JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wondering what the rules are when it comes to weapons in your vehicle? Specifically a mounted holster. I want to have a holster mounted on the under dash of my car. Is this legal? If I get pulled over is it a problem or do I have to have it concealed at all times even when in my car? I do have a valid Oregon CHL. Thanks in advance for your help.

I guess it depends how "in plain sight" it is.

I've been pulled over in my Yukon with it under the steering wheel and not a word was said because it was clearly visible once standing outside the window.

(CHL preferred if it's not in plain sight or any bit obstructed from outside view)

I guess it depends how "in plain sight" it is.

I've been pulled over in my Yukon with it under the steering wheel and not a word was said because it was clearly visible once standing outside the window.

(CHL preferred if it's not in plain sight or any bit obstructed from outside view)

That's where I want to put mine is under the steering wheel.

I did a setup and it cost me $20 to make it.

I bought a cheap uncle Mikes with mag pouch, and then I picked up a strap from the Home Depot and used one screw to set it all in place. Held very well.

With no CHL you have two options:
Lock it up or have it be inaccessible
OR
In plain sight.. Leos dont like that though

Now with a CHL, shoot you can mount it where ever but if you forget about it and some kid steals it from your vehicle.. Odds are you'll be liable or at least scrutinized..

I have the Blackhawk QD roto holster system intigeated into my jeep. Can go from hip to dash in seconds (securely)

@packerfan503 that's good. Fairly cheap/inexpensive. I always had the idea of making it vs buying it but can't beat that price.

ZA_ I've tried to figure out a way to mount a Serpa inside but the draw is always wrong and I couldn't get to the release button unless I mounted it on the passenger side of the hump/center console. My shoulders and wrists don't allow me to go palm up very well.

I have two of the gumcreek holster mounts. Bought a left hand holster so when it is mounted the gun handle is towards the right side of the column. I would say that a weapon kept in this manner was not concealed but then that is just one mans opinion.

@packerfan503
ZA_ I've tried to figure out a way to mount a Serpa inside but the draw is always wrong and I couldn't get to the release button unless I mounted it on the passenger side of the hump/center console. My shoulders and wrists don't allow me to go palm up very well.

Mine is on the left side of the hump/console.... but I mount it so the gun is upside down and it works for me way better than putting it on the passenger side of the rig. It's real close, 1st gear to glock in no time!!

One thing to consider is if you got into a situation where you needed to exit the vehicle in a hurry, you need to make sure you grab the piece. Depending on how far your driving, where you are going, I usually have my 9mm in the belt holster and a .380 sitting in the console in a holster, with another .380 in a holster in the passenger door pocket for my wife.s access. Yes that is 3 guns, pretty much standard for anything over 20 miles.

I personally store my pistol between the seat and center console.6" from my right hand during normal driving conditions. Barrel down and my grip is about 2 "from my knee, not easily seen. but suer easy to grab.

In my Chevy work van, I couldn't stand the standard cheap seat, so I replaced it with a very nice electric leather covered tall backed seat from a Toyota SUV.
It has a stiff panel in the back that allows me to slide a holstered pistol through the gap between it and the seat back.
Out of sight and very easy to reach.

Personally I never take mine off. Now there I a consideration that is not law per-say, a police officer could make an issue out of a handgun in plain sight if there are other people in the car that are capable of reaching said firearm that may or may not be a felon. I know of one story where the wife had a CHL, had the firearm in the center console out in the open, her husband was a convicted felon, he went to jail.

Lets add another cog... In Washington if the gun is accessible to anyone inside the car when it's not on your person, they too have to have a concealed license which is why my wife has one. I just assumed it was the same in Oregon when I got my CHL

Lets add another cog... In Washington if the gun is accessible to anyone inside the car when it's not on your person, they too have to have a concealed license which is why my wife has one. I just assumed it was the same in Oregon when I got my CHL
ouch, thats good to know, thanks for sharing.

Im actually not certain how off body/vehicle carry applies to passengers in Oregon. If anyone knows anything please share.... but as far as I know in the absence of any law then there is no law. I always assumed that as long as the person who is legal to carry owns/claims the gun then all is good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top