JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hope so... <broken link removed>
I'm not so sure. While the cops should not let the bad guys get away, this sort of ruling could lead to escalation of force such as we have seen in swat raids for credit card theft where the police knew a licensed concealed carrier (proven good guy) is in the home.

I'm not so sure. While the cops should not let the bad guys get away, this sort of ruling could lead to escalation of force such as we have seen in swat raids for credit card theft where the police knew a licensed concealed carrier (proven good guy) is in the home.

I could see that too, however it's hard to argue that a person still has regard for human life when he is going 120 MPH weaving in and out of traffic clearly alluding police. In my opinion when you have chosen alluding, knowing if you don't maintain control of your vehicle, or if you fail to predict other traffic, you have essentially said that "I don't care if I harm another being as long as it helps be get away."

I would have no issue with this if the police were actually held accountable for their bad actions on a consistent basis. I think that is where most of my reservations come from.

I question the need for a high speed chase that encourages dangerous driving on both the criminal and the police. This type of driving puts innocents in danger for material things. We should instead make the penalties when they are caught much more severe to help deter theft. Many car thefts are by underage folks and they get off pretty much with "dont do that" because of their age.

I am not in favor of any kind of immunity - Not Prosecutorial, Not for Agents of the State, and especially not for LEO.

The officers need to justify their actions, especially those of deadly force.

A friend of mine was pit-maneuvered and arrested for trying to turn left off of 82nd, to get out of traffic, while being pulled over. Good kid, hard working, church every Sunday, clean record.

No, cops should not be allowed to kill you for running away. Whether you're running for good reason, bad reason, or not running at all.

No. Just no.

No, cops should not be allowed to kill you for running away.

Well, no cop is allowed to kill you for running away, least ways in the realm of our discussion. They kill you because you have recklessly endangered lives and they have a chance at stopping potential further endangerment. That is the articulation behind it. There have been many people that have died because a nonstunt driver said "I'm not going to jail" and floored it and then caused a collision where people have died. Where it is being debated is if an officer reasonably believes that the escapee will attempt to further put people at risk. My thought is that if the officers were held accountable, the possibility of it ending as such would detour people from causing such incidents.

in general there is no actual need for car chases, generally it is fueled more by the police than the driver they are trying to catch.

Reminds me of an old saying, "can't out run a Motorola". I still holds true, in many states a speeder who thinks he has gotten away and the cops have given up chasing him, is rudely awakened by what is ahead of him.

With nature, some animals have to chase a running animal, it's hardwired into them. I wonder if cops are the same way.

in general there is no actual need for car chases, generally it is fueled more by the police than the driver they are trying to catch.

Reminds me of an old saying, "can't out run a Motorola". I still holds true, in many states a speeder who thinks he has gotten away and the cops have given up chasing him, is rudely awakened by what is ahead of him.

With nature, some animals have to chase a running animal, it's hardwired into them. I wonder if cops are the same way.

The problem with this is if the officer already has reason to stop and they don't comply then it begs the question, "why didn't you stop?" It could be any number of reasons beyond just thought he could get away and out of a speeding ticket. In fact it rarely is the case. More, much more, often than not, someone has done something that warrants jail or prison time, someone who doesn't want to go back to prison, or are on the run from going the first times. Speeders getting out of tickets are a fraction of people that run.

Plus, since alluding is felonious officers actually don't have the ability to use their "discretion" when it comes down to waving off a violation of this magnitude.

After the chase - the second problem kicks in. Usually the cops adrenaline is in full force, so often that can lead to excessive force. Whether by foot or car, who ever has chased down the suspect, should not be the one to put the cuffs on and take them into custody.

The problem with this is if the officer already has reason to stop and they don't comply then it begs the question, "why didn't you stop?" It could be any number of reasons beyond just thought he could get away and out of a speeding ticket. In fact it rarely is the case. More, much more, often than not, someone has done something that warrants jail or prison time, someone who doesn't want to go back to prison, or are on the run from going the first times. Speeders getting out of tickets are a fraction of people that run.

Plus, since alluding is felonious officers actually don't have the ability to use their "discretion" when it comes down to waving off a violation of this magnitude.

Depends on the department. Some specifically request the officer to call off the chase when they feel the pursuit is what's causing the person to speed up and drive faster. When you chase someone, that's only interest is to be faster than you, your actions are pushing that person to go faster. Which increases the odds of an accident. Life is more important than law.

Depends on the department. Some specifically request the officer to call off the chase when they feel the pursuit is what's causing the person to speed up and drive faster. When you chase someone, that's only interest is to be faster than you, your actions are pushing that person to go faster. Which increases the odds of an accident. Life is more important than law.
1st your actions are your own. Police don't cause you to speed. You speed at your own will. You start blaming police for your actions and we then have clearly lost all reasonable perspective. I do think that live is more valuable but I don't think that one should be able to hold life hostage to get away. Police will NEVER just let you go. They will back off and wait for you to make a mistake, which is the right choice. However you get a guy that has faulted and you have the shot, and there is a reasonable belifve that he will get away and cause addition risk (holding people's lives hostage to get away) I have no problem with police eliminating that risk.

This just opens up all sorts of problems. As with mentioned above escalation of force is a major problem. Let's just say said person (you or your wife) are suffering a medical condition such as diabetic shock when they attempt to pull you over. You bail. The officer now has justification to use deadly force. Would it be justified if you were the passenger and the cop smokes your wife because she ran? How would you feel? Do you realize this exact scenario happens quite frequently?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top