JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been using a Walther P22 for a year now but feel like I want something with a little more oomph to it. The bang from it w/o ear pro is pretty loud so good for a warning shot but I'm afraid even if I put a couple rounds center mass it's not going to cut it...

The 10rd .22lr limitation on is also a drawback, a comparably sized 9mm or .40 can hold 10rds.

I have a small frame so it's pretty hard to find a good sized carry, but the P22 is perfect size for me to conceal. My only thought is a PPS, although I've always preferred DA/SA over striker but willing to make a change. I open carry 226 or 229, but even the 229 I cannot conceal w/o a coat. Glocks have never fit my hand w/o a hogue sleeve on it, which would add mass so glock is out... The "blocky" polymer handguns also tend to me too wide for me to conceal as well.

I'm open to all suggestions, have never handled a .380ACP though so I have no idea what that round is like downrange.

any round will kill/eliminate a threat............but if you want it done NOW dont go w anything less than a .40. i dont really like to carry anything less than a .45............ a .380 or a 9mm doesnt have the terminal velocity or bullet mass to stop a full size adult coming at you full on with rage and adrenaline pumping. .40 will slow em down, .45 WILL PUT THEM DOWN.......RIGHT NOW.

ive also found that carrying a bigger gun is easier than you think it is- they dont print as much as you feel them on your body- what i mean is......a commander sized 1911 can feel like a hunk hanging off of your body but if you slip it in an iwb holster they really disappear. try looking at a crossbreed holster or a minotaur. youd be surprised at how comfortable they are. i had a sig p239 in .40 for a while put it in a crossbreed and i could wear shorts and a t shirt and it was not even there

First, you need to ditch the idea of firing a warning shot. If you need to draw on someone it had better be to stop a threat to your life, and a warning shot is not an acceptable response to such a threat.

Second, grasp the concept of carrying a service caliber. A .380 - and especially a .22lr - has zero realistic benefit over the 9mm. Find a model sized to your needs (and hammer fired, if that's your preference) and is, at minimum, chambered in 9mm. Select a few top contenders, rent them at a range, and buy the one that works for you.

Then train with it.

Good Luck & Be Safe.

Edit: I would add that Kahr, Ruger, and Kel Tec models would probably best fit your criteria. M&P9c is similarly sized in height and length, but is thicker to house it's double stack magazine. With the small backstrap on the M&P, the grip is probably too big for nobody. Check 'em out.

Check out the SIG P290. It is a DAO hammer fired gun. Also check out the Kahr line of guns. Also, never underestimate a Walther PPK. It may only be a .380acp gun, but it is one of the easiest to master and most accurate guns on the market.

As far as the warning shot goes, only time I've done that civilian side was to break up a scuffle that was about to get way out of hand. Shot into the air with the P22, much louder than I thought it'd be.

Usual attire is jeans or slacks, button-up (tucked in or out), and a light jacket if weather calls for it.

For open carry I use a Safariland ALS for both sigs, concealed I use a inside the pants kydex at a angle, or a pocket holster.

As far as the warning shot goes, only time I've done that civilian side was to break up a scuffle that was about to get way out of hand. Shot into the air with the P22, much louder than I thought it'd be.

Usual attire is jeans or slacks, button-up (tucked in or out), and a light jacket if weather calls for it.

For open carry I use a Safariland ALS for both sigs, concealed I use a inside the pants kydex at a angle, or a pocket holster.

You fired warning shots in the air "civilian side" to break up a scuffle? Seriously, WTF?
I suggest that you take some classes where you can increase your knowledge of gun handling and use a variety of pistol calibers. One of the fundamental rules for safe gun handling is to know your target and what is beyond. I cannot understand why you have the mindset that it is OK to fire a gun in the air as a warning shot unless you haven't had proper training or you were under the influence.
I am not even going to suggest what would be a good replacement gun since it appears that you don't practice the basics of gun safety. It is not my intention to be rude by suggesting to get additional training, but firing warning shots in the air?

Thanks for the links titsonritz. Very informative read.

To the op: I only carry and own 45 acp handguns. I've owned 9mms and 40s and find that I have more confidence in the 45acp. The 45acp is gonna make a bigger hole and this is why I choose that caliber. As far as capacity goes, I only need the 7 or 8 that most 45s hold. I figure if I have to draw my weapon it's gonna be to shoot and I don't need 15+ rounds to get myself out of trouble. Realistically, after you fire the first shot the situation is gonna drastically change in your favor anyways.

As far as smaller handguns, I have no experience in micro pistols (other than a micro 1911) so I can't comment on what's good and what's not. I would suggest going to a gun show and looking at all models out there, go home and do your research, and then find a pistol that fits you needs.

Obviously a pocket holster won't work, what exactly is your Kydex holster?

Holster mike from MK Tactical, leather part touches skin/undershirt, then the kydex holster, and metal clips attached to the leather clip onto my belt.

Very comfortable, only holster I've found that I can use like a paddle holster inside the pant and have it to the right of the small of my back.

any round will kill/eliminate a threat............but if you want it done NOW dont go w anything less than a .40. i dont really like to carry anything less than a .45............ a .380 or a 9mm doesnt have the terminal velocity or bullet mass to stop a full size adult coming at you full on with rage and adrenaline pumping. .40 will slow em down, .45 WILL PUT THEM DOWN.......RIGHT NOW.

