JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I'm attending an event at Keller Auditorium this week in Portland and was wondering what the security checks are to see if I can carry my CHL.

I'd like to be able to carry in Portland and not have to put it in the truck lock box.

Any insight is appreciated!

IIRC there is a sign stating concealed carry not allowed. However, NO ONE looks at anything beyond scanning your ticket at the door and ushers seeing if you need assistance finding your seat location.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. The event checked bags but no metal detectors. There were signs on the doors saying no weapons (even CHL) allowed in the building.

Maybe I was carrying, maybe I wasn't....that's the point of "concealed"

The building is owned by the city of Portland but I'm not sure they care what the laws are regarding CHL.

My wife and I have found that "purse checks" are mostly looking for glass liquor bottles. She set off the portable walk thru metal detector at place in Portland last month and the private security guy about $#!^ himself. She just smiled and said "Must be the metal buckles on my boots" and he let her just walk in. Of course she is cute and innocent looking while I would have been tackled because I dress like this
1453057740352.jpg

From their 2021 technical specs:

"Firearms are not permitted in public buildings except under limited circumstances including possession of a concealed weapons permit. While Portland'5 cannot ban those with concealed weapons permits from carrying firearms into a public building, the event Licensee, as a private entity, may choose to ban any weapons from the premises."

No clarification on what the private entity would need to do to ban weapons from their licensed event.

From their 2021 technical specs:

"Firearms are not permitted in public buildings except under limited circumstances including possession of a concealed weapons permit. While Portland'5 cannot ban those with concealed weapons permits from carrying firearms into a public building, the event Licensee, as a private entity, may choose to ban any weapons from the premises."

No clarification on what the private entity would need to do to ban weapons from their licensed event.

I was carrying when I went to the Moda center for a non sports event. When I walked up I saw the sign outside and there was a guy searching bags and wanding people down. I figured that if he found my 45 I would just go back to the car and stow it. I put my keys on the table and he starts wanding me down. He wands right over my pistol...nothing.
I heard the wand making noises so the batteries weren't dead. Go figure. Feel safe now?

I was carrying when I went to the Moda center for a non sports event. When I walked up I saw the sign outside and there was a guy searching bags and wanding people down. I figured that if he found my 45 I would just go back to the car and stow it. I put my keys on the table and he starts wanding me down. He wands right over my pistol...nothing.
I heard the wand making noises so the batteries weren't dead. Go figure. Feel safe now?

I went to the Keller last night and there was no wanding or metal detectors. Just some old ladies scanning tickets. Didn't even see any signage about weapons, though the tickets do say "no weapons of any kind".

An update for anyone wondering. Went to the Keller last night 12/2/23 for a comedy show. They did have walk through detectors. I was pulled aside and asked if I had anything in my pockets. I was carrying at the 3 o'clock position which the detector showed on its screen. Luckily I had my pocket knife and showed it to the lady (under 3" blade is allowed in). Went right in after that.

Good to know, @OrHunter2023 . Not that I would have a reason to go to the Keller, anyway, but now it's on my "No Fly" list. Don't need to be one of the fish in the barrel.
Might be different if there was armed security onsite, but dollars to doughnuts they don't have any.

An update for anyone wondering. Went to the Keller last night 12/2/23 for a comedy show. They did have walk through detectors. I was pulled aside and asked if I had anything in my pockets. I was carrying at the 3 o'clock position which the detector showed on its screen. Luckily I had my pocket knife and showed it to the lady (under 3" blade is allowed in). Went right in after that.
Useful information. Keller going woke has terminated a family tradition of going to see the Nutcracker. I figure it this way, it's their loss. Saves me in the neighborhood of $600 between tickets and dinner. Maybe I'll treat myself to a new revolver, in memoriam of Keller's/Portland's wokeness…

I went with the folks to see Nutcracker, once.
To me it was tough staying awake long enough to get out the door!
The Singing Christmas Tree I really enjoyed, but no need to go again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top