JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I am encouraged to read that some here are reaching beyond kneejerk rage to examine the facts of the case, and I agree with y'all that:

- The FBI gave him the opportunity to commit the crime, not the inducement. He has wanted to do such a thing since he was 15. Me, I was trying to land a girlfriend at that age, but everybody's got their own priorities.

- The FBI needed to have him go all the way through with his plan in order to build an airtight case against him. Now there's no wriggling out of it - he'll never breathe free air again, period.

But:

- This episode is not reassuring to me that the FBI is on top of the situation. How many sleeper cells are going to be dumb enough to swap coded emails with known jihadists in NW Pakistan? Just like with any criminals, you only catch the stupid ones this easy.

- What about his family? Can they abdicate all responsibility for what a teen boy does in their home? It reminds me of Harris's and Klebold's parents who claimed they had no idea their children were planning mass murder, although there were weapons and parts strewn around their rooms in plain sight:

Columbine: Were There Warning Signs? - 60 Minutes - CBS News

"Where were Harris and Klebold's parents all this time? They have never spoken publicly about Columbine, but in police interviews they said they had no idea about the arsenal of weapons their sons were amassing in their bedrooms - including knives, guns, cans full of gunpowder, coils of bomb fuse, and bombs - more than 100 of them, including pipe bombs, propane bombs and homemade grenades."

Man, I truly hope that our counter-terrorism forces aren't relying on this type of sting operation as their go-to play.
The return on investment (man hours) would seem to be extremely low for catching a "trigger puller".

I mean catching/killing the rank and file isn't the way to win a war, eventually one of these jerks will get lucky and provide the inspiration for others.

I can only hope that we will get the dirtbags who poured their particular brand of hate into this sap's ear.

Buckle-up and take a lesson from the Israeli public (situational awareness and personal courage to continue everyday activities that carry risk). Terrorism's goal is to change the lives of it's target (thus their perception), which it is doing very well. Killing is the by-product, not the primary goal.

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if both ends of the trail weren't being prosecuted. One good thing...on the Pakistani end the process is simplified...all it takes is a Predator and Hellfire missile.:s0155:

I was at the tree lighting with my family last night. This type of thing is actually very common in our great blue state. The biggest problem is main stream society refuses to beleive that Islam is fundementally a violent and opressive religion and until we all wake up this cancer is only going to spread.

I'm closing this hate fest down, it has nothing to do with what happened. It's devolved into a opportunity to take cheap shots at each other, in short it shows that terrorism works as intended!

OK I have gone through and cleaned the thread.

Thread reopen as this is a local and important event.

Please keep this just about this event, avoid the name calling and 1000 year old history behind and concentrate on the relevance from 911 forward. Also leave Obama and Bush bashing out of this as it tends to steer off topic.

Topic:

Portland terrorist bomb plot:
Portland terrorist bomb plot: News, opinion from The Oregonian and other media | OregonLive.com

The guy doing this did it in the name of Islam so even though some may not like to call it what it is, Islam is a factor in this event.

Yawn.

still way more scared of heart disease, car wrecks and factory farmed food.

ps, i live nearby, and i could still give a f.....

Wonder which rights they'll take away now?

Yawn.

still way more scared of heart disease, car wrecks and factory farmed food.

ps, i live nearby, and i could still give a f.....

Wonder which rights they'll take away now?

That's exactly how I feel, you have more chance of dying in a car wreck today caused by a overzealous fundamentalist bargain shopper than you have any chance of dying in a Terrorist attack in your lifetime.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't jump at the chance to enact some Dexter Morgan style payback on Mr Mohamed Mohamud though.

Well, i don't know who dexter morgan is, but, going through the courts is kind of what seperates a just society from an unjust. (it's not the only indicator, just one of them)

Plus, i'm more than a little suspicious of the fbi and the way they set up this guy....

This looks like the family dog lighting the barn on fire, so it can save poor timmy.

Well, i don't know who dexter morgan is.

