guide on the Kodiak island Brown bear preserve. The most lethal thing they were allowed to carry was bear spray but when someone had to get serious with a problem bear, the 870 12 gauge with 00 buck would come out. Fishermen commonly carry 44 Magnum handguns. Self defense is always going to be close. Years ago I had a friend that spent 3 years (as I remember) in federal prison for shooting a Griz that was threatening one of his kids in Montana while they were camping. The jury didn't buy his story. I have never been afraid of a bear and more often relish the opportunity to see one in the wild. When I was young....like 6 years old.....my grandmother used to cook at a church camp near Riggins. I remember well her chasing bear off the back porch of the cookshack with a broom.

I wouldn't mind dying here.:D

What's wrong with Idaho anyway?:s0018::s0066:
I fully intend on dying in Idaho.......and I have lived all over the world. There is a reason that property values are 15% higher on the Idaho side of the river from the Oregon here........most of us have figured it out. Even the people people living in Oregon would rather live in Idaho.

My parents live in Spokane and we lived in Coeurdelene when I was younger. Also dirt biked and camped in the national forest in my 20s. Never herd of any attacks of or seen a Grizzly , personally. Black bear sightings ? Yes. But things do happen and it's nice to be prepared.

Out of your choices I would take the .357 and a stout wadcuter. Or the 20 ga with slugs, mabey. :oops: Bears a little thick skinned for a .380. Have fun and look out for hunters. Beautiful area.

Could be a good excuse to pick up a 44 mag or 10mm. :)

Back in the old days all the Indians lived on a small island off of the coast of Florida so they wouldn't be eaten by grizzlies.
They did not have .357 magnums.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top