JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I ended up with this and have no idea what ti is but look very old other than somebody
"tried" cleaning it...brasstrigger guard has m stamp, barrel has h stamp.you can see what looks like threads by the cylinder. help me figure out what it is then it will go up for sale

yes, it does look like a '58 rem, seen quite a few of these phonied up, look yery carefully at the "flats" on the barrel, if one appears wider (usually on the bottom) thats where the import marks/manufactuers name were draw filed off. If you can find a serial number that would be a great help. there are some other spots to look, but it's too hard to explain.

On the other hand, the holster looks very interesting, does it have any markings?

duh(on my part) says" patented sept 14 1858, remington & sons ilion newyork u.s.a., new-model
' on top flat of barrel. has brass cone style front sight. barrel sides seem uniform if they aren't would thke actuall measureing to tell.... no serial # any where.. checked with magnifier

as fas as holster has way old scool rivits, copper maybe, looks like a brass ball that the cover strap used to strap to.. stitching on barrel area is verry worn and coming apart

thank so much for all input.... i think my buddy my have gotten ripped

From the picture it is a good job IF phonied but you need to seek expert inspection. There are also a lot of non-firing fakes that used to come out of the Middle East and look real at a quick glance although those were mostly based on earlier, single shot designs. A friend of mine has several he bought in Saudi Arabia many years ago. An episode of Pawn Stars had a guy who paid way too much for one and left very pissed after he found out.

..brasstrigger guard has m stamp, barrel has h stamp.
My bet is on it being genuine. They are not that rare and not expensive enought to
fake in that condition.
I had a senior moment; remembered the "h" stamp. I believe that is an acceptance stamp from the armory. My 1861 Colt has the same markings.:s0155:

stopped by my local shop it real!! holster is real!! yeah!!!! 1860ish

People have gotten very, very good at aging these. The wood grips look way to new to me.
The one in the pic's looks like it has been recently steel wooled.

This is the typical patina found on a old C&B.

dragoonsight03.jpg

Old grips shrink and crack. Exceptions would be revolvers stored under ideal conditions.

patersom03.jpg

The above is new production that I aged, including damaged screw heads and gouged up wood and metal.

Check the thread pitch of the screws. Metric=Italian, uss=original or a very good defarb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow< if I see a Patterson for sale I will look it over pretty good!:huh:
Wondering, why did you do that? What does "farb" mean? I have heard that word
in regards to Civil War reencatments.

Yes it was a real Remington. And I have never seen a faked one. I have seen reproductions which you can buy from

Lyman
CVA
Navy Arms
Uberti
pedrosili [sic]
Cimmaron
and maybe 4-5 others brand.

Almost all of them are made in Italy. And they are sold by quality lots. the best fit and finish going to the companies that charge the most. I've had 3-4 of the Reproductions in fact the first firearm I ever bought was a Lyman 1858 New Model Army repro. Beautiful piece shot like a 4 year old throwing a dirt cold. Replaced it with a Navy Arms Kit version and put some target sights on it it will shoot a 4" group at 25 yards.

Wow< if I see a Patterson for sale I will look it over pretty good!:huh:
Wondering, why did you do that? What does "farb" mean? I have heard that word
in regards to Civil War reencatments.

"defarb" is an Americanization of a French term. Many civil war reenactors well have their weapons defarbed. It's the removal of all markings from the reproduction manufacturer and then you re-stamp original markings. There are several smiths that specialize in this and the guns are clearly marked as defarbs, normally under the wood.

Some well defarb and attempt to pass the gun off as original. They have gotten very good at it as the price on old guns has gone up and up. Many very well versed collectors have been fooled by these dishonest azzhats.

Defarbed Uberti Paterson Colt.

paterson13.jpg
paterson08.jpg

The barrel marking is done incorrectly so it's obviously a fake. Even with this it's fooled several knowledgeable people.

paterson15.jpg

The photos from the OP show grip screw bushing from a modern reproduction, possible replaced at one time.. The loading lever profile looks to be reproduction, again possible replaced.

Old Remington
oldrem01.jpg
oldrem02.jpg

Why on earth would a civi war reinactor make their pistol look old and patinaed like that? After all during the civil war these firearms were NEW or nearly new. I could never figure this out. When I started Knifemaking I sold a lot of knives at Blackpowder Rendevous and guys were always asking me to acid etch or otherwise try to make a knife look OLD. When in fact the Knifes being carried at the time they wanted to emulate were new shinny and very well made.

Why on earth would a civi war reinactor make their pistol look old and patinaed like that? After all during the civil war these firearms were NEW or nearly new

Most the civil war guys do the original markings and a new appearance. The Rendezvous guys like the old look.

I aged the Patterson just to do it. I've got some C&B revolvers that have been used for fifty years and they look as old as ones a hundred and fifty yeas old. Personally I prefer a original new look like this second gen Colt Walker.

Mywalker01.jpg

compared to a original Walker from 1840's

pix262955625.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class