JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys -

I'm new to the AR world although I do have general knowledge of the guns, DI vs gas piston, etc, etc... Well, I have finally bit the bullet and I've decided to get one. I will be going with a Bushmaster primarily due to special incentive pricing through my work (that I am very thankful for!) but I want to know more about the pro's/con's between the three sizes offered. I like the MOE guns and they have an MOE gun in carbine, mid length and their Dissipator (full?) size. Does one tend to be more/less reliable than another? It seems to me that the longer the gas tube the less pressure and less heat there would be on your bolt. Is that so, does it make a difference? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you -

Tim

If you go with a 16" barrel, I suggest a middy length gas-tube. The carbine length gas-tube is tuned for a 14.5" barrel and some say its harsher on the bolt, buffer, etc. I own carbine, middy, and full length AR's and I don't really notice any difference in the recoil and operation, but IMHO the middy looks more proportional on the 16" barrel with the same amount sticking out past the hand guards as the full length 20" barrel. You also get a longer sight radius with the middy which helps with accuracy.

The 16" barrel w/carbine length looks a tab bit wonky to my ascetic sensibilities, plus you can't mount a bayonet to it (and that is sooo important these days... LOL) unless you get a $200 SBR tax stamp from the BATFE, cut it down to 14.5", or permanently pin/weld/braze a muzzle device to bring it to 16" OAL . ;)

Hope that helps!

I've only had/shot carbines. I'm workin on some builds and am in need of 3 midlength gastubes to finish. The usual listied benefits are reliability, softer shooting, etc. I figure it can't hurt other than the pain of finding some gas tubes

The 16" barrel w/carbine length looks a tab bit wonky to my ascetic sensibilities

Yeah, I absolutely agree - I'm big on proportionally ascetic looks when it gets down to it, but I can sacrifice that nitpick for reliability if there was a difference between the three. The mid length was my first choice, the MOE XM15 "90839." My co-workers promptly corrected my decision and suggested going with the carbine or full size due to the ease of parts availability and the "decreasing popularity of the Mids." I don't care much about popularity. I plan on keep this rifle for a while and being MOE it is pretty much how I'd want it anyway with the exception of the hand guard. Reliability was my main concern and the gas tube being optimized for the 14.5" barrel makes sense in the carbine model. Good info guys, thank you-

I've only seen Midlength popularity going UP since I got in the AR game. People are starting to learn about gas length and barrel length instead of everything being carbine.

The 20 inch heavy barrels shoot better for me and feel better in action. They also have greater range and velocity. The carbines are handier in tight quarters.. and are better for those to whom weight is a factor. It depends on what you will be using it for..

The 20 inch heavy barrels shoot better for me and feel better in action. They also have greater range and velocity. The carbines are handier in tight quarters.. and are better for those to whom weight is a factor. It depends on what you will be using it for..

Being a 20" doesn't mean one gas system or another exactly. You're confusing barrel length with gas system length

Being a 20" doesn't mean one gas system or another exactly. You're confusing barrel length with gas system length

No, I am talking basic ergonomics, not gas tubes.. you can have any combo there that you want. I own carbines and rifles including pistol caliber blow backs and just built my gal a 5.56 carbine with 16 inch Yankee Hill diamond fluted barrel, shorty handguard and short gas tube, it works flawlessly

Oh sorry. missed where we switched from topic to random info. I thought we were posting relevant info to the op's post.

Back to topic- I don't know about Bushmaster so research to verify their Dissy's run good if decide to go that route.

Well a bayo-fit's a middy. And I can see the gasses being cooler than a shorter m-4 length gass system/tube. Not because the length of the gass tube. Because the gasses are cooler the further down the barrel you go. Allso less punishing on the bolt/carrier. Heck Whole gun I supose?
Nice to see you geting a DI gun. I don't like piston guns without a bolt carrier on a track. I know even with the bolt rocking problems some piston AR's have. That they are still likely gona last for ever. I just think an AK or 550/556 rifle with a bolt on a track is a better set up for a piston operated rifle. That's just me. To each there own.
I liked the M-4 look and the middy functionality. So I got one of each. Both RRA's. After a couple of years with both, I would keep the middy if one had to go.
Allso don't forget the chrome barrel. Get one! Don't regret it later.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I've been researching all day (on and off of NWFA) and I have decided to stick with my original choice and get a mid length. With positive reinforcement from you guys I feel much more confidant about it. Thank you! I'm going with the 90839 model Bushmaster, which is the MOE addition in FDE. First upgrade will likely be a quality quad rail. The Magpul hand guard is just way too much plastic for my liking. Thanks , Medic, of course I'm getting a chrome lined barrel.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top