Oh Ka ryst

A 45 ACP will not drop every attacker EVERY time.Neither will a 44mag.

A 40s&w is a great round but it is not a guarantee.No caliber is

With all that said,carry the biggest handgun you can shoot well.

For most a 44mag isn't good for follow up shots.
The 45ACP is a very formidable round,IF you have hands big enough to hold the grip (the recoil isn't bad at all) and you can heft the gun to aim it.Great stopping power in a big package
OK for us big guys to CC

Most 40S&W guns are a great size for most people and shoot a great round.Good stopping power in a size suited for most people.Not bad for us big guys and OK for most to CC

The 9mms have all the power you need to drop a normal,not extremely drugged out individual.(as is true with most guns).
There are plenty of great self defense rounds for 9mm now.Plenty of everything to be a man stopper.
Guns in 9mm come from smaller to full size,so there is one for most to CC

The 380.It is fine for self defense,but now shot placement is paramount.These lack some energy...and speed...to be a perfect man stopper.
BUT if you are very proficient with a PPK and can put all the rounds in someone's chest or head,they definitely do the job.

Now to the 22's.All shot placement.And if I put 10 rounds into a guys heart or eye socket..wel the threat is gunna stop real soon.

Can't shoot that well? If he's 10 feet from me,which is probably the going distance for a shooting like this,yes,yes I'll put all the rounds exactly where I want.

It's all placement.If you are very good with the 22,then it is what you should carry.If you can't hit anything with a larger caliber,it isn't much good now is it?

Carry what you shoot best

Oh Ka ryst

A 45 ACP will not drop every attacker EVERY time.Neither will a 44mag.

A 40s&w is a great round but it is not a guarantee.No caliber is

With all that said,carry the biggest handgun you can shoot well.

For most a 44mag isn't good for follow up shots.
The 45ACP is a very formidable round,IF you have hands big enough to hold the grip (the recoil isn't bad at all) and you can heft the gun to aim it.Great stopping power in a big package
OK for us big guys to CC

Most 40S&W guns are a great size for most people and shoot a great round.Good stopping power in a size suited for most people.Not bad for us big guys and OK for most to CC

The 9mms have all the power you need to drop a normal,not extremely drugged out individual.(as is true with most guns).
There are plenty of great self defense rounds for 9mm now.Plenty of everything to be a man stopper.
Guns in 9mm come from smaller to full size,so there is one for most to CC

The 380.It is fine for self defense,but now shot placement is paramount.These lack some energy...and speed...to be a perfect man stopper.
BUT if you are very proficient with a PPK and can put all the rounds in someone's chest or head,they definitely do the job.

Now to the 22's.All shot placement.And if I put 10 rounds into a guys heart or eye socket..wel the threat is gunna stop real soon.

Can't shoot that well? If he's 10 feet from me,which is probably the going distance for a shooting like this,yes,yes I'll put all the rounds exactly where I want.

It's all placement.If you are very good with the 22,then it is what you should carry.If you can't hit anything with a larger caliber,it isn't much good now is it?

Carry what you shoot best

Here is an article that agrees with mjbskwim. Carry a firearm that you can hit your target with.

<broken link removed>

Don't worry about 9mm / .40S&W / .45 ACP caliber E-argument.

Buy whatever you are comfortable shooting with and practice.

Shot placement is the key.

And to OP, firing warning shot? Do you think that is right way to handle firearms?

I think you have the wrong idea of CCW.

the man that said shot placement is the key is right on the money. and i might add multiple times 2,3 4 times till the threat stops period ,and a 22 will work alot of people have ben killed with a 22. my dad has killed alot of cows with just a 22. point at the bridge of a mans nose and shoot with any caliber and watch how fast they drop.

You fired warning shots in the air "civilian side" to break up a scuffle? Seriously, WTF?
I suggest that you take some classes where you can increase your knowledge of gun handling and use a variety of pistol calibers. One of the fundamental rules for safe gun handling is to know your target and what is beyond. I cannot understand why you have the mindset that it is OK to fire a gun in the air as a warning shot unless you haven't had proper training or you were under the influence.
I am not even going to suggest what would be a good replacement gun since it appears that you don't practice the basics of gun safety. It is not my intention to be rude by suggesting to get additional training, but firing warning shots in the air?

Not trying to start a flame war and I do understand why what I decided to do is a major no no. I served 3 years with the Rangers with 2 tours, I have had the training and do understand the dangers of firing into the air but it was the best with what I could do in that particular situation so Im going to give you some small details on why I choose to shoot into the air. "Civilian side" was used because I've never had to fire a weapon for any reason yet at home besides at the range and didnt want my first shots to be on someone unless I absolutely had to.

I don't drink, but the people that were at this gathering were. Small disagreement turned into a scuffle with more people jumping in to the point that I saw someone reaching for a knife on a belt. I do not take firing at someone lightly, if it's pointing at you im aiming to drop you. No safe horizontal direction to fire due to the amount of people and gravel on the ground. I'm not about to take a knife for anyone I don't know but it had to be stopped.

I say scuffle cause it was only 4 people, some punches, but mostly wrestling on the ground and the one with the knife was about to jump in so I made a choice.

Again not trying to start a argument here of any sort, just wanted to let you know what I thought was best given my situation. If something like this happens again I'll probably make a different decision but I'll hope they circumstances can be different.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top