It's a reference to a character from a novel and now a television show. A serial killer who works with the police and murders criminals who escaped the justice system.

Also used for people to channel their not-so-closeted hatred of others, be it belief difference or race difference, to wish death on them.

The Feds did their job well, and they set the dummy up for charges that'll put him in a cage for life. And if they'd let him go through with building a real bomb and detonating it?

I am very sensitive to the topic of entrapment. I have always had issue with sting operations that target people for drug use, prostitution, etc.

I do not see this as entrapment hough. The man was clearly and actively looking for a way to kill in the name of his god at the time officials intervened.

If a cop dresses as a hooker and says "Hey big boy. You wanna party?" then you have a case of entrapment. If they simply stand on a corner making no over statements, gestures, and taking to no leading action and some guy comes up to them and says "Are you looking to make some money and do some coke?" you do not have a case of entrapment.

Also, this is not a comparable crime such as drug use or prostitution. This is a case of attempted mass murder. This guy was willing to kill and seized the opportunity as soon as he found it. You might feel he is somehow not to blame on the grounds that it was made too easy for him to make the decision but I do not agree.

The main differnce here is that no matter how easy anyone made it for me to kill innocent people I would decline. Even if they handed me a bomb and said Pat Robertson (my least favorite religious kook) is in that building. You can use this to blow up the building while he is there and you will not be caught because tue bomb is untraceable I would say "I am not crazy. I do not kill someone because I dislike them or disagree with them...and I certainly do not endanger innocent people." Anyone that would seize the opportunity simply because it presented itself has serious instability issues.

The level of the crime does matter in this case. Him I say prosecute and hang. In other cases (such as is the hottest female cop in the world walks up to Trlsman's car and says "I am $2 short for the bus. We can have sex if you will lend me $2." and he went for it) I would say "Who was that hurting???" :D

In other cases (such as is the hottest female cop in the world walks up to Trlsman's car and says "I am $2 short for the bus. We can have sex if you will lend me $2." and he went for it) I would say "Who was that hurting???" :D

If he looks anything like his picture, unless she was blind, I'd say it would scar her for life!!! :s0114:

I am very sensitive to the topic of entrapment. I have always had issue with sting operations that target people for drug use, prostitution, etc.

I do not see this as entrapment hough. The man was clearly and actively looking for a way to kill in the name of his god at the time officials intervened.

If a cop dresses as a hooker and says "Hey big boy. You wanna party?" then you have a case of entrapment. If they simply stand on a corner making no over statements, gestures, and taking to no leading action and some guy comes up to them and says "Are you looking to make some money and do some coke?" you do not have a case of entrapment.

Also, this is not a comparable crime such as drug use or prostitution. This is a case of attempted mass murder. This guy was willing to kill and seized the opportunity as soon as he found it. You might feel he is somehow not to blame on the grounds that it was made too easy for him to make the decision but I do not agree.

The main differnce here is that no matter how easy anyone made it for me to kill innocent people I would decline. Even if they handed me a bomb and said Pat Robertson (my least favorite religious kook) is in that building. You can use this to blow up the building while he is there and you will not be caught because tue bomb is untraceable I would say "I am not crazy. I do not kill someone because I dislike them or disagree with them...and I certainly do not endanger innocent people." Anyone that would seize the opportunity simply because it presented itself has serious instability issues.

The level of the crime does matter in this case. Him I say prosecute and hang. In other cases (such as is the hottest female cop in the world walks up to Trlsman's car and says "I am $2 short for the bus. We can have sex if you will lend me $2." and he went for it) I would say "Who was that hurting???" :D

Any chance you have her number? :p

Back on topic, I personally feel when he pushed the button to blow up what he though was a real bomb he lost the right to claim entrapment.

To your comment on entrapment - if he pushed the button and had been misled (i.e., if he asked them if they were federal authorities, law enforcement, et. al. and they'd said no) then he'd probably still have a chance to toss it out. Odds are, being 19 and a foreigner, he's not familiar with our laws and therefore didn't think about it. He's screwed.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads