JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was told by dispatch that when traveling in Oregon with out a chl or ccw you must unload and leave your hand gun in the trunk. I'm an Oregon resident and I am heading to Idaho. It's there fact in what was told to me?

Not true. If it loaded it has to be out of direct access to the driver, locked in a glove box or center console without the key in the lock. Or zipped in a bag out of reach of the driver. Open carry while driving is legal. As far as Idaho goes I have no idea. Do yourself a favor and look up the ORS for yourself. Dispatchers in Oregon are not sworn officers.

Neither of the above gave you correct answers. If you place a loaded pistol in a glove box or console then it is concealed and must meet the requirements to conceal it, open carry which is legal in a car in Oregon does not require unloading it or locking it away. Here is a decent rundown however keep in mind that it is not updated to show the most current localities that have open carry restrictions. In particular it lists cities in Multnomah County however for the last 10 months or so (Since Memorial Day Weekend last year) the restriction applies to ALL of Multnomah County. It's also a good idea to check the actual statutes and ordinances as well.
Oregon | OpenCarry.org

See that's why I thought some thing wasn't right that person and the office I feel didn't wanna deal with me. So disappointed by our LEO'S IN UNION COUNTY so when I come back can I just have the gun loaded on the dash or tucked in between the seat?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

See that's why I thought some thing wasn't right that person and the office I feel didn't wanna deal with me. So disappointed by our LEO'S IN UNION COUNTY so when I come back can I just have the gun loaded on the dash or tucked in between the seat?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
If you leave a gun unattended in a vehicle then the requirements are different. Not absolutely certain in Oregon. In WA you have to have the vehicle locked and the firearm must be in an opaque container.

Neither of the above gave you correct answers. If you place a loaded pistol in a glove box or console then it is concealed and must meet the requirements to conceal it, open carry which is legal in a car in Oregon does not require unloading it or locking it away. Here is a decent rundown however keep in mind that it is not updated to show the most current localities that have open carry restrictions. In particular it lists cities in Multnomah County however for the last 10 months or so (Since Memorial Day Weekend last year) the restriction applies to ALL of Multnomah County. It's also a good idea to check the actual statutes and ordinances as well.
Oregon | OpenCarry.org

Read the ORS 166.250 Unlawful Possession of firearms. Section 1b possession of a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within the vehicle. Section 3 firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed withing the meaning of this section. Section 4a except as provided in paragraph b of this section, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is withing the passenger compartment of the vehicle. (b) if the vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if: the handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment center console or other container that unlocks with a key and the key is not inserted into the lock...

Like I said to the OP read the ORS yourself do t trust anyone else. Or open carry when you legally can.

Read the ORS 166.250 Unlawful Possession of firearms. Section 1b possession of a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within the vehicle. Section 3 firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed withing the meaning of this section. Section 4a except as provided in paragraph b of this section, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is withing the passenger compartment of the vehicle. (b) if the vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if: the handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment center console or other container that unlocks with a key and the key is not inserted into the lock...

Like I said to the OP read the ORS yourself do t trust anyone else. Or open carry when you legally can.
I suspect the confusion when I was reading your reply was that the concealed stuff was mixed in with open carry. This appears to be more clear in your last sentence here. I would suggest reading all of the applicable ORS and perhaps even keep them on hand at all times even if open carrying. I have the docs for WA saved on my phone to keep them handy.

If you leave a gun unattended in a vehicle then the requirements are different. In WA you have to have the vehicle locked and the firearm must be in an opaque container.

Really, guess I never saw that law :huh: Last time I checked simply under the seat or in a glove box would be more then enough to meet the law.

RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Really, guess I never saw that law :huh: Last time I checked simply under the seat or in a glove box would be more then enough to meet the law.

RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

See, that's what I get for not going back and reviewing the exact wording. Read entirely too many laws in too many states lately. Nice catch.

As others have said, you need to reed the law yourself. I have a CHL so am not restricted by Multnomah Co's recent idiotic laws. Rereading them now is making my blood boil... Basically if you're traveling around the state these days you should just get your CHL since it seems to exempt you from most local restrictions. In Multnomah County, you must also unload your magazines/speed loaders if you are passing through. Keep that in mind. Apparently they want to treat a loaded mag the same as a loaded weapon. Time to do some reading...

I installed a Gun Vault NV200 in my cars.
Lockable steel box, comes with a cable.
Loop the cable around the frame of driver's seat, hook the end inside the box.
Box is large enough for my 1911 and a couple magazines.
If I need to enter a "no gun zone", I can pull it from under my seat, unlock it,
stash my gun, lock it, push it back under the seat.

I have five of them, cheap, convenient, out of the way.
They are not available keyed-alike, so I got 5 keyed-alike locks on ebay.
Took a little fileing on each hole to make the new locks fit.
One key for all 5 safes.

If you leave a gun unattended in a vehicle then the requirements are different. Not absolutely certain in Oregon. In WA you have to have the vehicle locked and the firearm must be in an opaque container.
Incorrect !!
"it must be locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle." nothing says it has to be in any container.

Note: Here is where it mentions carrying in an opaque case. This is not to provide an argument that it is required as I should have done what Nwcid did and verified the exact RCW before posting. On further review I can see that this applies to more than just carrying in a vehicle and therefore isn't really applicable to the discussion here. (Other than to point out why it is important for each of us to verify the RCWs rather than rely on the advise of others)

Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper;

As others have said, you need to reed the law yourself. I have a CHL so am not restricted by Multnomah Co's recent idiotic laws. Rereading them now is making my blood boil... Basically if you're traveling around the state these days you should just get your CHL since it seems to exempt you from most local restrictions. In Multnomah County, you must also unload your magazines/speed loaders if you are passing through. Keep that in mind. Apparently they want to treat a loaded mag the same as a loaded weapon. Time to do some reading...

Remember when they had the silly law that you had to disassemble any "assault rifle" when passing through? I think that was both Multnomah and Clackamas IIRC. Finally it was struck down?

I was told by dispatch that when traveling in Oregon with out a chl or ccw you must unload and leave your hand gun in the trunk. I'm an Oregon resident and I am heading to Idaho. It's there fact in what was told to me?

I didn't read every word in every post....

Seems to me that you just need to keep you fire arm unloaded and out of reach until you get you concealed carry permit.

Do you really want to be driving around the state worrying whether or not you are in violation of state or city or county laws? Then you have the issues of if/when you may run into a LEO, state/city/county/shire LEO. Do you believe the officer will be aware of the exact laws/statutes of his/her jurisdiction? Do you really need to have a firearm with you at this point in your life, some reason you believe your life may be in immediate danger? And you can't wait until you are legally permitted in Oregon and other states to carry concealed? You may be totally legal and have the statutes completely figured out, but that don't mean you're not going to have you life put on hold by some LEO ignorant of the laws.

Maybe I'm just too simple minded, but I wasn't willing take on all the responsibility you seem to be willing to, before I had my CC permit. We did carry open when we fished and hiked/mushroom hunted before we had our permits. This is just my opinion and what worked for me.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads