JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 2006 Camry that was given to us a few years ago. My wife's Grandfather bought it with about 115k from a used car lot. It was a bit rough. Anyway, have it to is with 120k and now has 150k.

I just put a new alternator in last month and some rear struts a couple years ago.

I have done basic maintenance, oil changes and trans was slipping bad, had it services with some additive, I think it was a Lucas oil anti slip, high mileage conditioner or something like that. Been a few thousand miles and much better, still some issues, but definitely better.

I think it's time for new plugs and some front struts.

Do I need to piut new ignition coils?

I see some "tune up" packages on eBay much cheaper that coils listed at local auto parts.Like $400 vs $100 for the set. Anyone know if they are any good?

Any recommendations on struts?

any other recommendations? I can do
Some basi work myself, mostly hate working with fluids.

Any thoughts or recommendations

Where's a good place to get them?
I think ory has some KYB that seemed priced similar to cheap ones and if couldn't find anything else would go with those since price was close.

Struts can be anything. I wouldn't buy cheap ones from online nor Autozone, but really you can do whatever you want and most likely it will work out fine. Most likely.

Timing belt? I can't remember if those are an interference motor.....

@v0lcom13sn0w

If it does have a belt.The timing belt is the most important , if it goes your walking, if it's a interference motor your shopping for a new ride . And you have no control of where and when it goes out. Could chose to go while driving through a bad hood :eek:

I've replaced working parts due to age 25 plus years old .The new part that I replaced them with only lasted 18 months ,then I replaced it with the part that I originally took off . And still running strong 3 years later . They don't make stuff like they used to . On cars and firearms in most cases. In my opinion old is the way to go. 1 coil not 8 , timing chain not belt .steel on aluminum valve covers , distributors ECT, not plastic. It might appear that money is saved on gas at first but it is lost on the other end of repair bills and towing cost and frustration .plus the EMP isn't going to take them out.:s0043:

and fyi if that trans is slipping, start saving for a replacement. additives are a bandaid. transmissions are not built to work better on additives. theyre bandaids at best. trust me.

I've replaced working parts due to age 25 plus years old .The new part that I replaced them with only lasted 18 months ,then I replaced it with the part that I originally took off . And still running strong 3 years later . They don't make stuff like they used to . On cars and firearms in most cases. In my opinion old is the way to go. 1 coil not 8 , timing chain not belt .steel on aluminum valve covers , distributors ECT, not plastic. It might appear that money is saved on gas at first but it is lost on the other end of repair bills and towing cost and frustration .plus the EMP isn't going to take them out.:s0043:
factory or aftermarket replacement parts? most aftermarket part failure i run into are from autozone

I'm curious about the transmission issue. Generally speaking, Toyota transmissions have pretty low failure rate. I probably wouldn't spend much on a car with a failing transmission, but that's just me.

Denso or NGK plugs. Keep the coils unless they're actually bad. Use dielectric grease inside the boots. Keep a clean air filter in it and change the oil at 3000 mile intervals for city driving and it'll probably run forever.

Yeah, this is my concern. One of the reasons I have been hesitant to put much money in it. But at this point I've put almost 30k on it. I have even been hesitant to put a new radio with Bluetooth.

Funny part is I didn't realize it was slipping. When Grandpa gave it to use it had this slight hesitation on take off and he said that it was the one thing he didn't like and wished he could get rid of it.

I never owned a Camry so didn't think much of it, until I felt it slip in other gears.

I may just do plugs, I think coils are fine.
I change oil every 5k
and fyi if that trans is slipping, start saving for a replacement. additives are a bandaid. transmissions are not built to work better on additives. theyre bandaids at best. trust me.
I'm curious about the transmission issue. Generally speaking, Toyota transmissions have pretty low failure rate. I probably wouldn't spend much on a car with a failing transmission, but that's just me.

Denso or NGK plugs. Keep the coils unless they're actually bad. Use dielectric grease inside the boots. Keep a clean air filter in it and change the oil at 3000 mile intervals for city driving and it'll probably run forever.

Most manuals have 100K service recommendations. One of the 100k recommendations that surprised me was to wipe down rubber parts such as the door sealers with silicon oil. For my 2002 Trailblazer that I bought a few years ago I dug through Chevy forums and researched what was most likely to fail and replaced those parts after making a judgement on their wear.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top