JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking of stocking up on water but found out that you can only store water for about 6 months, then it can go bad. After talking with my father he came up with the idea of buying carbonated water due to nothing being able to survive in a zero oxygen environment, would this mean that it can last considerably a lot longer than bottled water, if so how long? Would like some thoughts on how I could store water long term, safely. I have plans to start a rotation of bottled water every six months but would like a longer term storage solution. Thanks

You can get that long term storage water that lasts like 5 years. Its in little 4 oz pouches. The epicenter.com in Eugene has it for like $16 a case of 60.

Sheepdog223, one of our students is a graduate degree level Microbiologist who works in a lab. She studies micro critters/micro organisms and associated diseases. Preparedness is a part of their mindset and lifestyle.

Anyway, she has been providing OFA with some consultation on our survival curriculum and when we presented our research and recommendations on water storage she provided the following insight - FWIW:

I used to believe what you currently stated that stored city water after one year is still safe. After much discussion with her I've come to the conclusion she probably knows more about this than I do...anyway she recommends regardless if you fill a container with city water or not that we clean the water storage vessel with a solution of bleach and water and then refill water containers every three months (preferred) and once every six months at the most. Otherwise she claims there is a high probability it will contain non-pathogenic bacteria which won't kill us but can make us very sick. She recommends anything coming out of these reserve containers be purified prior to drinking especially after three months. She said most likely there will not be any pathogenic bacteria but rather non-pathogenic which can make us very sick.

She claims the city water which contains chlorine will break down over 48 hours once inside the container. Chlorine breaks down into salts and ions quickly. It is the oxygen ion that makes the chlorine a disinfectant. In the lab she worked in they will only use a bleach/water blend for one day and then must make a new batch because it breaks down so quickly and is ineffective.

She said the city water is (probably) clean going into the container. She questions city water these days and doesn't trust most municipalities water processes, systems and transmission pipes generally. There is much news about the compromising of city water systems - but that is another thread. Anyway, the water going in may be fine but the container may contain some microorganisms hidden deep in some micro cracks we cannot see and the chlorine from the city water or the prior sanitizing may not have purified that particular area. Once the chlorine is no longer effective (w/in 48 hours) these organisms are fed by the nutrients in the water and then they breed creating a non-pathogenic bacteria soup which is harmful to humans. The longer the water sits the longer they have to breed. She says eventually you have a vessel full of dead and live non-pathogenic bacteria.

She said these microorganisms or bacteria are so small and so are the cracks that there are too many "unknowns". She said the very best tactic is to change the water every three months and sanitize the vessels at the same time. If you go longer than three months and up to six she recommends purification before consuming.

Obviously the water needs to be stored in an opaque container, located in a dark area away from UV, and the temp needs to remain constant at a moderate cool temp avoid of significant temp swings/variations.

Don't shoot me...I'm just the messenger and claim no expertise on this subject. I'm just passing along what I've learned.

Can the water in a pressure cooker. Also, MIOX is wonderful and can be used to treat a village supply of water with just salt and your NV batteries.

It's gross, but I once MIOXed a concoction of about 30% sheep pee and brackish water in the mountains and was fine. It was the only water and I hadn't drank anything for two days. It wasn't too Baaaad! :s0155:

Sheepdog223, yep that is what she told me to do when I told her I'm not going to switch water out every 3 months either. She told me to filter it and then purify it with tablets or whatever. I have since purchased a Steripen UV light that uses rechargable batteries just for this mission. I don't need to filter I just need to radiate one liter at at time with the UV and within 45 seconds it is ready to go.

I have tablets as a back up but they do expire (she warned me about this) and you have to wait a period of time and they can create a unpleasant taste. I chose the Steripen because it is fast and never expires. It can breakdown but that is why I have several back up plans. Also I plan on getting a spare Steripen someday - maybe for Christmas - hint, hint, hint.

You're right on with your plan!

MIOX system, I haven't tried it, but friends in the Sandbox sure recommend it.

carbonation dosen't provide anti-microbial protection.

Sunlight degrades chlorine, that's why you have to keep adding it to your pool.
Also Hydrogen peroxide will disinfect. It is an oxidizer as bleach(sodium hypochlorite) is but will also break down as quickly if not faster, to water and oxygen.

Also the Sun will UV sterilize water but takes a bit longer as it contains all wavelengths and a UV light for sterilizing emits just the important wavelengths.

Heat 180F min for 10-15min. if you hit 212 F "boiling" you're good.
Fire kills all.

he came up with the idea of buying carbonated water due to nothing being able to survive in a zero oxygen environment

There are quite a few kinds of bacteria that can survive without oxygen, in fact there are some to which oxygen is toxic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top