JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry. I float using a personal pontoon boat. I have a Taurus G2c in one of the pockets. The pontoon is worth more than the pistol, lol.

sF_ODSmeS8yBKq7ULddRfw.jpeg

I did a lot of stream fishing in Wyoming in the 90's and 2000's. I wore hip waders over jeans with a normal belt and holster and a 44 mangum pistol. Never had to draw it.

Late 90's I climbed a hill near Baldy / Leidy to cut up an elk to pack out. Left my rifle at the truck after the first trip down. Lost a front quarter and a strap to a collared griz on the last trip up. Freaked me out. Bear stayed on the gut pile, I ran down the wrong slope and across the creek, punched through the ice, up to my waist, didn't care, blasted out the other side, tore my pants on the ice, ran up onto the road, ran 50 yards to my truck, grabbed my rifle. Nothing happened. I had nightmares for 2 months.

Got charged by a black bear sow on Elk Mountain about 2005. Didn't have a gun. Drew my bow but didn't shoot, she ran off. Freaked me out. Pop pop popping her jaws when she charged. Had nightmares for 2 weeks.

2016 - bowhunting high ground in the Elkhorns in eastern OR, had a sow with cub visit my wallow, she dipped her belly several times and left. 30 yards away. I didn't have a gun. Jeez. No nightmares. Just couldn't friggin believe it happened again.

For 35 years, I have almost always had a gun all the time everywhere. Almost. Every now and then I didn't have a gun. Like at a Christmas party. Or a quickie last minute hunt. Inevitably, that's when the bears came out.

I've had 3 up close bear encounters, and didn't have a gun during any of them. I'm older now, and don't mind admitting my occasional stupidity. :D

After 2016, I have never gone anywhere without a gun, and I never will. It only took me 30 years and 3 freak outs to learn that, but I finally learned it.

Hope this helps. :D

Up in Alaska while fishing (whether wading the river or in the boat to dispatch big halibut), I carried my old beater Ruger Security-6 .357 in my generic leather holster. It was big enough to put a hurt on a bear, but small enough that if I fell over it wouldn't drag me to the deep like an anchor... ;) When out like that it was subject to all kinds of water, salt, mud, fish slime, etc, so I didn't want to bring anything too valuable. Other than killing tons of halibut, I only fired it at a bear (brownie) once by shooting the water right in front of it. It was on Kodiak Island and between the bang and the splash of water in front of her, it was enough to turn her around.

I would choose a 357 mag. It can carry snake loads when in snake country, or you can load it hot for bears. I would choose a good shoulder rig for carry. A gun down in your waders doesn't really seem of use except as an anchor.

Either this or a pistol specific chest rig. Keep it high and accessible yet out of the way. If you are also using a pack the Hill People chest rig can attach directly to the pack straps or to it's own.

I like hill people 'chest rigs; (they call them kit bags): Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

... typically carry XDM in 10mm. Specifically got it for an always carry in the woods gun.

I did this as my field gun for many years, although it was a stainless 44 magnum. First two rounds were snake shot and the next four were bear loads. I also took an extra speed loader with bear loads. Huckleberry fields in the fall can get real interesting. If you are fishing the high desert or similar areas you are more likely to encounter snakes than anything else. You don't need to kill them. A common trick is to tease them into wrapping themselves around a branch long enough to protect you and short enough to throw, and then throw them to the other side of the stream.

I would choose a 357 mag. It can carry snake loads when in snake country, or you can load it hot for bears. I would choose a good shoulder rig for carry. A gun down in your waders doesn't really seem of use except as an anchor.

Check out gunfighter inc. Their Kenai chest rig is pretty sweet. I wear my 10mm when fly fishing if I'm out in the middle of nowhere and it works pretty well with waders.

I've always carried a small handgun when fishing. It's always been something small enough to fit the chest pocket of my waders, or if I'm bank fishing, the back pocket of my jeans. My carry gun for fishing has been a .22LR semiauto Walther P22 for a couple decades now. It's not stainless steel, and it's not rusted, or harmed yet after all these years. I simply wipe it down with an oil cloth when the day is done, and put it away.
Only thing it's been used for while fishing was dispatching rattlesnakes, or plinking. I never felt the need for something larger while fishing around Oregon, so the .22LR works for this purpose for me.

with waders its either Hill People Gear or a chest holster. With the Hill People Gear you will have the option to carry concealed if fishing (or hiking) in more popular areas.

I usually wear my SP101 on my belt under my waders or carry it in my bag. In any case there are special provisions for carrying a firearm while hinting, fishing and or target shooting at a range.

Here's an inexpensive holster you might want to consider...Amazon.com : Vertical Shoulder Holster for 4" Revolver in 38 & 357 fits S&W, Ruger, Taurus Most Others : Sports & Outdoors
I have no experience with how well it works, but you gotta admit the price is pretty hard to beat.

Dean
Not that exact one, but I have a very similar holster from the same people (Federal Holsterworks), and for the money, it is fantastic. I also have Pistol Packaging, Alien Gear, and DeSantis rigs, but the Fed gets the most use. I have fished with it under a hoody many times, but not directly with waders. It is adjustable enough to be worn outside a jacket so I would expect it to be fine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top