JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If Captital Punishment is to be effective, How should it be applied?

I believe that:

a) The Death Penalty should be carried out a maximum of 24 months after judicial imposition.

b) If any doubt exists, DNA tests should be required to either estabilsh guilt, or innocence.

c) The first appeal should be held withing six months of sentence imposition.

d) The second (and final) appeal should be held within eighteen months of sentence imposition.

These conditions whould make certain that justice would be swift. No "long term appeals process" would be needed. These conditions would alleviate overcrowding and generate an undeniable "fear of punishment" instead of indefinite dealying tactics by defense counsel. Defense counsel would have to be motivated to accelerate the process in order to attain "justice" for their clients, instead of viewing them as "billable hours".

Opinions?

The expediency of the process can be lightening quick but You have to have a governor that will do the duties of their office according to the law (voted in by the people) first.

And that prosecutors and police who withhold or tamper with evidence that would have otherwise exonerated those convicted are then given the same sentence.

I do not see "Over Crowding" as an issue here, but agree that the "process" should be fast tracked to the limits set by law, and I agree, the Gov'ner/ness should do there frickin job in these matters! Quit drawing things out in senseless tactics of defying the Judgement and enforce the sentence as prescribed by law in a timely manor!

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not seeking "vengeance", I simply want to expedite justice. (Cell space, and all the attendant requirements cost a great deal of tax revenue).

Swift justice (according to our framers) will not dissuade a "crime of passion". A planned crime may be reconsidered when the outcome may include permanent confinement in a "pine box".

True?

Death penalty has been strung out like this for a reason. People who are against it at any cost. The famous line they use is it costs more to kill. That is because they have made it such a mess. In cases where there is any doubt fine. Let them have the years to try to prove it. In the cases where there is no doubt there is no reason to support people like this for decades. That money could be much better used.

Oh don't you know? The reason we keep these air wasters around is so they can be studied. Then, maybe the shrinks will be able to predict the next offender. They'll all knowingly nod their heads as to their findings and nothing will get done because it may violate some perps civil rights.:mad:
Business as usual a? :(

I agree with the idea of carrying out the same punishment on anyone who clearly withheld or tampered with evidence that would have exonerated the defendant. With how its done, whatever its quickest and easiest while allowing the defendant one appeal. The legal system is not in place for getting revenge even if its sometimes more than deserved.

Pretty much i totally agree with speeding up the process but at the same time with this i want everyone involved to understand if they seek this punishment that they had better be right without a shadow of a doubt.

I'd like to give aggrieved family members a shot at flipping the switch, yanking the platform, pulling the trigger, etc. (whatever applies).

Agreed.

I don't like the idea of government killing the governed BUT have ALWAYS believed the family of the victim should decide. Thumb up or down and if down gets to pull the switch, trigger, handle, or choke the life out of the MFr... whatever the family wants.

Maybe morbid and when I mention it always get weird looks but it's one conviction I've always had, ever since I can remember.

Oh, and bring back public executions. Don't want to watch? Don't watch.

What ever happens, I think death row convicts should be permanently confined to their cell and provided a rope. Maybe "self-service" will bring more efficiency to the system. It might even be better than the Texas "Express Lane".

I think before one can consistently and effectively apply the death punishment, we would need the equal application of the law, i.e. no separate tier justice systems where some of the most successful and prolific criminals (aka 'politicians', 'bankers,' etc.) are actually tried, convicted, and duly held responsible without any benefit accorded to them that is from their social standing, class, etc. It's a pipe-dream for sure, but if a society is to have an effective justice system, then there shouldn't be tacit exceptions for certain folks, generally those who have power, money, and connections.
I recently saw a statistic (yeah, another mysterious and random one) that said the U.S. is 18th in the world of nations that equally apply the law to all it's citizens. I have no way of substantiating that claim but I give it some serious merit just by my own understanding and observations.

Last Edited:
Swiftly and surely.
It should also be done with a minimum amount of fanfare and fuss.
We are after all talking about the administration of Justice not revenge.
Andy

Agreed.

I do believe we need to do due diligence to be as certain as possible that we don't apply this punishment to a wrongly accused person, and I believe, in most cases, that is fairly easily done. The years and years and years of appeals is not only wasting resources, but it diminishes the value that capital punishment brings to society - that is, the ability to hopefully deter others who would commit such crimes. We have become a nation of wusses, unable and unwilling to administer true justice - and where we've arrived as a result, is a poorer place.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top