JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The OP of this linked thread is a total dipchit, but there is a ton of info on this subject from people trying to penetrate his thick skull.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthrea...n-carbon-fiber-barrels&highlight=carbon+fiber
This was a fun thread for me. I got to learn a little physics (mechanical engineering, right?) and watch a know it all run himself off the road. :D

The part where he used "dampening" instead of "damping" after all that technical back and forth was priceless to me. I have to admit, the first few posts of his had me going, but I'm neither a metallurgist nor a mechanical engineer. He's nothing more than a well-practiced bullbubblegumter. Lucky we don't have any of those. :rolleyes:

This was a fun thread for me. I got to learn a little physics (mechanical engineering, right?) and watch a know it all run himself off the road. :D

The part where he used "dampening" instead of "damping" after all that technical back and forth was priceless to me. I have to admit, the first few posts of his had me going, but I'm neither a metallurgist nor a mechanical engineer. He's nothing more than

Not all carbon fiber barrels are equal...

Can't imagine for $200 extra you are getting any more quality as a good carbon fiber BLANK will run you $900ish...
Yeah its on bronwells, there is a barreled action for 375 and a carbon fiber barreled action for 575. It is from howa

I saw brownells has a 308 or 6.5 creedmore carbon fiber barreled action for 575$ with a coupon code. Is the extra hundred bucks or so make it worth it for a carbon fiber barrel? normal cost would be 375$ for a steel barrel, a normal one
Only if you have a very specific weight cutting goal. Rapid firing/heating it up is a concern. If this is your possible shtf gun, I'd avoid it for the following reason: different materials expand and contract at different rates. I'm sure theyve formulated thier materials to match as best as they can, but it can never be a true match. Also, carbon doesn't conduct heat like steel. So if you heat it up with rapid firing, it would take longer to cool down. Carbon fiber is a niche thing, and I don't want to sound like a dick or an elitist, but if you have to ask, it's probably better to get a conventional barrel until you have a need that suits such a specialized component.

I saw other people already told you that if it's something you have to ruck out for a long distance, it's definitely worth it. My fav spot takes a few mile hike and I'm a weak b with a bad back and my bull barrel 308 is a pain in the bubblegum(and back) but I also prefer the option of ripping through stendo mags if tshtf. Hope the forum has helped :)

PS: it doesn't make you shoot better, I don't know your level of experience, but for most people the extra hop-uo money is better spent on ammo and practice.

Also, carbon doesn't conduct heat like steel.
Christensen Arms claims that their composite layer dissipates heat better than steel. Not that I'd want it for an emergency situation based only on their word, but it's interesting.

Carbon fiber is a composite material. As such, it performs much differently than a metal would when utilized in firearm components. The bore of our barrels are stainless steel, but the exterior is carefully wrapped in the composite which allows heat to dissipate more effectively than it would with steel alone. More effective heat dissipation between shots means less deformation, longer barrel life, and improved accuracy.

Christensen Arms claims that their composite layer dissipates heat better than steel. Not that I'd want it for an emergency situation based only on their word, but it's interesting.
Materials science is moving at an astounding rate, I can always be wrong. Even if it does conduct, I still have the concerns of thermal expansion. Carbon fiber is a composite material. So you'd have steel, the carbon weave, and the binding agent; be it a urethane or epoxy resin. I have worked in medical ceramics and polymers for 20+ years, the expansion coefficients in our field haven't been able to do this. Usually the binding agent is the lynchpin; it has to be elastic for the sake of the heat involved in its' manufacture. I'd love to understand it if someone can post a write up about their claims and method testing, but my understanding is that it's either not ridged or it conducts. I'll use the age old analogy of cheap fast and good - pick two.

Materials science is moving at an astounding rate, I can always be wrong. Even if it does conduct, I still have the concerns of thermal expansion. Carbon fiber is a composite material. So you'd have steel, the carbon weave, and the binding agent; be it a urethane or epoxy resin. I have worked in medical ceramics and polymers for 20+ years, the expansion coefficients in our field haven't been able to do this. Usually the binding agent is the lynchpin; it has to be elastic for the sake of the heat involved in its' manufacture. I'd love to understand it if someone can post a write up about their claims and method testing, but my understanding is that it's either not ridged or it conducts. I'll use the age old analogy of cheap fast and good - pick two.
Here's their background:

Founded in Utah in 1995, with roots in the aerospace industry, Christensen Arms developed the first carbon fiber rifle barrel. This patented technology resulted in one of the most innovative advances in firearms within the last two and a half decades. With over 20 years of firearm experience focusing on using top-tier aerospace materials and processes, Christensen Arms manufacturers some of the most lightweight, precise, and accurate firearms in the industry and around the globe.
Source:

I actually got this from @Paolung's post earlier in this thread. Credit where credit is due.

My experience and initial training in composite materials before my work in prosthetics was learned in my job in the air force. In aerospace, most of the fatigue is n airframes comes from the stress of expanding and contraction from heating up and cooling down. Carbon is a metallic element, it does conduct well, I'm not doubting that. Carbon barrels aren't just carbon and steel. There is an impregnated binding agent which is what makes it "composite." I am not saying these barrels aren't good or extremely effective at their specialized purpose of delivering the aspects of a bull barrel at a pencil barrel weight. The expansion coefficients of the materials in composite materials can rarely ever be completely matched. To this point, is why I made the initial statements of whether this barrel is appropriate or not for the user. If theyre going to be heating it up with mag dumps on every use and not rucking it or trekking mad distsnce for hikes are major considerations. I'm sure they have made a good product, I'm just curious about the stresses of expansion. Not trying to argue about their credentials on the "about us" page. It's very cool. Very 21st century. I have a carbon fiber reinforced polymer barrel with a 22 cal barrel sleeve project that works fine. It's not at all the same thing, just voicing a concern for the end user and their expectations

My experience and initial training in composite materials before my work in prosthetics was learned in my job in the air force. In aerospace, most of the fatigue is n airframes comes from the stress of expanding and contraction from heating up and cooling down. Carbon is a metallic element, it does conduct well, I'm not doubting that. Carbon barrels aren't just carbon and steel. There is an impregnated binding agent which is what makes it "composite." I am not saying these barrels aren't good or extremely effective at their specialized purpose of delivering the aspects of a bull barrel at a pencil barrel weight. The expansion coefficients of the materials in composite materials can rarely ever be completely matched. To this point, is why I made the initial statements of whether this barrel is appropriate or not for the user. If theyre going to be heating it up with mag dumps on every use and not rucking it or trekking mad distsnce for hikes are major considerations. I'm sure they have made a good product, I'm just curious about the stresses of expansion. Not trying to argue about their credentials on the "about us" page. It's very cool. Very 21st century. I have a carbon fiber reinforced polymer barrel with a 22 cal barrel sleeve project that works fine. It's not at all the same thing, just voicing a concern for the end user and their expectations
I don't doubt you, and what you say makes sense. The fact that they've been making composite barrels for 20 years and they have several ARs in their product line now makes me suspect they've reached a practical level of durability. I still wouldn't personally need one, but they seem legit.

I don't doubt you, and what you say makes sense. The fact that they've been making composite barrels for 20 years and they have several ARs in their product line now makes me suspect they've reached a practical level of durability. I still wouldn't personally need one, but they seem legit.
I get you, man. I just didn't want to come off like some kind of Luddite or even worse, a one-upsman. I love the work and engineering that goes into niche stuff. I'm sure this can handle more heat and ammo than my financial ego can support haha

I couldn't care less if "top competitors" run a product or not. I'm not competing with them 🤷‍♂️
Not the point of that statement. Folks are often fooled by marketing because marketing works. Tell something to people long enough they think it's true.

I look towards competitors of all creeds to get an idea of what is the best as those that compete are always tweaking what they can to win.

The fact that no competitors run carbon barrels truly proves, to me at least, that they likely are not "better" as some companies imply.

Combine that with a bit of knowledge on carbon fiber machining and I know that other than the labor that goes into making one of these barrels the material costs are much lower than the prices they charge. So you are paying for labor, high labor costs at that. If any computer driven carbon wrapping machines are involved, you are paying for a brand or marketing.

I have a few carbon fiber barrels myself. Some people say the point of impact changes once the barrel heats up due to the material differences. I have not seen thay issue at all and everything holds zero even after 30rd dump. I have a BSF carbon fiber barreled AR-15 and a christensen arms CA-10 carbon fiber. I also just built a christensen 16in barrel ar-15 which I haven't shot yet.

I do not think they are any better than a standard match barrel but you do get a nice bull barrel with the weight of a pencil barrel. The accuracy will all depend on the blank quality used. These barrels are a marketing ploy 100% for light weight and said cool factor. It will not make the gun more accurate or more effective and there are equal if not better barrels for cheaper.

Not the point of that statement. Folks are often fooled by marketing because marketing works. Tell something to people long enough they think it's true.

I look towards competitors of all creeds to get an idea of what is the best as those that compete are always tweaking what they can to win.

The fact that no competitors run carbon barrels truly proves, to me at least, that they likely are not "better" as some companies imply.

Combine that with a bit of knowledge on carbon fiber machining and I know that other than the labor that goes into making one of these barrels the material costs are much lower than the prices they charge. So you are paying for labor, high labor costs at that. If any computer driven carbon wrapping machines are involved, you are paying for a brand or marketing.
While to some degree I agree it's a bit gimmicky, I don't think the price of carbon barrels is as cynical as you put it. Specialized machinery like a wrapping machine isn't cheap. Making CNC tooling pay for itself is not an easy feat. Someone has to invent and design it, write a CNC program that takes years of education, finance it at some absurd interest rate and assume a lot of risk, and not to mention the carbon used in aerospace... The fibers have to be perfectly uniform to ensure impact shift which means it's manufacture and transport gets exponentially more expensive than anything used in common "carbon fiber" uses. I imagine gun barrels aren't the primary use of these machines and it's an off hour job, as most CNC machines are run 24 hours a day.
Just considerations to wonder about.
By the way what competitions are you referring to? Do you mean like Olympics and race guns, ipsa etc? I don't know that any of those involve carrying a bull barreled rifle a long distance which is kind of that the functionality of this seems to be. A friend of mine has one and I'm going to get to look at one soon.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top