JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have the choice and I'd like some opinions on which carbine to go with.

Right now I have a m1 carbine .30 cal it's a us gi. And I have the opertunity to trade it for a nice decked out ar carbine .223.

Well I love the little m1 it's a great gun and light and fun, but Ammo is not very common and neither are mags for it.
I was thinking in a shhtf situation it would be hard to find Ammo or mags for were as the ars are so common you find parts/mags/Ammo anywhere you look.

I know the m1 has a lot more value since its ww2 that's one reason I am also very hesitant.

So should I do the trade thinking of shtf situation or just hold out and hope to find parts/Ammo for the m1?

jp, I think I would keep the M-1 Carbine and then check out all of the people, on this forum, who build AR carbines and rifles! I'm sure they would guide you building your own AR. I'm not a fan of the little M-1, but It must be worth more than a base line AR.
Also, you end up with two rifles! :D Just IMHO.

I agree with SgtNambu , Keep the M-1 and build an AR. That little M-1 is only going to increase in value and the AR, well......Not so much! Ammo can be a bit hard to come by some times, and mags too, but if you shop around, you can do pretty good! As much as I hate the round, I gotta have one just in case, and it does have it's place in a SHTF type deal!

kind of depends on the Ar15 carbine you are looking at if its a colt I would say trade !!! if its something else well it depends on what that something else is. In the long run only name brand models of ar15s will really hold there value with the flooding market you can build an ar15 now for under $450 and thats with paper work included (although I warn you that's when the BRF can begin and you'll want to upgrade but that can happen according to your budget . The market is not flooded with M1 carbines. but like you mentioned the available ammo (unless you know how to reload) is an issue.

too bad you can't keep the M1 carbine and pick up a cheap budget ar15 carbine... Or can you?

I think the big question is first what is the make model of the Ar15 and what is it decked out with nice quality US made accessories or cheap China made parts that look cool to a newbie but basically just tack on junk.

and the key factor which one do you want more?

Last Edited:
Another vote for keeping the M1 carbine.
Decent WWII carbines are getting harder to come by and are going up in value.
As for the ammo and magazines ... Since Rock-Ola is back in business and Inland is making Carbines again as well , maybe the ammo and magazine situation will improve.

I think this is worse case , but I would hate to trade off a Carbine for a AR , then find that AR's are now banned* where I live. Not saying that this should or would happen , but Murphy is my best friend at the worst times ... LOL.
Andy

*Edit to add I have no doubt that M1 Carbines are on someone's "Naughty Guns to Own list". Its just that AR type rifles are in the spotlight at the moment ...

Last Edited:
Another vote to keep the M1 and separately get an AR, either by building your own, or saving up for one. Those carbines are getting harder to find, AR's not really at all. And if you do choose to build an AR on your own (not super difficult), you can buy it piece by piece. Start with the lower and lower parts kit, buffer tube and stock and you'll have the complete lower. Then add either a completed upper or build one by collecting parts a piece at a time.

Hard to tell which scenario of EOTW is actually going to play out, but there's nothing wrong with an M-1 carbine. If I REALLY wanted an AR, I'd go the route of picking up components as I can afford them while still buying some .30 for the M-1.

If EOTW doesn't happen in your lifetime, you still have a piece of history that is still a fine rifle.

Besides, I've heard it said that once you get bit by the "Black Rifle Disease", supporting a mistress on crack might be cheaper. Or maybe that was about owning airplanes.

If the ar only has a .223 barrel then there's your answer right there...

If it won't take 5.56 then why even bother.
Why? If its dedicated for varmints then might as well get a .223 barrel for the extra theoretical accuracy for peace of mind. And a separate upper with a 5.56 chamber. Or get a .223 wylde chamber to shoot most of both.

Keep it, heck, both are so light you can fire one in each hand! It took me a while but I built a nice M4gery carbine over about a year. Get the lower first, complete or stripped, then LPK, then BCG and everything else is easy. I had a blast. Looked at a Universal M1 at store yesterday, not impressed. If you have a more authentic keep it. And keep buying the cartridges, they are out there. I visited 5 stores in the past week and they all had .30 carbine ammo. Beware of EBR disease. I am contemplating another relapse.

Brutus out

So should I do the trade thinking of shtf situation or just hold out and hope to find parts/Ammo for the m1?

Magazines and ammo for the M1 Carbine are very easy to find online from Internet vendors.

If you are looking in smaller, local gun stores, you very well may not find much. If you don't want to buy online, call some big stores like Sportsman's Warehouse in Salem, or Keith's in Gresham.

Thanks for all the replys guys. Yeah i am thinking on getting into reloading of the caliber and just keeping it, but man i want an ebr really bad:p.

I think i will hold onto the m1 carbine for now until i get enough stuff to reload it and see how that. Thinking i may have to get rid of one of the other rifles in the safe to fund an ebr.

As for the mags yes i would stock up on the for now but funds prevent me from doing so and if it ever becomes a shtf then i wont be able to go out and buy them in the stores or online, so if reloading goes well then i will have to grab more mags for it. I tried one of the 30 rounders in it and it just hated that mag and wouldn't work with it well.

yeah thats what ive heard is it hard to convert the support legg or should it be done to a ww2 one i mean would it hurt the value?

yeah thats what ive heard is it hard to convert the support legg or should it be done to a ww2 one i mean would it hurt the value?

Buy one and keep it on hand. You can change it out in two minutes.

However performance is 100% with original G.I. 15 round mags in these guns.
So that is what I use.

And about EBR disease?
30 carbine disease is harder to get. But it's much worse!;)

Last Edited:
Yes i can see that, and agree i was on a m1 kick at one time. They are great little guns. Mine has the original peep style rear sight. I am always asked why don't you upgrade that to one of the later sights. But i just cant bring myself to do so i love the older style sights.
Paratrooper stocks are awesome.

And about EBR disease?
30 carbine disease is harder to get. But it's much worse!;)

This is easily the worst case of M1 Carbine disease that I have ever seen. You are infected very badly indeed.

Have you contacted the Center for Disease Control for assistance? The Obama administration most definitely does not want this disease to spread further into the US population. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top