JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 9mm PCC. Is it necessary or effective to adjust powder loads for carbines over pistols?
If so, does anybody have a recipe? It's a 16" barrel. 147g plated RN.

Last Edited:
Nothing required to make it run better, a PCC will always run harder ( by design) then a pistol, so your going to see higher performance! Depending on what you want, you can push 9 mm pretty hard, but faster isn't always better! I would be looking at loads that can maximize performance with heavy bullets and go from there!
I have been doing this with both .44 mag and .45 Colt for close to 40 years, and the performance is exceptional out of a Carbine length rifle!

Probably the only real difference will be you can use some of the flashier powders without them being flashy. The powders that give you the best velocity in a pistol will still probably yield the best velocity out of a carbine.

PCC will get you a higher velocity.
Load for your pistol and you'll get faster results out of the PCC>

This way ammo can go in either. I have multiple PCC's and pistols that I swap ammo in.

Probably the only real difference will be you can use some of the flashier powders without them being flashy. The powders that give you the best velocity in a pistol will still probably yield the best velocity out of a carbine.
By "flashy" you mean longer burning?

Yes flashy powders are often slower burning. Although some powders are treated with a flash suppressant. Power pistol and be-86 come to mind both are very good powders for top velocities but pp is pretty flashy and be-86 is much less so. I believe they are the same powder but be-86 is treated with a flash suppressant and costs more.

Yes flashy powders are often slower burning. Although some powders are treated with a flash suppressant. Power pistol and be-86 come to mind both are very good powders for top velocities but pp is pretty flashy and be-86 is much less so. I believe they are the same powder but be-86 is treated with a flash suppressant and costs more.
Awesome info. Thanks.

I'm running a near max load of titegroup with a 147gr bullet out of both the carbine and the pistol with and without a suppressor.

A slower powder than the "Standard" powder people normally use for short barreled/handgun 9mm loads. Titegroup, HP38, to name a couple. I'll suggest HS6, if you can find it. HS6, not as good for short barreled carry guns, good for longer barreled 9mm hand guns. Finding data for 2-3 powders above/below HS6 would be recommended too.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top