JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Had a window smashed as well just a couple of months ago, on trash night, right in front of the house. I usually do not leave anything visible in the car but that night I had left my gym bag on the rear seat by mistake.
The thief just grabbed the gym bag and did not even look around for other stuff.
I lost my backup glasses, dirty socks and underwear, a towel, a couple of rubber training knives, and the bag itself......
I did not even realize about the smashed window until I was crossing the sellwood bridge......
Not a fun experience at all.

Anyone else here leave an occasional-use vehicle parked out in front all the time? I drive my truck maybe once a week. It sits up by the street not visible from my windows, 365 nights a year. Because of that, I keep a little toolbag inside the house containing the mandatory papers, stereo faceplate, phone charger, canopy/gas keys, etc.

The truck sits empty with the glovebox open. If anyone looks inside, there's nothing to attract them. And if they break in, there's nothing to take. Same thing at remote trailheads targeted by meth heads looking for easy pickins' after they watch me leave.

Minimize curiosity and conspicuous tempting bait!

Very good points mentioned!

Your BEST bet seriously is to carry your stuff with you. Had my truck raped too awhile back and I started carrying my stuff in a fanny pack not the straightest looking thing lol but kept my stuff safe. that job was going store to store doing resets so I didnt have a safe place to put them while at work so it was my only option. (up to point of molestation I kept the stereo faceplate under the seat (and the SOBs got it! Not the stereo tho so it was just a slap in the face!!) Tried to keep stuff out of sight as to not draw too much attn but with a truck like mine its hard to look inconspicious)

I like the idea of leaving the glovebox open so they can see nothing there.

I would also suggest wiring in a "kill switch" but a KEY TYPE! So IF they do find it they cant just flip the switch. A properly mounted key switch would make it a pita for a crook to steal your ride. Look at your own diagrams and see what circuit would be best to use. NOTE: If you use your actual ignition (or high amp circuit) be sure to wire in a relay as well so your not puttin that much amperage thro the switch (IT WILL FAIL!!) Do what you do BUT DONT TELL US WHAT YOU DID The Crooks WILL read this TOO!!

Anyone else here leave an occasional-use vehicle parked out in front all the time? I drive my truck maybe once a week. It sits up by the street not visible from my windows, 365 nights a year. Because of that, I keep a little toolbag inside the house containing the mandatory papers, stereo faceplate, phone charger, canopy/gas keys, etc.

The truck sits empty with the glovebox open. If anyone looks inside, there's nothing to attract them. And if they break in, there's nothing to take. Same thing at remote trailheads targeted by meth heads looking for easy pickins' after they watch me leave.

Minimize curiosity and conspicuous tempting bait!

A friend of mine does something similar, but leaves the door unlocked and removes the distributor wire.

My wifes Jeep was stolen from in front of our house a few weeks back. In addition to vehicle they got, GPD, Ipod, CB, Tools, Tow Straps, Stethoscope, Blood PRessure Cuff, Blood Pressure Monitor, CD's etc... Moral of the story do not leave anything in new vehicle! And yes deductible $500 and only $200 worth of coverage on belongings... I never even thought to check coverage on belongings since I have never in 40 years been a vicitim of thievery.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads