Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Car Rental advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SquackDaddy, Jan 25, 2010.

1. SquackDaddy

SquackDaddy Marion County Member

My wife and I will be renting a car and driving to South Dakota in june when school gets out for summer. We will be taking our daughters, ages 6 and 3. Does anyone have an "in" with a rental company that would be willing to help us out? rebates? What rental company would you choose? Just like alot of people, finances are tight for us. Also, are there any "must see" places on the way? I've never made this drive before, and would appreciate any info/advice the NWFA braintrust can offer.

2. Gunwheeler

Gunwheeler Somewhere in De Nile Active Member

Check out if you can get a deal thru your credit card company. I don't know if they still offer discounts but in the past I have gotten a deal thru mine.

3. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

My wife and I have done that several times. Sometimes we've flown to an area, rented a car for a couple of weeks and "explored." Sometimes we've rented a car here for a round trip too.

With a weekly rate and unlimited mileage, we thought it was cheaper than pounding a few thousand miles onto our own cars (depreciation due to increased miles on our car.) One time we put 6,000 miles on a rental in two weeks and the car rental itself for a really decent car (mid size) was just about $450. Once we completely circled the US in 4 weeks and put 10k miles on a rental for about $900. You might do better.

Check with your insurance agent to be sure that your insurance covers the rental car, and don't get sucked into buying the rental company's "insurance." It can cost about 1/2 again as much as the car rental fee.

Maybe someone else knows where there's a "deal." We haven't done that for a couple of years. We always found that by calling around we could get a better deal than our credit card companies could get us.

Have fun. Those family trips are great. :thumbup:

4. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

I've booked through the Costco website and I don't recall having to input my membership number (if you don't have one):

http://www.costcotravel.com/#0

Make sure your credit card and/or insurance company covers the rental.

5. Gunner3456

Very good. $621 for intermediate size car, 14 days, unlimited miles with Budget. Didn't check the others. That's better than we did last time.

6. SquackDaddy

SquackDaddy Marion County Member

lots of good advice so far, guys. :thumbup:

7. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

The fastest cars in the world are rental cars.

Drive it like you stole it.

8. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

If you're going to South Dakota, the logical tourist stops are the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore. The one that impressed me most was the Crazy Horse Memorial. It DWARFS Mt. Rushmore! If you want quirky, you have to stop in Wall Drug! By far the biggest tourist trap I have every seen. :laugh:

9. pakrat57

pakrat57 Reedsport Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

10. Gunner3456

Wall Drug, LOL. The signs won't let him miss it. :)

Devils Tower's along the way but a bit of an extra drive. They'll go right past the site of Custer's last stand, too, right on the freeway. Well worth the stop. The town of Deadwood is in the middle of all. Of course they'll also want to drive through Sturgis although there isn't much there out of season. I've been there with a Harley for the rally - getting too old and sensible for that now. :)

The Badlands are well worth the short drive through.

11. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

12. jmh119

jmh119 Hillsboro, Oregon Member

What about AAA? I know they have discounts for members, but am not sure of how good the discount is.