JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Secret Service investigates counterfeiting, give some feds a call and get things rolling. That local cop is an idiot.

Passing counterfeit currency, probably counterfeiting, theft of a firearm, theft by deception, possession of a firearm during commission of a crime, this guy stacked up some serious felonies in about 5 minutes. You can probably add gun trafficking, felon in possession, conspiracy to commit a felony, etc., etc.

The OP did say that he may have spoken too soon so we should give him a chance to respond and see if they are following up. There are quite a few of us here that aren't afraid to pick up a phone or send off an email to see if the local LEOs are doing anything, but we should be sure of the facts before jumping.

Well the gun shop shouldn't be giving anyone ,anyone's personal info,unless that someone has a warrant. So unless the seller already had the guy's info,he can't go get the gun.
But that would be my first thought.
:eek:o_ONOW,ifin' y'all are doing deals and are suspect of this,I would definitely make the seller give YOU a picture of his ID and make sure you have his home address. If he doesn't want to,tell him to meet you at the bank to make sure the funds are legit?o_Oo_O
Take pictures or video of the transaction and bills?:s0092:
Heck this could make for a lot of unhappy folks around there
And I'm sure it will be happening around the Seattle Tacoma area soon

OK, here is the update. When I talked to my friend last night, he was pretty upset and didn't give me all the facts. The bank did in fact keep the counterfeit bills and alerted the treasury department (who is investigating a bunch of this going on in Lane County). My friend got a copy of the buyers DL, so he was accompanied to the residence listed by a detective and confronted the guy with his allegations. The man claimed that he had just sold his downhill bike in order to buy the Glock, and that is what he was given in payment. He offered to make good on the $400, but will need 30 days to do it. I don't know if my friend was stupid to agree to this, but we shall see. I think the guy is on the level because he did go to an FFL to do the transaction, and willingly gave a copy of his Drivers License. The detective also said that if the guy denied giving him the money, like if he swore he paid in $100 bills, my friend would be SOL because there was no way to prove he received the bills from that guy. So my original intent was to warn of this going around and to let everyone know to be careful.

Back during summer I found a huge stash of counter fit bills in the garbage. I called the Sheriff's office and they sent out a detective and a local F.B.I. special agent! All told, there was more then 40k worth of fake money. It was printed in sheets on some very good quality paper that normally would pass muster! I never found out what happened after, but the Special agent spent a great deal of time with me and showed my how it was likely done! Two days later, I found another stash of fake money that had been processed into single bills and had been apparently dropped for someone to come and pick up! Again, I called the Sheriff and this time they set up a very lengthy operation and did eventually catch those involved! I was told by the assistant district attorney that several people were involved and that there operation was to make and use these fake bills to make purchases at chain stores and then to return the merchandise for a refund! I was told that these bills could pass all but the most through inspection! Why did they dump these in the trash in the first place? The LEO think it might have actually been a drop! As a side note, the crooks were caught with aprox 600 I.D's or copy's of, as well as a ton of personal information on people from the local area! I was told that a local Pawn shop was a target and that a fire arm was sold to one of the crooks who was then caught with that fire arm on his person!

Back during summer I found a huge stash of counter fit bills in the garbage. I called the Sheriff's office and they sent out a detective and a local F.B.I. special agent! All told, there was more then 40k worth of fake money. It was printed in sheets on some very good quality paper that normally would pass muster! I never found out what happened after, but the Special agent spent a great deal of time with me and showed my how it was likely done! Two days later, I found another stash of fake money that had been processed into single bills and had been apparently dropped for someone to come and pick up! Again, I called the Sheriff and this time they set up a very lengthy operation and did eventually catch those involved! I was told by the assistant district attorney that several people were involved and that there operation was to make and use these fake bills to make purchases at chain stores and then to return the merchandise for a refund! I was told that these bills could pass all but the most through inspection! Why did they dump these in the trash in the first place? The LEO think it might have actually been a drop! As a side note, the crooks were caught with aprox 600 I.D's or copy's of, as well as a ton of personal information on people from the local area! I was told that a local Pawn shop was a target and that a fire arm was sold to one of the crooks who was then caught with that fire arm on his person!
Surprised there's that much of this kind of crap going on around here. Good to be aware of it.

Thanks for the heads up. Something about this one below looked funny to me, Of course, I'm not a trained expert or anything and I might have not noticed if you hadn't brought the issue up.

hillary-clinton.nocrop.w529.h282.jpg

like if he swore he paid in $100 bills, my friend would be SOL because there was no way to prove he received the bills from that guy.

Technically, not true. You can establish fingerprints or DNA if push came to shove. Clearly no one is going to be doing that, but like I said in my first comment the excuse was going to be that he got the counterfeit $20's when he sold something.

IMO, the buyer isn't a fraud. He straight up would not have done FFL if he was going to pass washed bills, or even worse, handed over a copy of his DL. That being said, he knows who is so he should consider coming clean on that because the Feds are going to be questioning the origin of his Mt. Bike sale pretty soon.

It was a random Craigslist deal, so he has no idea who the guy that gave him bills is. I just saw on the news tonight that this is huge in the Eugene area, and that there is one huge open investigation going on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top