JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you carry a rifle or shotgun in your car/truck as a "just-in-case" kind of thing? My buddy and I were talking the other night about it after I made the comment that I want to keep my 12 Ga. in my truck because I run through some sketchy neighborhoods and areas sometimes and sometimes feel a bit threatened and would like more than a knife to feel protected if anything, God forbid, happened. He keeps a shotgun in his trunk and ammunition in his car. He's also 21 and carries, as for me, I'm only 19 and can't carry legally in Washington. So what are your guys's thoughts on keeping a spare in your car/truck as a precaution?

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you carry a rifle or shotgun in your car/truck as a "just-in-case" kind of thing? My buddy and I were talking the other night about it after I made the comment that I want to keep my 12 Ga. in my truck because I run through some sketchy neighborhoods and areas sometimes and sometimes feel a bit threatened and would like more than a knife to feel protected if anything, God forbid, happened. He keeps a shotgun in his trunk and ammunition in his car. He's also 21 and carries, as for me, I'm only 19 and can't carry legally in Washington. So what are your guys's thoughts on keeping a spare in your car/truck as a precaution?

if your getting car jacked its pointless since you have no access to it. a vehicle safe on the other hand is not a bad idea for transporting your rifle/shotgun with the security of knowing nobody would be the wiser to its presence. in Oregon I can keep a loaded rifle/shotgun(not handgun without a CHL) in my lap if I wanted to, I dunno about Washington.

I'm not worried about my truck getting jacked or anything, I'm just very aware of where I am and know the crime stats for the areas and it can get pretty dangerous depending on where you are and when. I'd like to have the assurance of if someone starts bubblegum or tries something, I have something that I can come back with for defense. I've been thinking about getting a vehicle safe made for my truck for under my center console and throw my Winchester Defender under there just in case anything does happen. I know the Washington laws are pretty stringent and we have to follow a laundry list of rules if I recall.

I keep a cheapo 12ga in every car I own. Cheapo's can be used for hunting self defense or changing a tire.

237_zps1b610315.jpg

I cerakote them tho : )

No loaded shotguns or rifles in or on a vehicle in Washington. The law is supposed to stop poaching or road hunting or something but stops any loaded long guns in cars.

RCW 77.15.460

There it is! I knew I had seen the RCW for it before, just couldn't remember where. So basically you keep the gun out of reach and ammunition of reach from the gun to be on the safe side.

Remington 1100 Tactical with Side Saddle in the truck or Subaru whenever I leave the house. I did keep an AR 15 in the vehicles but switched to the shotgun in the event of wildlife (4 legged)contacts off the beaten path. Plus I got a good deal on the ex-police dept. 1100 with rifle sights, extended mag and sling swivels, almost bought 2 of them.

Stay in the house at night till you can get a c.h.l. then you will not need a shotgun. also if you get pulled over in the middle of the night and a cop finds your shotgun in the car, he may be a hardcase and charge you with something,which will cost you time and money in court regardless of whether you are guilty or innocent of anything. possibly eliminating your ability to EVER obtain a c.h.l. just a old grumpy man's opinion of things.:mad:

For what you are talking about,I would have a rifle or shot gun with a magazine,unless you are pretty quick loading the thing.
And you can keep the rounds in you pocket if you like,with the gun near by.
I keep a few shotgun shells in my shirt pocket while grouse hunting and the shotgun opened by my side,muzzle on the floor.
If you get stopped in Tacoma this way,you will be interviewed for a lengthy bit of time. So maybe have the long gun under a coat? (breach open)
And get a "Bore Store" (Protective Gun Cases Silicone Treated - Bore Stores ) if you are leaving it in your truck all the time.

There it is! I knew I had seen the RCW for it before, just couldn't remember where. So basically you keep the gun out of reach and ammunition of reach from the gun to be on the safe side.

NO, that is NOT the definition of loaded in WA. Have you read ANY of the links I have posted for you?

You can have the shotgun in your lap empty, shell in your hand and be 100% legal. Or you can have a side saddle or stock pouch with ammo in it within each reach and still legal.

im pretty sure you can get a stun gun. wont do much good for more than one person but if your in the car, you could just keep driving. just know that anytime you use a stun gun you have to report it to police the same as using a handgun.

I pack an unloaded mini 14 with loaded mags in the trunk, and body armor when visiting badder areas. But I also have a day pack and (2) 2 liter bladder canteens full, a hydration bladder in the pack, some emergency rations and a full med kit

Ceiling racks are nice. Have one in my pick-up. Most of the time I keep an old 20g/22 other times a mossberg. Around here we don't have many break ins. While in Portland in a big parking lot a while back a guy was caught going thru a car a couple slots down. When we got to the truck there were cops and security all over. Looking at rigs up and down the rows. We were asked if anything looked out of place. I looked in, shotgun was still up there so I said no. So were bs'ing with an officer at my open truck door. He'd looked over my truck several times, as cops do. After better than five minutes he finally spots the shotgun, got all wide eyed and nervous. Says can you step away from the door. I say we are leaving anyway. Ok he says and complimented me in my setup. So I believe it's pretty safe up there. Apparently very few people including some cops and security even my own brother that used to own the truck, didnt notice.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369671740.642413.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369671740.642413.jpg

Keep a greased up NEF pardner pump in your vehicle. The grease prevents rust and the pardner is inexpensive enough to where if it was stolen you're not out too much. If mosin m44s were still super cheap id suggest that as well.

But if storing any firearm in your vehicle make sure you've got the SN number and you report it (if you so choose) to snag the person who may have stolen it when they try to sell to a pawn shop or FFL.

Also, i wouldn't put a pistol grip on it (unless it is a pistol grip+stock) so your OAL isn't an issue. Ive yet to see a case where someone went to club fed after a SD situation because it was under the legal over all length.. But i wouldn't was to be the teat subject for that case. Not to mention PG only shotguns are useless in an open environment. Its much more effective to have a shotgun with a stock outdoors than one with just a pistol grip. Indoors is a different story. But other than compact storage and a cool factor they've been shown to be leas useful than a standard length stocked shotgun.

I keep a Shotgun with a choke set in my truck 90% of the time. And that doesn't include what i lug around with me that i take in and out as i go in for the night (pistol and if Im far away from home, a rifle). A shotgun is a very useful tool and paired with different loads (birdshot, buckshot, flares and slugs) and chokes (better accuracy & distances with multiple loads) one can work they're way back home if S-ever hits the-F OR defuse/defend a possible situation.

Ceiling racks are nice. Have one in my pick-up. Most of the time I keep an old 20g/22 other times a mossberg. Around here we don't have many break ins. While in Portland in a big parking lot a while back a guy was caught going thru a car a couple slots down. When we got to the truck there were cops and security all over. Looking at rigs up and down the rows. We were asked if anything looked out of place. I looked in, shotgun was still up there so I said no. So were bs'ing with an officer at my open truck door. He'd looked over my truck several times, as cops do. After better than five minutes he finally spots the shotgun, got all wide eyed and nervous. Says can you step away from the door. I say we are leaving anyway. Ok he says and complimented me in my setup. So I believe it's pretty safe up there. Apparently very few people including some cops and security even my own brother that used to own the truck, didnt notice.
View attachment 63993
is that one of the BIG SKY racks from unified safety?

ELS-220-Mechanism.jpg

ELS-210.jpg

Law Enforcement Racks « Big Sky Racks

They are not the cheapest but this is the most secure way to keep long guns in easy reach. These are very easy to mount in a pickup behind the rear seat out of sight. They lock with an electronic switch that is hidden but also have a barrel key override just in case.

You would have to commit a fairly serious offense for any police officer to search your vehicle and discover them.

ELS-220-Mechanism.jpg

ELS-210.jpg

Last Edited:
Get a Kel Tec sub 2000 or su16 it will fit in your glove compartment.

You can't just shove a gun in the glove box or hide it in your vehicle (passenger compartment) without a CPL. This would be extremely bad advice and would get you in huge trouble if discovered in the state of WA.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top