JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't go to the movies that often (last night was the first time in probably a year).

So as we are walking up to the theater I was watching two hired in security people (one sitting, one standing) next to the tables at the front doors.

These security people were "looking" in backpacks, womans hand bags and other bags that folks were carrying into the theater. I asked the gal what she was looking for (I've found ignorant questions generally get the most humorus, made up responses). This gals says "for your safety, we are looking for weapons". I really wanted to lean in closer to her and tell her "if you're looking for bombs, you're grossly underpaid", but opted out of bringing attention to myself.

So it's like 70+ degrees there in the parking lot, I'm wearing a flannel over-shirt to cover my cc 9mm and this woman is going through my wifes and my daughters bags.....

I realize they are looking for something that appears to be a cooking utensil, but do we actually believe that these hired in security companies are going to spend any money to train these people on what to look for, or what to do if they do indeed see something?

As I was pondering what the security person might do if they say, lets say a fondu pot.... Would they yell "BOMB" and run their butt the opposite direction? Thus providing the movie goers with a very loud warning and the proper escape direction (follow the running security gaurd)....

Lastly, is posting two security gaurds at the door their idea theater security? By doing so, are they assuming responsibility for me and my family while inside their establishment?

Overall, I found the entire "security" idea a joke. I'm not making fun of the security people, they have a job and that is where their company placed them that day. But are these security companies placing their people (under paid and under trained) in a situtation of unacceptable risk?

Oh, don't bother with the GI Joe movie... It sucked

I am curious if there is any posted statement of how you lose your rights by being on their premises.
I think old movie tickets used to have on the back of them that you could be asked to leave at any time and receive a refund, but nothing about searches without probable cause.

This happens at Clackamas Town Center............a sign that says no guns and nothing to stop it or monitor it(unless this has changed in the past couple weeks). This is the mentality of most of corporate offices today...... Post a policy that makes the public look like they are doing something tuff and to make the "Gun Violence" crowd feel good, all the while doing NOTHING......gotta love it.

I am curious if there is any posted statement of how you lose your rights by being on their premises.
I think old movie tickets used to have on the back of them that you could be asked to leave at any time and receive a refund, but nothing about searches without probable cause.

Private property. Your rights end at the door. If you CHOOSE to enter, you agree to submit to their rules. Don't like the rules? Don't go there.

Private property. Your rights end at the door. If you CHOOSE to enter, you agree to submit to their rules. Don't like the rules? Don't go there.

At the Independence city 4th of July fireworks show. The town sets up a perimeter around a few public downtown streets and a city park. You have to pay $1 and let them search your bags to get in. Makes me mad as a hockey stick that on a day we celebrate fighting off an over powering govt we submit to an over powering govt. This is on PUBLIC property. Makes me mad.

For the most part, it's just a show. I know because I do security myself. It's just visual deterrence for the most part and most security don't know their A-holes from their elbows... how do I know? I work with some!

During Sep. 11 of 2011 I believe, we were told at work that we need to have our emergency lights (strobe lights) on out patrol vehicle while conducting vehicle patrol (we normally don't turn lights on unless it's emergency). It was to deter anyone that might do something.... really!?!? if someone is determined to do damage, they will do it. Some orange strobe light and two guards on post would not deter me a bit... just saying. I as an unarmed security officer without a gun is suppose to deter terrorist activity? knowing that the damn government does false flag or some people are really crazy and do whatever...... and I'm suppose to scare off evil with my lights? hahahahah get real!

We get told at work to do this and that if there is a bomb threat, a fire, or a gunman on site. You know what I'm gonna do? either run or hop in my patrol car and never look back because I am not trained, I am not paid enough, and I don't have decent self defense tools!

I work at a gun free zone and it's a joke. The only thing we have is our pepper spray and we have millions of dollars worth of assets at times. All is needed is two crazy mofos with AK 47s (or other weapons) to come by and we have no way of defending ourselves. At the same time, to be honest, some of the idiots that I work with, I wouldn't want them to have a gun.

So in conclusion, it's all a joke. It's to make the sheep feel comfortable and feel like by getting their bags searched, that they are far away from harm and safe. If I was there, after my movie I would approach the security and asked for a manager and I would tell them all that I was the real "security" and first responder because I was legally armed and if someone had done something stupid, I would have responded.............. not some ding-dong in a uniform sticking their hands in my wife's purse.

During Sep. 11 of 2011 I believe, we were told at work that we need to have our emergency lights (strobe lights) on out patrol vehicle while conducting vehicle patrol (we normally don't turn lights on unless it's emergency). It was to deter anyone that might do something.... really!?!? if someone is determined to do damage, they will do it. Some orange strobe light and two guards on post would not deter me a bit... just saying.

LOL - since about that time the mall security where I used to live has been running their strobe lights when they cruised the parking lots - I always thought it was so the criminals could see them coming and be gone by the time they arrived. As you said - you don't get paid enough to put yourself at risk confronting armed criminals.

Private property. You want to carry in my house? My rules. Period. Theater says no? Their decision. Don't want to go to a movie there? Fine.

I don't think anyone was questioning the theaters decision (although seriously flawed) to not allow weapons on their premises.

The entire thread was the idea that they had security going through bags, which is a feel good effort and of little use and by providing this security are they accepting responsibility for my safety while I'm visiting their premises?

So yes, it's their "right" to post a sign saying "no weapons allowed". It is my right to not see said sign and go about my movie-going knowing that I am able to protect my family. If said estabishment finds that I'm carrying a weapon, they have every right to ask me to leave; and I will do so willingly and without question. That is the law..

Although, if said "no weapons allowed" sign displays a beretta, does that mean only a particular gun? If so, are they saying that the beretta is not a good gun?... I'm so confused.

I don't go to the movies that often (last night was the first time in probably a year).

So as we are walking up to the theater I was watching two hired in security people (one sitting, one standing) next to the tables at the front doors.

These security people were "looking" in backpacks, womans hand bags and other bags that folks were carrying into the theater. I asked the gal what she was looking for (I've found ignorant questions generally get the most humorus, made up responses). This gals says "for your safety, we are looking for weapons". I really wanted to lean in closer to her and tell her "if you're looking for bombs, you're grossly underpaid", but opted out of bringing attention to myself.

So it's like 70+ degrees there in the parking lot, I'm wearing a flannel over-shirt to cover my cc 9mm and this woman is going through my wifes and my daughters bags.....

I realize they are looking for something that appears to be a cooking utensil, but do we actually believe that these hired in security companies are going to spend any money to train these people on what to look for, or what to do if they do indeed see something?

As I was pondering what the security person might do if they say, lets say a fondu pot.... Would they yell "BOMB" and run their butt the opposite direction? Thus providing the movie goers with a very loud warning and the proper escape direction (follow the running security gaurd)....

Lastly, is posting two security gaurds at the door their idea theater security? By doing so, are they assuming responsibility for me and my family while inside their establishment?

Overall, I found the entire "security" idea a joke. I'm not making fun of the security people, they have a job and that is where their company placed them that day. But are these security companies placing their people (under paid and under trained) in a situtation of unacceptable risk?

Oh, don't bother with the GI Joe movie... It sucked

... and you still went in with your CCW, boy-howdy that is money well spent on "security"... LMAO!

When I was younger and going out to the popular bars and nightclubs of the day, I remember how the cocky/arrogant "security" (just spoiling for a fight) would pass a wand over everyone. They'd go up and down each extremity, inside and out, etc. I simply had my wallet in my hand with my folding knife in between my hand and wallet, never got caught and was ALWAYS armed in one form or fashion using this technique... stupid meat heads.

People seem to think the "firearm free zone" is about the sheeple. I don't believe it is. I would hazard a guess few even notice. What it does do is provide a modicum of defense from a civil lawsuit if "something happens". I've worked for many companies with anti-gun policies for exactly the same reason. Maybe there's a person who is worried that someone could go to a car and get a gun and come in and shoot someone, but more often it is the corporate risk group that drives the policy.

A few days after the Batman incident, my lady and I went to see Batman at Bridgeport. They stopped us and searched her bag. I asked what they were looking for, and they said that they were looking for weapons.

My girlfriend, my Ruger SR9c, my spare mag, my Al Mar Payara (knife), my 220 leumen tac light, and I enjoyed the show. Good movie.

I don't think anyone was questioning the theaters decision (although seriously flawed) to not allow weapons on their premises.

The entire thread was the idea that they had security going through bags, which is a feel good effort and of little use and by providing this security are they accepting responsibility for my safety while I'm visiting their premises?

So yes, it's their "right" to post a sign saying "no weapons allowed". It is my right to not see said sign and go about my movie-going knowing that I am able to protect my family. If said estabishment finds that I'm carrying a weapon, they have every right to ask me to leave; and I will do so willingly and without question. That is the law..

Although, if said "no weapons allowed" sign displays a beretta, does that mean only a particular gun? If so, are they saying that the beretta is not a good gun?... I'm so confused.

Don't worry about the Baretta. The graphic artist was using clip art and doesn't know the difference between a Baretta and the cop show from the 70's

Bill,

You mean like when businesses post things on the door where you enter like no shirt no shoes no service?
I still haven't seen any saying we will look in your wifes purse.

Sounds like really poor profiling to me.

I know that the last time I went to the Corvallis Carmike theater that they had not posted ghost busters on every entrance to the theater.
Relying on the one that is stuck to the ticket booth, and I don't let that one bother me because I have no intention of taking my sidearm into their ticket booth.

I am surprised that they are having security guards do that at all, I know for a fact that women keep some pretty private stuff in their hand bags.

we get searched about ever other week the last 3 years. They have never found my gun, occasionally they have me open my coat but never asked me to lift my shirt, when they do i will switch to an ankle rig.

Security is a joke.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top