JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You brought up another good pistol. The xd series from springfield. Did you get to handle any at the gunshow? I'm not a fan of polymer guns but a friend bought a xdm right when they came out and I have to say, Its a nice gun. The ergonomic s of it, the weight, the balance, the overall size, and the interchangeable backstraps really impressed me. Springfields quality is top notch also. If I ever did buy a poly gun the xdm would be it. Prices on those are cheaper than sigs also.

I used to own a XD .40 Sub Compact and a XD 9mm Tactical. Loved em both but traded them in for my 226 :( I will probably get one again in the future just out of nostalgia, XDm .45 Tactical or the FDE XD .45 Tactical. My sub compact was great for winter carry since I could use a Serpa CQC holster to hide it underneath a coat but that was it, IWB was not a option for me too obvious.

I've heard great things about the new Taurus's, but not sure if it was the Millenniums? Only Taurus's I've ever fired were the old polymer .45's and they're M92fs knock off and they were both horrible at feeding and ejecting. Have the new ones gotten much better?

So checked out the gun show this weekend 22many, found 2 pistols that fit my size and had a choice of 9mm or .40!

The 2 contenders are the Walther PPS or the Sig Sauer P238. Both handguns felt very familiar, just a smaller size.

I initially fell in love with the Sig Sauer P239 (a sort of mini 1911) but found its SAO 8lbs trigger killed it for me, the fact that it came in a FDE/Black color made it very hard for me to put it down :(

So now its just going to be a choice between the 2 and then the caliber. Anyone know of a place where I could rent and try either of those handguns out? Also is .357 Sig a good "in between" for 9mm/.40?

edit: meant the P238, mini 226/299/220

Did you mean the P239 is the mini 226/229/220?

The .357 Sig is meant more as a semi-auto version of the .357 Magnum round and as such has greater velocity and energy than 9mm or 10mm short (aka .40). The round is interesting but the ammo is scarce and expensive, not to mention the recoil is "snappier" than .40.

Did you mean the P239 is the mini 226/229/220?

The .357 Sig is meant more as a semi-auto version of the .357 Magnum round and as such has greater velocity and energy than 9mm or 10mm short (aka .40). The round is interesting but the ammo is scarce and expensive, not to mention the recoil is "snappier" than .40.

Always get the 2 mixed up haha, but yes you are correct. Finally found a P238 & P239 to shoot, found good and bad though.

The P239 is much larger than I had anticipated, more than I'd like to carry day to day... Was really disappointed in this.

P238 surprised me, although it was rated at a 8lb trigger pull (same as a P250 I used to own, but hated the DAO at that pull) it wasn't bad at all. Size was nice and feel was familiar. Only issue I had with it would be reloading. I would like to practice a lot with it but shooting mostly 9mm I see sorting out .380 being a huge pain in the A so I think that's out of the picture now too :(.

Last chance is the PPS, still looking for somewhere to shoot it to see if I like the feel during firing. Would love to try out HK's though, don't even know anyone personally who has one.

I've got the PPS in 9mm and I love it, easy to conceal and extremely accurate for its size. Had a friend shooting with me and he thought it was a .380, was very surprised when I told him it was a 9mm. The recoil is not what you would expect from a sub-compact, it was very tame, great for follow ups.

Might also consider the Kahr PM9, check out the vid below for both pistols.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y53BL71s_Hc

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads