JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't worry about 9mm / .40S&W / .45 ACP caliber E-argument.

Buy whatever you are comfortable shooting with and practice.

Shot placement is the key.

And to OP, firing warning shot? Do you think that is right way to handle firearms?

I think you have the wrong idea of CCW.

I do not even draw unless I have to, I really hope you guys understand I'm not some gun happy psycho that loves to pull it out. I have it because I feel safer having it with me, I keep it concealed b/c its the law and I'd personally prefer to open carry. If someone wanted to get at me and knew I had a weapon, nothing I could to prevent the situation then but I could at least make most criminals/hooligans wary.

I shoot because I enjoy it as a sport now and like to keep any skill I have learned to be proficient at in check.

"I do not even draw unless I have to"............That statement kind of worries me, where do you get into situations like that??
You make it sound like a common occurance.

"I do not even draw unless I have to"............That statement kind of worries me, where do you get into situations like that??
You make it sound like a common occurance.

Haha, so hard to get the right point across over only text. Having to pull out a weapon/having one at the ready all the time was a common occurrence for me from 08'-'10 in Afghanistan obviously and I like to think of myself as someone who will only pull a weapon on someone when it is absolutely necessary. Im sorry if my posts sound really bad, but I do my best to be a responsible gun owner. It is for my personal protection and for those I care about.

Portland is not a bad town and I know that, I just feel safer. I feel naked not having a weapon after getting back... It's weird but I just feel better having if I ever do need it. I've never been a jumpy person, I just know vs someone who's twice the weight of me I need a upper hand and/or be able to nullify the situation before it escalates to having to use my firearm before a serious injury occurs to me or someone else. As much as I loved being a Medic I really hope I never have to use my skills again because of something violent, if I can prevent that I'm OK with it.

Uhhhh, yeah it is....

If you believe that Portland is a bad city then you sir have either lived in a bubble your entire life or haven't traveled. Most major cities in CA, MI, IL, FL, NY, GA, PA and well almost all of the 50 states are worse than PDX.

North Portland is the equivalent of a white boy living in suburban America acting gangster. I'll walk around PDX without my CH any day. Put me back in my home town of Detroit and I can't believe I even imagined doing it before having a CHL...and yes I've had knifes and guns pulled on me many times in Detroit. . . and surrounding suburbs.

If you believe that Portland is a bad city then you sir have either lived in a bubble your entire life or haven't traveled. Most major cities in CA, MI, IL, FL, NY, GA, PA and well almost all of the 50 states are worse than PDX.

North Portland is the equivalent of a white boy living in suburban America acting gangster. I'll walk around PDX without my CH any day. Put me back in my home town of Detroit and I can't believe I even imagined doing it before having a CHL...and yes I've had knifes and guns pulled on me many times in Detroit. . . and surrounding suburbs.
The worst parts of PDX are not nearly as daunting as the better parts of Birmingham, AL after dark. In PDX people walk around the city all night long. In Bham we get in our car and drive the one block distance between bars.

North Portland is the equivalent of a white boy living in suburban America acting gangster. I'll walk around PDX without my CH any day. Put me back in my home town of Detroit and I can't believe I even imagined doing it before having a
CHL...and yes I've had knifes and guns pulled on me many times in Detroit. . . and surrounding suburbs.

I guess beings that I have lived in a bubble then I didn't see the hookers, drug needles,
and human feces everyday on the sidewalk when I went to work. Oh, and that hooker blowing the guy behind the dumpster, well that must of just been a figment of my imagination. Oh, can't forget the family living in their car, crapping in a 5 gallon bucket
and throwing their garbage in the streets also. And no, there's no meth problem at all. And the best part? The police. Do you know how many times I have heard "call us when it happens again and we will send someone out"?

If you believe that's a good place to live then maybe you haven't traveled to better places. Guess my standards of living is a little higher than other peoples......

I guess beings that I have lived in a bubble then I didn't see the hookers, drug needles, and human feces everyday on the sidewalk when I went to work. Oh, and that hooker blowing the guy behind the dumpster, well that must of just been a figment of my imagination. Oh, can't forget the family living in their car, crapping in a 5 gallon bucket and throwing their garbage in the streets also. And no, there's no meth problem at all. And the best part? The police. Do you know how many times I have heard "call us when it happens again and we will send someone out"?

If you believe that's a good place to live then maybe you haven't traveled. Guess my standards of living is a little higher than other peoples......

That's just life in any big city...You want to talk about standard of living, watch these two videos. You clearly haven't seen any major city in the Midwest or East Coast. Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, St. Louis, Flint, Little Rock, make NO PO seem like Hollywood.

Detroit's Decline - YouTube
A Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto - YouTube

So checked out the gun show this weekend 22many, found 2 pistols that fit my size and had a choice of 9mm or .40!

The 2 contenders are the Walther PPS or the Sig Sauer P238. Both handguns felt very familiar, just a smaller size.

I initially fell in love with the Sig Sauer P239 (a sort of mini 1911) but found its SAO 8lbs trigger killed it for me, the fact that it came in a FDE/Black color made it very hard for me to put it down :(

So now its just going to be a choice between the 2 and then the caliber. Anyone know of a place where I could rent and try either of those handguns out? Also is .357 Sig a good "in between" for 9mm/.40?

edit: meant the P238, mini 226/299/220

Buy good ammo and you can get stopping power out of all 3 of the big calibers. Barrel length obviously plays a part in achieving the listed velocities

9mm Luger +P +P+ Pistol and Handgun Bullets Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

9mm 115g JHP 1400fps and 500ft/lbs at muzzle

Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

.40s&w 155g JHP 1300fps and 582ft/lbs at muzzle

.45 ACP +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

.45acp 185g JHP 1150fps and 543ft/lbs at muzzle

I reload to NATO pistol spec for 9mm which I believe is a +P load? So that works out for me. For 9mm I use Hornady 9mm XTP, may switch over to Speer once I find some expansion tests to refer to.

So checked out the gun show this weekend 22many, found 2 pistols that fit my size and had a choice of 9mm or .40!

The 2 contenders are the Walther PPS or the Sig Sauer P239. Both handguns felt very familiar, just a smaller size.

I initially fell in love with the Sig Sauer P239 (a sort of mini 1911) but found its SAO 8lbs trigger killed it for me, the fact
that it came in a FDE/Black color made it very hard for me to put it down :(

So now its just going to be a choice between the 2 and then the caliber. Anyone know of a place where I could rent and try either of those handguns out? Also is .357 Sig a good
"in between" for 9mm/.40?

Ah, nice. The gun show tends to narrow your choices down. I have never owned a walther handgun but I have handled one and tore one apart. It felt like a solid gun. The controls were very easy to access and it felt good in my hand. Seemed like a decent gun.

The sig, well, I'm partial to sigs and currently carry a p220carry. Owned many of them in the past and they have been great handguns. About a year ago I was looking at the P239
as replacing my p220 (liked the look of a mini 1911). The main reason I didn't is because I like feel of a bigger pistol and the p239 didn't feel as good in my hand as my p220. Therefore, i never did any research on them. They are a sig so I never questioned the quality of them. As far as trigger pull, you could have the trigger reworked but after the price of the gun (last time I looked they were in the $600+ range) and a trigger rework, it ads up to a pretty penny. Cost is also a consideration so I would think that the walther would be a better option unless you really like the p239.

I would stick with the common calibers. Easy to get and the gun is easier to sell of you decide too. Given the calibers you mentioned, I would go with the 9mm. Cheap ammo as
you can afford to practice with and 9mm is available at pretty much any store. Less recoil so it easier to shoot and stay "on target" with follow up shots also.

Ah, nice. The gun show tends to narrow your choices down. I have never owned a walther handgun but I have handled one and tore one apart. It felt like a solid gun. The controls were very easy to access and it felt good in my hand. Seemed like a decent gun.

The sig, well, I'm partial to sigs and currently carry a p220carry. Owned many of them in the past and they have been great handguns. About a year ago I was looking at the P239
as replacing my p220 (liked the look of a mini 1911). The main reason I didn't is because I like feel of a bigger pistol and the p239 didn't feel as good in my hand as my p220. Therefore, i never did any research on them. They are a sig so I never questioned the quality of them. As far as trigger pull, you could have the trigger reworked but after the price of the gun (last time I looked they were in the $600+ range) and a trigger rework, it ads up to a pretty penny. Cost is also a consideration so I would think that the walther would be a better option unless you really like the p239.

I would stick with the common calibers. Easy to get and the gun is easier to sell of you decide too. Given the calibers you mentioned, I would go with the 9mm. Cheap ammo as
you can afford to practice with and 9mm is available at pretty much any store. Less recoil so it easier to shoot and stay "on target" with follow up shots also.

My last post I mean the P239 as an option, I tossed the p238 due to the trigger. The p239 is a mini 226/229/220 style. You should check em out if you're partial to Sig's. I love it when manufacturers make an amazing handgun, then make many variations of it.

If I ever got a .45 it'd only be out of nostalgia, just to own one and show people the differences in power and how much more kick you have to take. Probably going to be a BBQ pistol style too haha. Sig 220 would be my first choice, a 1911, and maybe even a bi-tone XDm. Don't know yet, probably start a BBQ pistol thread when the money comes around ;)

Oh gotcha. The looked at the p239 on sigs website. Small, concealable, and light weight. Looks like a good option. If your serious about the p239 I would check out the sig forums and see what people have to say about them.

You brought up another good pistol. The xd series from springfield. Did you get to handle any at the gunshow? I'm not a fan of polymer guns but a friend bought a xdm right when they came out and I have to say, Its a nice gun. The ergonomic s of it, the weight, the balance, the overall size, and the interchangeable backstraps really impressed me. Springfields quality is top notch also. If I ever did buy a poly gun the xdm would be it. Prices on those are cheaper than sigs also.

As far as 45s, don't overlook them. Years ago your 45 choices were very limited to mainly
the 1911 and some others. These days there are more choices of guns that shoot great with the 45 caliber. The Taurus millennium pro for example. I was very impressed when I shot one. Very small gun for a big caliber and it was really amazing that it didn't have as much recoil as I has expected for a small gun. In fact, I liked it so much, I had bought one for my sister for a Christmas present!

I know there are gun shops around town that will let you rent different types of guns to
try out. A quick search on google might come up with something? Whatever you get, make sure it works for you. If I had it my way, I would have a mini 1911 with a dual action trigger, that weighs 15oz loaded. Unfortunally, they don't make that so the p220
carry was my next best option and it works for me. So much in fact, that i had thought about selling the p220 many times to try something else out but that voice in the back of my head tells me "no, it has the options i want for what i use it for". Spend the extra money for something that you are comfortable with. After all, if your not comfortable with your gun in your hand it's gonna be worse with a bad guy in front of you.

Again not trying to start a argument here of any sort, just wanted to let you know what I thought was best given my situation. If something like this happens again I'll probably make a different decision but I'll hope they circumstances can be different.

For the love of god, next time you think that illegally, recklessly and indiscriminately firing into the air is the best option, please slap yourself.
It seems that all of your training and experience have been overpowered by a complete lack of common sense.
If it's not worth shooting the people involved, It's not worth risking the lives of the random people within reach of the bullet.

Next time you think that firing into the air is anything but idiotic, remember this kid:
<broken link removed>

I would suggest looking into the hk p2000sk guns they are small enough for summer carry (with flat floor plates) even on a smaller person and they are easy to shoot in 9mm and .40. They have the same wear resistance as the glock guns and the controls are much like your p22.

If I had to do it over I think my .40 sk would have been a LEM model but at the time I wasn't sure I'd like it i have since learned that I prefer it over the DA/SA for carry. LEM still offers second strike capability though the trigger pull jumps to like 20lbs.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top