1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Carbine Course - After Training Report

Discussion in 'Archived - Oregon Firearms Academy' started by OFADAN, Jun 25, 2012.

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

This is the first of two basic level Defensive Carbine Courses we're offering in 2012. More commentary will be added about what was learned/discovered and hopefully a couple of folks who attended will chime in with some comments as well. We tend not to fully disclose everything because we do not want to ruin the experience for others who will attend in the future. Part of the learning is dealing with situations as they arise.

Note in the background companies who support OFA by supplying parts, tech support and even their staff members to our classes including our good friends at GLOCK and Leupold.

Good looking group, really dialed in and squared away! Two Next Gen Arms Carbines in the foreground with matching HALO cans.
    One in OD Green and one in Flat Dark Earth. The photo doesn't do it justice but the rifle rack is loaded down with some really high end gear! This is one of the rare times when rifles/carbines were racked.

Always appreciate a photo with Old Glory in the background. The man on the right with coffee cup is celebrating his 35th OFA course! He is signed up for one more this year! Our friends at Wild Bills Guns and OFA presented him with his own OFA Dog tags and Laser Engraved Root Beer ( yeh right) glass mug. Wild Bills is now providing laser engraving on just about everything including guns!
  2. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Eastern Oregon Active Member

Good mix of classroom and range time and excellent instructor to student ratio (about 3 to 1). This was something like my 5th or so class and I have to say the training is excellent. The SWAT qual was a great benchmark, the ajudicator was good, too (and I can't even complain about the human obstacle course!:laugh:).
    Started the day with some valuable classroom time, then range time to shake down our rifles and then moved on to moving and shooting; the next day with team communication and shooting/moving and some room clearing.
    I'm a reserve deputy sheriff and I can tell you anyone can benefit from this type of training. I've had the opportunity to learn new things every day at OFA and look forward to more.
    Very professional training with an excellent focus on safety and realistic expectations. You can tell the instructors know their stuff but at the same time are very approachable. It's a good mix of getting you comfortable in what can be a stressful training environment while stretching your abilities so you can safely grow your skills.
    Owning a firearm and having the ability to fight with one are two very different things and I would encourage anyone who even considers owning and using a firearm for self defense to take a class. WARNING - They are kind of like Lays potato chips - you're not going to be able to stop at one!
    Another very successful class -
    Bring on Carbine 2!!!
    Thanks Dan, Rick et al!
  3. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Going into this class, I had a basic knowledge of how to use my rifle, but this class put me on a whole new level! The skills taught on safety, handling, more safety, moving, dealing with malfunctions, etc have increased my confidence and ability by at least 10 times. The instructors were great and were happy to answer all the questions I had throughout the weekend, as well as providing 1 on 1 time to resolve mechanical issues I was having with my rifle. My previous class at OFA was handgun 2, and it was an eye opening experience going through the adjudicator with both a pistol (in DH2) and rifle in this class.

I would recommend this class to anyone who owns a rifle and would like to become more proficient in its use, or wants to be prepared to use it in a defensive situation. You don't need any fancy gear or previous knowledge to do this class, just a rifle and a willingness to learn. The staff will work with whatever you bring to make you effective.