JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You cant miss fast enough!! If you are looking for something big and powerful, it would make sense to spend MORE time at the range then less so you achieve a level of competency.

Between a 36 and a 27 I'd go with a 36. I'd prefer a 19 or a 26 with a +1 pierce grip tho TBH

I carried a 27 and had a Lone wolf 9mm barrel for it for cheap shooting at the range. Had the +0 pinky extension. It is a great carry weapon. Then I bought a 29 SF. I mention this because the 29 is only slightly bigger than the 27 and conceals just as well. You said you like the .45 because you like the bigger round. Well the 10MM is top dog in Glock calibers and the 29 holds 11 rnds. After carrying the 27 IWB it was not much of a change to go to the 29 IWB. It only took a day to get used to it. Now I forget I even have it on......Now there are those that like 10MM and those that don't. I love the round. More energy than a .357 and 11 try's at the target. I shoot a commercially loaded 180 grain hornady XTP going 1375 FPS for 756 foot pounds of energy. It wouldn't make sense to me to go back to a 27 after carrying a 29. There's not enough difference in size to justify the loss in energy. Even a 36 is not much different in size. a little thinner,but I didn't find that it was enough to conceal it any better. A .40SW is a shortened, weaker 10MM round. Same exact bullets, less powder. Why? Unless the recoil bothers you.

Be a man and get a 29 haha

I've been throwing this question around for awhile in my head. 29, 30 or 36.

I like shooting .45 and it has the diameter but is kind of anemic when it comes to punch. I think a nice 200g slug out of the 10mm would be a nice round but definitely harder to control in the small G29 package. I got rid of my compact because it just wasn't comfortable to carry so I need to get a sub compact soon. Packing the 5" 1911 is a pain :s0112:

Truly, if you want unbeatable power and ammo costs aren't an issue, go with a G29. Loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo, you can get about 700 ft-lbs of power versus their .45ACP round which has 550 ft-lbs. (data from their site).

I personally have a G30SF which I like, though I seem to get a bit of gas blow off from the mag well the first round when carried to full capacity +1 in the pipe. It's a very accurate gun though and it's reasonable to carry. I went with the G30 versus the G29 because I didn't want to have to add another caliber to the harem.

Truly, if you want unbeatable power and ammo costs aren't an issue, go with a G29. Loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo, you can get about 700 ft-lbs of power versus their .45ACP round which has 550 ft-lbs. (data from their site).

I personally have a G30SF which I like, though I seem to get a bit of gas blow off from the mag well the first round when carried to full capacity +1 in the pipe. It's a very accurate gun though and it's reasonable to carry. I went with the G30 versus the G29 because I didn't want to have to add another caliber to the harem.

What is the (gas blow off) you mentioned?

when the mag is loaded to capacity (10 rounds) and another round is in the chamber (i.e. 11 total in the gun), it is quite difficult to get the mag to seat and usually requires both hands for the mag to catch in place. The mag has a little gap at the end of the well. This is not just my pistol, it's endemic with the design. When the first round is fired, you can feel gas escaping from the bottom of the mag well and it's actually quite noticeable. But then, when the second round chambers, leaving only nine in the mag, the little gap vanishes, the mag makes a perfect seal and you don't feel the gas bleeding off. It's just a little design issue and if you only load the gun with ten rounds total it's not a problem.

I'm not a huge fan of .40 but between the 27 and 36 I'd have to go with the 27. It has a slightly higher capacity and a faster moving bullet plus a very proven track record as the 36 is the only Glock I've ever really heard of any reliability issues with. Now if you were to throw the 30 in the mix, then I'd have a different answer for you.

I carry a Model 27 with a Pierce Grip extension and XO BigDot sights daily in a Bladetech IWB holster, and I love it. I download the mag by one round because, as mentioned above, when the mag is full the additional drag on the bottom of the slide from the mag spring pressure and the difficulty in stripping a new round with a fully compressed mag spring is just asking for a malfunction. With one in the chamber and nine in the mag, I do not feel that ammo capacity is an issue. I carry a G22 15 round mag for a spare, so more is available if really necessary.

Glock 27 I trust. Glock 36, not yet. There is way too much "bad" reviews from owners. I good friend on my bought one NIB about 3 months ago. He had a few FTF/FTE issues, so I guess he wasn't one of the lucky ones. I'm a Glock guy, but....36 is a gamble IMO.

Good luck.

I'd personally reconsider and look at the G26. In the short barrels of the 26/27, you'll have almost no appreciable difference in performance (and with modern ammo, it's a non-issue anyway) - but less felt recoil, and be faster back on target with the 9. The extra round is nice, but really - if you're concerned with # of rounds, you'd be looking for a mid or full size carry gun anyway, right? My biggest deciding factor would simply be easy to control and fast follow up shots, which for me = G26. Add to that - you'll save a few sheckles on ammo costs, which may or may not be an issue for you.

If you're dead set on a 9 or 40, I'd look at the G30SF over the 36. The 36, to me, just feels...wrong. The 30 is more comfortable. Everyone's hands/grip are different. Go with your gut.

...I'd look at the G30SF over the 36. The 36, to me, just feels...wrong. The 30 is more comfortable. Everyone's hands/grip are different. Go with your gut.

I carry a G30SF and just a few days ago received my Milt Sparks VM2 that I ordered on July 7th(!!!), and it carries awesome a conceals even better. I love the combo.

You can make the small gun "bigger" using mag extensions or spacers, but you cant make the big gun any smaller.

I picked the G26 for that reason. I have my choice of the stock 10 rd mag with no extension, a 10 rounder with a finger extension (makes the gun fit perfectly in my hand) or a 15-round G19 mag with a spacer (a tad big for CCW but great for home defense).

The stock 10 round mag with no extension is a bit more difficult to shoot accurately, but in a pinch it will do. And a spare mag is a lot easier to carry in my pocket without the extension.The only thing you give away by going with the smaller gun is a bit of barrel length.

G27 has the edge in concealability if that is of primary importance. The G36 is basically the size of a G23 which has a 14 round capacity versus 7 in the G36. I owned a G36 for a short time and settled on the G23.

Pat

from glock.com:

G23: 6.85"L X 5.00"H X 1.18"W
G27: 6.29"L X 4.17"H X 1.18"W
G36: 6.77"L X 4.76"H X 1.13"W

• These differences may be more significant than they look. The G23 is bigger in all three dimensions than the G36.
• Capacity is way, way overemphasized for a private citizen's personal carry weapon.
• Kinetic energy is not equivalent to traumatic injury. A hunting arrow carries less than 100 ft.-lbs.

from glock.com:

• Kinetic energy is not equivalent to traumatic injury. A hunting arrow carries less than 100 ft.-lbs.

An arrow has less than 100'#"s of energy which is more than apparent by the amount of animals archery hunters wound and lose.
It could be said a splitting axe is deadlier than an arrow by far,with the capacity for far more traumatic injury. If you can get close enough.
It is a ridiculous argument. You should carry the largest, most powerful cartridge you can hide and handle well. The only other consideration should be reliability. Period.

Everyone has an opinion on this one, is that why there are so many makes, models and calibers out there? I personally carry a 6 shot revolver that conceals perfectly. All I need is one round to hit you, because when that round strikes you are going down with what I carry. Chances are we not going to be getting into a fire fight so how many rounds do you really need to carry?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top