JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have to go to the airport Sun to pick up my Mother. Is it legal to carry concealed inside the airport, I won't be going past the security check. If anyone knows the law on that it would be great to know.

Thanks

Wallygator

You can carry into the airport this side of the metal detectors. But dont take my word for it. Contact OFF. Those guys know their stuff. I'm an OFF supporter!

I remember that OFF won the case against portland airport security. It's legal to carry at pdx airport before the check point.

Anybody got a cite to this? Last I heard was that the Port of Portland was contending that it's rules barring guns from the terminal were lawful, notwithstanding Oregon's preemption statute. But I haven't been following that closely.

CEF Here's what I found on the OFF site. It looks like the port officially had to rescind their ordinance, but you run good chance of getting arrested or at the very least hassled if you are caught carrying in the Airport even though the port police know you can legally carry. I would just make sure concealed means concealed.

The Port of Portland issued an ordinance in 1996 saying "no guns, no exceptions." This was ordinance 377-R (Of course, this does not apply if you are legally traveling with a firearm and it's in your checked baggage.)
This obviously was not a reaction to 9/11, since it was written well before that.
The problem is, Oregon law very clearly PROHIBITS the Port of Portland from enacting any such ordinance. When we contacted the Chief of Police of the Port of Portland, Chief Phil Klahn, and asked him (very politely) about this contradiction, he had their lawyer, Barbara Jacobsen call us back She left a voice message telling us that she had given our name to the Department of Homeland Security. (Insert joke about them here.)
After numerous attempts to get an answer, we finally received a long letter from Jacobsen explaining why she believed the Port had the right to create such an ordinance.
We then forwarded THAT letter to House Representative Wayne Scott. He took it to "Legislative Counsel." These are the lawyers for the legislature. They actually write the laws the legislators request.
Their response was pretty straightforward. In their opinion, the Port of Portland may NOT enact any such ordinance.
Here's a direct quote from their opinion: "You have asked whether the Port of Portland has the authority to enact regulations prohibiting a person from carrying a firearm in the terminal at the Portland International Airport. The short answer is no."
We then forwarded their opinion to both Chief Klahn and Barbara Jacobsen. The Chief had advised us to advise you (our supporters) not to carry in the terminal. After reading the opinion of Legislative Counsel, he replied once again that his officers could cite license holders and then they could "have their day in court." Attorney Jacobsen has not responded at all. Your tax dollars at work.
So, as it stands, the law says you may carry in the terminal. The Port of Portland says you can be arrested if you are obeying the law. Legislative Counsel says the Port of Portland may not enforce this ordinance, and the Port of Portland Police say they don't care.
Hope this clears everything up. (This issue has been resolved. The Port rescinded its illegal ordinance in August of 2008.)

thanks for the response. im 23 and new to guns but am amazed by the horrible view people have on the and have decided that for the rest of my life i am going to work to change that guns arent bad certain people are, there were three store robbed on 82nd drive last week at knife point so apparently its not guns that cause crime. sorry wanted to rant any tips on clubs or events to go to would be great

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top