JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My friend sold his Glock 23 today and when he tried to deposit the money, he found out that what he got was 5 real $20 bills wrapped around 20 really good fakes. Someone bleached $1 dollar bills and reprinted 20s over them. He used a counterfeit pen, but since the paper was real, it didn't give the buyer away. He went to the police with the guys name, address and phone number, but they said since he couldn't prove he got the money from the dude, there was no case. So... he sold his Glock for $100. Just a heads up, the police said that this is happening everywhere lately.

SO... this is counter fitting US currency and the cops are not interested? Because it can not be proven? What is wrong with testimony that he was paid with the counter-fit bills? Should be enough for the cops to get a Warrant and search the property for more bills and if they find anything go from there.

This smells funny to me... or maybe I just watch to much TV and am under the impression that counter-fitting money will get you a straight away trip to the slammer?

If you can buy a gun with counter-fit US $$ and walk away scott free with ZERO worries about the cops even checking it out? all I can say is, hmmm maybe crime does pay? What is to stop any one from doing this to buy everything if the cops don't give a sh|t?

I think I am going to give the cops a call soon and ask for a detective and have a conversation about this and see if this did happen to me, is the officer would not bother to come down and check it out. I just can not believe this story as stated, that the cops did not even bother with it.

If he made the transaction legally, at a FFL, would they not have his information and be able to verify that he did in fact purchase the firearm from the individual?

He did make it at an FFL, but did not discover it until hours later. He has been contacted since then and a detective is going to get with him tomorrow. I may not know the full story, so I may have been premature to bring it up. Just wanted to warn people about this funny money going around.

I know that as soon as the new bill went into effect , this started happening. People figured (and rightly so) that a person who did an "illegal" transfer would be less likely to report it to Police. They were right.

Its kind of surprising that he would do it while at an FFL leaving literally ALL the info necisary to track him down.

Who would have thought, criminals exploiting a law enacted to prevent crime.

Weird.

There are MANY ways of checking bills. The easiest of which is tactile--the collars of the presidents' suits are embossed. This is true from $5 bills and up (btw, there are MANY more fake 5'ers out there than you'd think).

I've been saving up for my Armslist deals. I almost have enough for a Glock!

monopoly-money_wide-1991457caf6d29cc74ab436d7d4139d1c630672e-s900-c85.jpg

He did make it at an FFL, but did not discover it until hours later. He has been contacted since then and a detective is going to get with him tomorrow. I may not know the full story, so I may have been premature to bring it up. Just wanted to warn people about this funny money going around.

Sounds plausible, I'm selling stuff, old cars, junk etc in prep for a move so I'll be on the watch for fake $$

Thanks for the alert about the counter-fit $$ and do let us know what happens with this later on if you can.

Bob

~

Great heads up, was this in the Eugene area? I'm shocked that LEO's aren't interested in helping, but it IS in fact a Federal case with counterfeiting and on top of that, a federal license transfer which I would imagine now makes this person a felon and unable to own a firearm as well.

I find this incredibly risky and there's a damn good chance the guy that paid him sold something and was passed off these bills. I can't imagine you'd walk in, go through FFL hoops just to pass washed $1's and think you were GTG.

I am not shocked about the response.

I've seen it before. It has been my personal observation (i.e., personal experience) that if the LEO doesn't catch someone in the act, they are generally not interested in the crime, and act like it is a chore to take the report (i.e., to do the job they are paid for).

I could go on and on about why this is, but I would just be ranting.

I've even reported someone in the act of breaking into a house, only to have cops not respond, and then respond later when the legal occupants come home to find an ex-boyfriend in her bedroom. :rolleyes:

I've been saving up for my Armslist deals. I almost have enough for a Glock!

View attachment 284301

:eek:

Sheesh, had I known you had THAT KIND of money I'd have sold you a whole Stormtrooper armor kit w/helmet, E-11 blaster, and a screen used replica of the grappling hook Luke Skywalker used to swing himself and Leia accross that Death Star chasm!

Not really.... :D

My knowledge is only from TV shows so this may be wrong, but isn't it illegal to possess counterfeit currency? And isn't the bank supposed to confiscate it if presented to them?

Yes and I'm not sure. I'm not sure what the banks are 'supposed' to do anymore, but I know they did let the owner of my shop return with a fake bill we tried to include in our deposit so people could look at it more closely.

:s0007:Its a federal crime.. Yes, Im sure someone will be interested.

Also, was the gun purchased through an FFL? Using counterfeit money to aquire a firearm is another big no no.

My last resort, Id drive to the guys house to get my property back. Maybe THEN the cops will give a damn and show up to do their job. Im not advocating violence, Im saying Id get my property or its value one way or another.

The only thing that hinges all of this.. Was it a private sale here in OR?
If so since he would have been breaking the law his claim will get put to the bottom of the list.
However if he followed the law
(which I dont support) and both went through an FFL all his records are now documented.
File the firarm as stolen, if only $100 real cash was given then the firearm was not paid for, it was put on layaway. Haha

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top